SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_ramage

Chandelier Kitchen Dilemma

jenn_ramage
3 years ago

Ugh. In a nutshell (note: this will read like the math word problem from hell) - open floorplan. Ceilings throughout are 10'6", alcove where fan currently hangs is 15ft. Replacing fan with chandelier...but fan is not centered above kitchen island. Chandelier is 3'6" tall.

1. Should chandelier be centered in alcove or draped to center above island?
  2. Should chandelier bottom be at same height as top of ladder here (4 feet above island) or higher?

Please and thank you - electrician arrives in 4 hours!

Comments (52)

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the chandelier and I plan to hang it here. My question is at what height and whether to center over the island. If someone could help me with those questions that would be awesome...and by the way this house was built in 1906.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

A chandelier should hang 36-40 inches above a table when your ceilings are that high. Honestly, I'd eyeball it and see what you end up with, but it should be in the range I mentioned. You may need some extra cording to drop it down to that height, I would not swag it.

• Related Discussions

What makes sense? Bathroom chandelier dilemma.

Q

Comments (6)
    A chandelier needs to be 8’ above the RIM of the tub, and be wet rated. So unless your tub is -6” sunk into the floor, you dont even have room for a flush ceiling mounted fixture of any type. A recessed damp rated light is the ONLY possibility.
    ...See More

Chandelier and foyer dilemma help

Q

Comments (0)
    We need help deciding on what type of chandelier for our tall sloped ceiling and what to hang on the walls of our foyer. You can see the chandelier from the foyer. It needs to provide enough light but not be too “fancy“ for my husband or too bulky because we want it to not interfere with the view from the foyer through to the back yard. Our plan: -foyer railings stained darker -walls painted in both rooms after the new fixture is installed. It’s a very neutral color now. -possibly have foyer cabinet painted or grey washed -add something above doors? Above wooden flag? -change doors? -change what is on top of foyer cabinet Any suggestions are appreciated. Sorry I can’t figure out how to unedit some of the pictures that were marked up. And our youngest kiddo likes to play with boxes of tissues so that last pic has tissues all over. :)
    ...See More

Design dilemma - chandelier shades

Q

Comments (26)
    I took a combination of the advice here and wanted to say thank you! I’m so happy with the end result and yes, the burlap shades were perfect for me personally! Here is an “after” photo - thank you again!
    ...See More

Huge Dilemma - Staircase Sconces to go with Chandelier?

Q

Comments (9)
    because of the volume, you would need to make them look to scale I would avoid dark fixtures. One great option for you would be to go with a ceramic sconce that can be very discrete and actually painted the wall color to blend away. The one over your art is a bit far away from the painting to look intentional IMO Here is what I would do. https://a19.com
    ...See More
  • jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@megs1030 thank you! Only issue is without swag the island is not underneath. Are you saying keep it at 36-40 above, even though it will be alongside instead of above? And thanks again!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I know you love that chandelier and want to install it. I have an extra light fixture that I fell in love with and simply don't have a place for it.

I think the challenge is that if you hang it as a chandelier, you don't really have the right placement of the ceiling alcove relative to the island and everything will just look like it was stuck randomly in the space.

If you absolutely have to have that fixture, then I would choose to hang it up in the alcove to distribute light and shadow at the same level your ceiling fan would. I would not try and hang it above or near the island at a lower height.

• Shasta
    3 years ago

If the chandelier is meant to light the island then center it on the island. If is meant to light the room then center it in the room.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Shasta - look at the ceiling relative to the island. The challenge is in the installation and positioning of the fixture when the ceiling height changes next to the island.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All of THIS 👆 is what I have been struggling with. Thank you both for getting it! A lot of the things that were in the house on purchase are not my style. I am ok with modern and clean lines...but I like it juxtaposed against old, funky things. For example I despise the fabric on those chairs...but it won't be there for long lol. My point is this is a work in progress and thank you for getting that and not critiquing everything else.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If there were one pic that summed up my style it would probably be this:

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think where your inspiration photo and reality collide is that despite having the appearance of being randomly put together, the inspiration is very much composed as evidenced in the symmetry of everything placed on that wall.

Your room's greatest challenge is that the base of the room is asymmetrical and will therefore throw off your attempt to blend your items together. So your choice should be to make anything built-in as close to a blank slate as possible. Then you can create symmetry through the furniture and decor you place on the floors and walls.

While you may not have liked live_wire_oak's response, it was spot on. That light fixture combined with the ceiling height differences AND the modern chandelier already in place does the exact opposite of laying a blank base for your decor choice. It becomes your choice, and therefore emphasizes the randomness and not the composed look you're going for.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the inspiration photo is literally the other side of the room...my living room - and I am getting rid of the modern light.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Probably should have made that clearer.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And it isn't just that I didn't like what he had to say...it is that it literally did not answer a single question I asked. No I probably am not going to turn around and sell my antique light fixture that came from an early 1900's hotel and that I have painstakingly carted around for 20 years because someone on line doesn't like it - and that isn't what I asked. But I am interested in hearing answers that address why I should or should not place this light dead center in the room, because it is a tricky space. Your answer truly helped, and I respect that you see it differently. The first response addressed nothing and was simply an opportunity to hear themselves talk on my post.

