SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherylco

Help with designing spot for blueberries/raspberries

cherylco
15 years ago

Hi, I'm setting up for my first raised bed garden here in the Cascade foothills just east of Seattle. Thus far, I put in a 1.5' retaining wall on the south side and backfilled to decrease the slope a bit. Plans are to have 4 4X8 raised beds on the south where I'd rotate crops.

It's a kind of triangular parcel, with the narrow bit on the higher northern piece, which is where I was hoping to put blueberries &/or raspberries. This piece is approximately 14' (east-west) by 8' (north-south). After perusing these forums, I realized that it's probably not feasible as there's not enough room to put both there, right?

Follow-up, using raised beds, how should I set them up in this area? Should the rows run east-west? (the slight slope is north-south). At just 8' wide, I guess that really just means one 2' row if I want to access the plants from both sides, right?? If I made the rows N-S, I could get 2 2X5' rows (allowing 3' to walk around one side). Geez, I thought it was so much space, but it's 'nothin'.

Finally, how much space do I need to allow for berries for two people? I justordered 5 Meekers and 3 Tulameens from Raintree, as they're a little more than an hour from me, in the exact same zone, and these varieties are recommended by the local extension office.....

Many thanks!

Comment (1)