SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
101newkitchen101

Help with last few finalizations! Advice?

101newkitchen101
3 years ago

Hello!

I need some advice and you guys are always so helpful! I’m moving forward to the next step in my kitchen process and have a few questions as I move towards finalizing.

First...I know from previous posts that my island situation isn’t exactly ideal. I’m okay with it though...I’m used to the narrow spacing and find the prep area useful. So I’ll be keeping that even if it’s not the perfect setup.

I have a walk in pantry, so all food is stored in there. I usually keep spices, baking supplies, and oils in the cabinets though.

My microwave and appliances will be hIdden I n the “garage” next to the fridge. It’s 18 deep. The lower cabinet will house the toaster and coffee pot on the counter and the microwave on a shelf. This stack has 30” on bottom and 36” on top. It’s 27 inches wide.

1. Would you keep the garage in this order, or possibly invert them so the bigger one is on the bottom? Can’t decide which is better use wise and looks wise. I believe the cabinet will come with 2 shelves and with the 30” I’m visualizing just one shelf about 12” from the top that will hold our small microwave. That would leave about 18” (or less because I don‘t know how thick the shelves are) of space down to the counter for the appliances. With the 36” on the bottom I might be able to squeeze one extra shelf in there, or it would just leave more room below for the appliances.

Thoughts on which might work better?

30 on bottom.

36 on bottom.

2. The 9” cabinet under the garage. I originally thought to use it for sheets, but I have too many, wont fit into the 6” of usable space. Thinking I’ll put those above the fridge instead. Good or bad idea from those who’ve done that? I’m 5’6”, so I think I should be able to reach them.

3. That leaves what to do about the 9”. I’ve ruled out a spice rack cause I feel like I won’t be able to read the labels or see what’s in there. Going to put them in a drawer. What about oils? I realized it’s only assessable from one side. Would that be an issue? I saw this:

Another option could be to get rid of the 9” and make the drawers larger. This takes away the symmetry though, which I do like. But more worried about proper use of space than lining things up. What do you think? Larger drawers:

If I do this, I was thinking I could put cooking oils above the microwave shelf? Or the middle drawer next to the range? Are bottles usually too tall for that? I’d probably pick above the microwave.

I also thought maybe to make the 27” garage wider to match the larger drawers, but maybe that makes it too small of a space there by the window. Probably too bulky and heavy looking?

Don’t mind these photos...I photoshopped them to make the changes. Probably not perfect, but just to get an idea.

4. These shelves were a last minute idea. What do you think? Better than putting an upper in that spot? Would you get shelves that match the cabinets or get some wood ones?

5. My sink window is about 10 inches off the counter. I’m adding two windows into the range wall. Would you keep the new windows at the same height? Does that even matter? What do you think of the size and ratio of these windows? I believe they’re 25x53. How does the scale look?

6. I was thinking to add just one 42” base cabinet next to the dw for larger items, such as my kitchenaid. Everything else is drawers. If have a pull out tray there, will my mixer fit? I would probably need to remove the top shelf? Not sure my best bet for that. I’m not going to do a lift...I’m okay taking it in and out. I just need to make sure it fits. May store my airfryer in there too. Is this a good plan for bigger things?

7. Tall trash pull out or trash pull out with drawer? Leaning towards drawer so I can put bags in drawer. I have a tall garbage now, (and no one ever wanting to take it out) so wondering if the smaller ones fill up way too fast?

8. I’m trying to think about how I’ll use the space so I make sure to plan for the right cabinets.

For range drawers on each side I’m thinking:
Top: spices
Top: utensils
Middle drawer: baking supplies (is it deep enough usually?)
Middle: lids
Bottom: Pots
Bottom: baking dishes

Drawers next to sink: towels
Drawers under garage: plastic wraps, tinfoil, etc.

Glasses will be in uppers next to sink.
Plates and bowls either in upper or island.

Island:
Top: silverware

Top: less used utensils
Bottom: small appliances
I have no idea what Else will be in the island.

42” regular cabinet:

mixer?
Airfryer possibly

I feel like I’m going to have lots of empty spots. I don’t know what will go in all those uppers. Guess we’ll see.

Does all this sound like a reasonable plan?

I think that’s all for now.. I can’t believe I’ve made it this far in the process. This has been a long time coming. I’m excited!

Thanks so much for any input! :)

Comments (36)