SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnystudio

Help me turn garage into a sunny studio! :-)

sunnystudio
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I rent a 400 square foot apartment, the rear half of a two-car garage. A new neighbor is building a privacy fence flush against the back wall of my space, covering three of my six windows. My landlord is willing to make some renovations to bring more light into my space. What would you suggest?

I have attached a sketch of the space. Initial ideas include:

1. A second window in the east wall

2. Extending living space into storage area of garage (which would add a door to my space, and the potential for window or door in south wall of garage); if living space extended, where would the stairs go?

3. Would it be worth finishing the attic? (tall enough to stand, but sloping roof on all 4 sides)

I welcome any and all ideas that would bring light and air flow into this space! :-)

Western view (window and door on the left enter living space, window on the right is unheated storage portion of garage)

Southern view (unheated front of garage)

Eastern view: door enters unheated front of building, window into living space. NOTE: above window are two shuttered doors, creating exterior access to attic (if you are tall or have a helper).

Front, unheated portion of garage; stairs to unfinished attic, washer and dryer (landlord would like to weather proof this portion, to protect from freezing in winter). If interior space were extended, what type of attic access could be created?

Comments (25)