SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renov2018

Stovetop wall hood - CFM and MUA advice

renov2018
5 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and are replacing a downdraft island range with a separate 30" Kitchenaid induction cooktop on a counter (not island) and single oven on adjacent wall. We want a chimney style wall hood over the cooktop. Our kitchen is open to the family room, but the actual kitchen portion is an uneven U with island in the middle and the kitchen is completely open to the adjacent family room. The dimensions of the kitchen portion 7 ft X 15.6 ft (width of kitchen) X 18.4 ft. The cooktop will be on the bottom of the U and the single wall oven will be on the 7 ft wall. The family room extends another 22 ft in length beyond the 18.4 ft side of the U that is part of the ktitchen. The ceiling height in the kitchen area is 8 ft (higher in the family room portion) Using the formula I've seen online, and multiplying by 15.6 (width) by 18.4 (longer wall of kitchen) by 8 (ceiling height) suggests we need at hood of about 600 CFM. However, I have the following questions about estimating CFM.

1)The duct will go into the ceiling and will almost immediately have a 90 degree angle to travel 5.5 ft to the outside of the house. I know that having this sharp angle requires a higher CFM, but how much higher should it be?

2) I have read that induction ranges require a lower CFM than gas, but how much lower?

3) We have a very tight house. We had an energy audit when we first moved in and they were concerned about CO2 return. When we cooked with our island downdraft fan on a higher setting and had a fire in the fireplace (31.5 ft away) smoke would begin to be sucked into the house. Therefore, according to what I've read we should have an MUA installed as well. Is my judgement correct on that?

Sorry that my first post on Houzz is so long, but I am so very grateful for Houzz. It has helped us so much in the process of designing the kitchen.

Linda

Comments (12)