SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat_herder

Ok, final few questions on acid stain before I try it!

cat_herder
17 years ago

I've read everything everyone recommended that I could find on DIY acid stained floors. I have a few quick gaps to fill before I start it on Thursday.

It's a young slab (14 months old, never lived on). We want a rich color (using Kemiko Cola stain), not a faded pale one you can see through. I've gotten conflicting opinions on how long to leave the first application of stain on the concrete before washing it off. FabCrete recommends 24 hours before washing, and then baking-soda and water. Local pro recommended only *1 hour* after application before washing. (I thought that after 1 hour the stain would still be wet and there would be hardly any change at all to the floor.) He said that after it dries, if i want darker, I can do it again for another hour. That seems like a collosal PITA, doing it one hour at a time, once a day until satisfied. He also said I could cut the kemiko by 1/2 again (instead of 1/1 water, do 2/1) and let that sit longer.

So, first question - how long should I wait on a young slab between application and washing?

Next question - the first time I wash, do I use the baking-soda mixture, or do I wait to wash with that until I'm sure I'm happy with the floor color and won't be applying a second coat?

last question - how hard to you clean the floor after the last stain? One site says you clean until no more residue comes up; Febcrete says you wash gently, don't scrub. Which is it?

Sorry about the long post, but I know I only get one shot at this, and I really want to do it right!

Comments (10)