I

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago

That fixture would be more suited to a grand entryway or stairwell. The off center architecture doesn’t need to be highlighted.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have neither here. That is where it was in my original house, but I love the light more than any design rules. Sometimes that's how a home works - you keep what you live and rules be damned. No further input is needed here - thanks.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Didn’t mean to post and run, but had an appointment. Certainly don’t want to make an argument. If the grey wall is yours, you’re definitely on the right track. I used to live in a three story loft condo. Unfortunately the bones of my house made it difficult to implement my style to its fullest. Now I’m in the right house, but my lovely husband gets in the way!

i think your fixture would be best close to the ceiling in the alcove. Curious what you decided.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I like your chandelier and you obviously have vision. I can sure identify with wanting to replace something as you transition the home toward meeting your vision. Your gray wall is so cool, I wish I could see more of your home.

jenn_ramage thanked Mrs. S
  • jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@1929Spanish-GW no big deal...I clearly needed a snicker's bar or something earlier lol. I am still struggling with it honestly. The electrician came earlier today and is proposing that if I want it over the island, we need to remove one of the canister lights (there are four in that same alcove) and drop it down from the closest one instead of swagging (it weighs over 30lbs and he is concerned about the weight). I am completely indecisive and hating the people that remodeled this house right now lol. The primary visible light source in the kitchen being off-center bugs me...we never use that fan so it has been easier to ignore because it is always off. I kind of roughed out the options on the photo and am contemplating...I have till Saturday to make a final decision. Will post the final either way...and here a few more photos for perspectives sake.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And Mrs. S thank you 🤗

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"sketched" is a very relative term here...

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

Centered over island. I think it will be more noticeable that it is not centered over the island than not centered in the alcove. I think 4 ft above the island is too high. It needs to be lower. Can you attach a balloon to some string and hang it to get an idea at what height you think it looks best?

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is what I am thinking...only now minus the swag.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@vinmarks that is at 40" above

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And also while the lights do not match it would put the light in alignment with the living and dining room fixtures.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is with the light centered in the alcove and hanging at fan height

• acm
    3 years ago

Is there some reason we have to answer a question about the kitchen based on a photo from 40 feet away? (that's not to mention the modern chandelier, whose placement I figured was the reason for the distance shot!) Honestly, can you give us one photo of the kitchen for context?

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

Is the light for illuminating the alcove or providing light for the island?

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@acm I took distance shots because all the spaces are open to each other and I felt to see center vs off-center you needed a bit of distance. That being said, more than happy to snap a few pics - and thank you! @vinmarks if you look at the light it only has a socket for a single bulb. I think to provide any type of effective light it may need to be lower - but your question is part of what I am trying to decide.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am still painting the "island". It is actually an old desk and we are getting a piece of marble cut for the top and new hardware.

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Not photoshopped - real live light on top of island. And it will be suspended with the base starting at the top of the ladder it is propped against. Does it really look that huge to you guys?

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@live_wire_oak I think you may have created Godzilla light by accident 😂😂😂

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Hard to see in the picture you just posted as it's blending in with the island. Can someone climb up on a stepstool and hold it where you'd be hanging it so you can snap a picture?

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wish. My nine year old is here and this thing weighs almost as much as her

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@megs1030 my husband just got home. This is the best I can do for the moment, but I held it a bit off-center. Does that help?

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Sorry, way too big. Study the photo and be honest with yourself. P.S. I have a light fixture in a box from 8 years ago for the opposite reason. Only way it might work is up in the alcove, but then I don’t really see the point.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

pps - I am waiting for two vintage floor lamps to replace two I have in the living room From 1990’s pottery barn. While I’m waiting I bought another floor lamp that I don’t have a place for and it will force me to sell a third pottery barn lamp. This is to say, I get it!😂😂😂

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So to compound things...the awesome person that placed that ceiling fan did it before the drywall was in. the electrician is saying he may not even be able to reach that location to install. Gah.

• Lynn
    3 years ago

That is a gorgeous chandelier and I love the history behind it! I would do whatever I had to so that it was installed in the alcove where the ceiling fan is. Once it’s in, I think you’ll be very happy so I say go for it!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Agree with @1929Spanish-GW.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Hang it from the center of the recessed area, done. I assume you plan to change the light in the foreground to pair with it. Are you planning on adding more lighting to the kitchen? if you want the lantern to tell a story put it in a spot where it is a centerpiece, as opposed to becoming cumbersome large fixture over an island... does that make sense?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree...but it got worse. The people who remodeled this house took some interesting approaches - to include leaving that fan with no switch (it runs off of a remote control) and wiring it before the drywall was in...so we can't access the wires to change that. In other words, it can't go in the alcove.

I switched gears completely. I am redoing the guest bedroom as a parlor/family room and going all out - velvet chairs, silk curtains to the ceiling, and floor to ceiling books on one wall. They are hanging the light in there as we speak. It is too big for the space...but centered over the coffee table that goes in the center. It is either going to be crazy dramatic or a hot mess - but I risked it and figure worst case I can take it down.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

The light fixture can run off a remote switch as well............just saying.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Wireless-Light-Switch-Kit/dp/B005B0AY0K?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

you could also add a pull switch to it............very easy. dont hang that big ol thing in a room its not meant for...

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL too late...it is going up as we speak. If I hate it we can pull it.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Well, after all that, I think you owe us some more photos of your beautiful, inspired spaces. ;)

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha! It isn't done yet but I promise to post some things as they are completed. I am still on a quest to find a pretty velvet sleeper couch with a queen size bed in it, and we have to get the bookshelves up

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

well, keep the remote switch in mind for whatever you do replace that fan with.

The light bulb in the sitting room fixture shoule be a globe shape not standard bulb shape that will help for appearance sake , tho I might also try an R 14 short neck that might almost become invisible.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5725/SATCO-S3601.html

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5783/SATCO-S3448.html

• jenn_ramage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you! We were just talking about where we were going to find this!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

also you can get adapters that screw into the light socket, and use a remote.