SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lafdr

Help me design a new master closet with my garage addition

lafdr
6 years ago

Here is my existing floorplan. Master is at the left end of the house, then a hall to secondary bedroom and kitchen and the rest of the home is to the right of all of this with an open kitchen/DR/LR then two bedrooms and bath for our kids at the far right. What this house is missing is more garage space. There is only a 2 car garage and we want more garage and have a space we can turn into more garage labeled rec room here. This master and master bath were an addition by the prior owner. The second bedroom on this view is the old master.

We want to turn the rec room into a side entry garage, entry from the left side. Above is the current floor plan. The current "rec room" is unusable due to not being heated and cooled. It is more of an enclosed patio than interior space. We have yard access to turn it to a garage.

The existing rec room has a double door to the current master, a single door to the hall by the laundry room, and a current door to the "hobby room" which is a storage room with counters and shelved between the current garage and house. We enter the home through the garage then this "hobby room" that goes into the home via a butlers' pantry off the kitchen (labeled kitchen 2 on the plan) I did not design this home. If we make access from the new garage through the hobby room, it makes the same entry to the home from either garage.

I am sure I want to make some type of new master closet using the double doors from the existing master. What I am not sure about is whether to make a long closet with two doors, the second opening to the hall by the laundry room.

Or whether to make a new master closet, and then make a closet or walk way with from the garage to the laundry room hall. Or I could also do a closet only accessible from the laundry room.

Comments on traffic flow etc with these options?

Thanks for some fresh eyes and perspectives.

Possible remodel floor plans:

All work will be to code and we are aware of firewall requirements between home and garage.

Thanks for any comments.

lafdr

Comment