SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_958681346

EXTERNAL vent hood blower motor - need quiet, vibration-free, and MUA

Chris
3 years ago

Hi, y'all have been a lot help so far. Now I'm to the point of framing the house. My vent hood/stove is on an exterior wall, with no roof space above to fit a 8" or 10" duct between the ceiling and the rafters, to then make a 45 degree and run up through the attic where I could put an inline motor. I'll need to run straight up (not a bad option) through the roof, or make a 90 or 45 degree turn and go out the wall. I'm guessing the run would be, from the top of the hood to the roof, only a few feet, as the pitch of the roof isn't very steep. 10' ceiling, and duct would only be a foot and a half max off of the wall, right?

I wanted to minimize the noise of the hood, and originally thought I could go with an inline blower motor, but now it looks like I'll have to go with and external. 36' stove, so I'm thinking I need minimum of 750CFM, max of 900 CFM, especially with short run. Being that the motor will be so close to where I'll be standing in the kitchen, I'm afraid I'll hear noise from outside the house, or vibration felt from the motor, either through the wall or from the roof. Is there one particular brand that's more quiet and vibration-free than others?

Is it worth doing? I really don't want the loudness of an internal blower. If you don't think an external would be worth it, what real life experience does anyone have with finding a truly "quiet" hood with internal blower? I don't think I want Vent a Hood brand.

Re Make-up air: I see where Broan and others advertise the you can indeed bring outside air into the AC ductwork - has anyone had experience with this? I don't really want to go with bringing untreated or unfiltered air into my kitchen.

Size of kitchen: 20x 17, ceiling 10' high, adjoins 20x20' family room on the 20' side, and it's got 14' ceilings. The kitchen on the "long end" adjoins the dining area, it's 17' wide and 13.5' deep to the opening at the kitchen.

Thanks to all who may be able to help me with this!

Chris

Comments (8)