Is your silicone pure or a fake blend?

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

This came up a few years ago and I keep seeing references to the cheat blends. Not being an alarmist but I agree about the differences.

I avoided for years. Then a friend gifted a collapsible funnel years ago. Love it but it is not for cooking. I picked up another that is crappy and does not hold the 'collapsing'. Even stained just from filling spice blend containers.

SaveComment4Like1
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This is what is said to be 'blended'. Not pure silicone. When folded it is not solid but shows a white core.

Save    

Amazon cannot control all the China cheats. I probably have a couple trays that do not seem pure. Most are for freezer pucks....pesto, herbs and such I'm ok with. Baking would possibly be an issue.

I do have the flat lids I like for glass fridge containers.

Oven heat should be a concern.

Save    
bbstx

Thanks for posting this, sleevendog. I often wonder about the safety of silicone. I have an ice tray for making large cubes. It is also often pressed into service for freezing things like caramelized onions. The brand is CasaBella. I bought it at a Viking Range store. It passes your test.

I also have a 4-6 spatulas, most from W-S and a couple from Thermoworks. The ones from Thermoworks come with a hang tag that says “Designed in Utah. Made in China.” They all seem to pass the test, also.

Save    
Fun2BHere

Good to know. Thank you for posting.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Major Changes Open Up a Seattle Waterfront Home
Taken down to the shell, this Tudor-Craftsman blend now maximizes island views, flow and outdoor connections
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Counters: Stunning, Easy-Care Engineered Quartz
There's a lot to like about this durable blend of quartz and resin for kitchen countertops, and the downsides are minimal
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Fairy Tale Gatehouse in Minnesota
This cozy cottage in Minnesota blends fine antiques with reclaimed materials from bridge pilings, city streets and Midwestern barns
Full Story