SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetmagnoliame

Help with design of narrow, sunny spot

sweetmagnoliame
16 years ago

I need help in designing/redesigning a narrow area along the south side of my home.

The yarrow (planted 3 years ago) along the fence in the photo below have become too large for the space and have developed a nasty habit of falling over onto the path (they are currently held in place by plant velcro). The lower third of both plants has turned brown. The collective wisdom on the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum is that this variety is too large and ungainly for the space available. I agree and plan to remove and replace them when the weather cools. The coneflowers appear blistered in this photo, the result of poor sprinkler coverage, but normally do well in this very hot strip.

{{gwi:42478}}The biggest problem (besides the heat) in this area is the limited space for planting more than one "row" of plants on the south side of the path, the right side in the photo above. I'd like something taller against the fence, something shorter in front and a nice ground cover/other small plants in between/around. As for bloom times, I have daffodils, grape muscari and crocus in this area for early spring, and would like to replace the yarrow with something that has a similar long blooming season. The soil here is clay, amended over the last two years with mulch, but still more clay than anything else.

With the exception of a small, "volunteer" blue mist shrub that I need to relocate and some red thyme groundcover, the coneflower(s) and yarrow are the only things planted on that side of the path, from where it starts to the point where it turns. I'm wondering if there's enough space to plant two "rows".

The space on this side of the path is about 24" deep - stepping stone to fence. Just before the path turns, where the yarrow end, this space increases to almost 48" and at the point where the path turns it narrows back down to around 24" or less - stepping stone to concrete patio.

{{gwi:42479}}As for colors, immediately opposite the coneflower(s) is a large blue mist shrub.Across from the yarrow is an open space, with mulch around a columnar cherry tree, a lambs ear, and then a patch of hyssop.

At the end of the yarrow, across from the hyssop, there's yellow primrose, an Autumn Joy Sedum and a paprika yarrow, best described in an earlier yarrow chain as looking like something climbed in it an made a big comfy bed. Last year, with the same conditions, it stood up around the base of the bird feeder - not so this year! There's a mish mash of seeded things here that I need to dig up - a "moon plant" of some kind (blooms at night), plus a sunflower or two and a Parker yarrow (apparently from the parent plants) - basically, a mess that I need to clean out!

{{gwi:42480}}I've considered moving the coneflowers into the space that will be vacated when I move the yarrow. This would put them directly across from the hyssop. What do you think?

The entire side of the path where the yellow yarrow and the coneflower(s) are currently located looks horrible. If I'm going to redo it, I may as well put in something that looks good adjacent to each other, and works well with the blue mist, hyssop and lambs ear on the other side.

If you're not confused by all this, you're doing better than I am! This path area was my first foray into gardening (it was previously an very unsightly patch of grass with an aspen and a truly ugly shrub!), so any changes I make are likely to be for the better. I really like the area at the corner of the house - the hyssop, false sunflower and monarda.......but, think the small space across from that looks almost as bad as that side of the path that's under discussion (currently has silver mound Artemesia and a scarlet dianthus, which clashes with the surrounding colors).

Any additional thoughts you could add would be much appreciated!!!! I've read design books 'til I'm blue in the face, but still feel like I'm making this up as I go!

Thanks!

Mags

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company