SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanda_va

As We Approach Independence Day...Remembering Marlen

wanda_va
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Having been at the Kitchen Table for more than two decades, I have met and befriended so many wonderful people. We have shared many memories, laughs, and tears. Sadly, we have lost several very special people. One of those "Empty Chairs" is Marlen--a Cuban refugee who came to America and became a proud citizen. Those of you who knew Marlen will likely enjoy reading an old post of hers; those of you who never had the honor of knowing her will see into her beautiful soul.

As we approach Independence Day...in this time of great division in our country...this post is needed.

Posted by Marlen on Thursday, July 4, 2002

My Fellow Americans:

My husband Karl and I are naturalized American citizens. He emigrated to the US from Germany at the age of 8, as I did from Cuba at the age of 11. Independence Day has always had a special meaning for us both, even before we met.

If you were born in the US, you are blessed with a citizenship which is sought by millions of people the world over, and one of them was me.

When I knocked on the doors of this great country as a shoeless child refugee seeking freedom on 11/11/1961, you opened your arms to me and let me in. You gave me a shot at the American Dream, which I have achieved through hard work, honest sweat and a firm belief in the American Way.

And on 11/9/1971, two days shy of 10 years after I arrived, you bestowed upon me a very great privilege by granting me American citizenship in what I believe is the greatest and most generous country on earth.

And I swear I have lived my life discharging every single one of my civic duties and responsibilities as an American to make sure I am always worthy of the great honor you have granted me.

And I have also kept close to my ethnic roots while learning about others’ ethnic roots, because I don’t believe we are a “Melting Pot”. I am part of a big American mosaic, each little piece beautiful in its own right, joining with others closely to form a wonderful and unique work of art.

And so later on today, as usual, I will let my four male dogs out in the backyard to take care of business, except today they will be wearing red, white and blue bandanas. And as they have done every day since shortly after 9/11/01, they will lift their rear legs and take a leak over a photo of Osama bin Laden which we have tacked on their favorite tree at the appropriate level. And as usual, we will attend our family’s Cuban-German-American Fourth of July celebration along with the 47 members of our family and friends who are expected to attend. Except this year, Karl and I are bringing a very special honored guest: our dear widowed neighbor Sarge, a WWII decorated veteran of Polish descent who is bringing pierogies to add to the buffet table which shall include hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwursts, German beer, Ginger’s lemonade, black beans and rice, Cuban roasted pork, Amish cole slaw, German potato salad, flan, carved watermelons and 9 homemade apple pies made by me.

And I shall wear my red, white and blue pantsuit, and over my heart I shall wear the lovely patriotic pin with which Flamingo gifted me, and which has been part of my outfit almost daily since I received it.

And the fiesta will begin as we all stand and face a very special U.S. flag given to me by President Ronald Reagan, and we shall sing the National Anthem with various accents, but also loud enough for both bin Laden and Castro to hear it.

And we shall remain standing and place our hands over our hearts and recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and sincerely mean every word of it.

And we shall observe a minute of silence in remembrance of all the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice so that freedom may ring throughout this grand land, today and always.

And I am going to hug and thank every veteran I run across, including Sarge and my own husband.

And we shall ask Sarge to lead our traditional conga line around the pool.

And we shall listen to Ray Charles’ America the Beautiful and Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the USA.

And one of the crazy uncles, who always shows up in costume, will probably et a skin rash from all the green paint on his person as part of his Statue of Liberty outfit. And I know the kids will run around pulling on his toga which is actually an old green bed sheet. And he could not come up with a crown so I gave him an old green Happy St. Patrick’s Day hat to wear which will probably slide off his old Cuban green-painted bald head. And for a torch he’ll shine a green flashlight on everybody’s face while screaming “Give me liberty or give me death” and we shall all try to kill him.

And I’ll join others in complaining about taxation, crooked politicians, the weather and the high cost of gasoline and health care.

And we’ll come up with magnificent ways to liberate Cuba and get Osama.

And the babies will need their diapers changed and so will the two old great-great aunts.

And I am going to wave the flag until my arms fall off.

And I wish for each of you what I shall enjoy today: a day filled with American patriotism and pride, family, friends, food, fun and fireworks.

And I thank you, my fellow Americans, for allowing me to be here to a part of it all.

God bless America.

And may God bless all Americans, like you and me.

Comments (35)