German potato salad recipe?

sushipup1

I cannot find my mother's recipe anywhere! Do you have one that you love?

I recently got a small container of gps at the grocery deli and it wa sway too sweet. Is that a PA local thing, like an Amish recipe? Mother's was quite tart, served hot, but good cold as well. Not overly bacon-y either.

All the recipes I'm finding online have a ton of bacon and what seems like a lot of sugar.

SaveComment64Like
Comments (64)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martha Scott

Here is my grandmother's -- as is: But instead of bacon, I use real bacon bits. I then cook the onions in oil. I ad the bacon bits when one would add the pieces of bacon.

GRANDMOTHER'S POTATO SALAD

4 medium round red or white potatoes (about 1 1/3 pound)

3 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces

1/2 c. chopped onion (white or yellow)

1 T. flour

1 T. sugar

1/2 t. salt

1/4 t. celery seed

dash pepper

1/2 c. water

1/4 c. cider vinegar

Place potatoes in saucepan; add enough water just to cover potatoes. Cover; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch slices (do not peel!)

In skillet cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove from skillet. Cook onion in bacon fat until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.

Stir water and vinegar into onion mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in potatoes and bacon. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently to coat potato slices, until hot and bubbly. Serve warm.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sushipup1
sushipup1

That's a lot less sugar than other recipes I've found. Do you find it sweet? I can adjust the bacon. As I recall, mother's recipe also cooked onion in the bacon grease. Being Southern, she cooked lots of things in bacon grease!

Thank you!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Hubby would make German Potato Salad and I have his recipe

3 cups diced, cooked red potatoes (he sometimes used half red and half regular potatoes)

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped parsley

4 slices bacon, diced

1/2 cup chopped onion

2/3 cup water

1 tbsp flour

1/4 cup cider vinegar

2 tbsp sugar (one brown and 1 white adds nice flavour)

1/2 tsp dry mustard

2 tsp poppy seed (optional)

In medium bowl combine potatoes, celery and parsley.

In large skillet cook bacon over medium heat, discarding most fat as it cooks. Add onion and saute until onion is tender but not browned; 3-4 minutes.

In a small bowl combine water, flour, vinegar, sugar and seasonings; stir into skillet. Continue cooking, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.

Pour over potatoes, stir gently to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Save     Thanked by sushipup1
maifleur03

sushi while some do call for adding sugar the sugar taste can also be from the vinegar that is used.

lindac92

My grandmother never used a recipe, but rather a method....and she had Dutch heritage.
she boiled red potatoes, as many as needed (?) peeled and cut up and dumped the hot dressing over the hot potatoes. had to make the dressing ahead.
Fry up some bacon, maybe 4 slices, with a chopped onion. When the bacon is done remove from the pan and add some flour...as much as the fat in the pan will absorb ( so that depends on how fatty your bacon is and how thick it's sliced....) then add some cider vinegar and a little water to thin it out, taste and if it's too sour for you add some sugar. Pour over hot potatoes and add lots of black pepper and toss.....add a cut up hard boiled egg or 2 while you toss.
Remember it always tastes more sour in the pan than after you have tossed with the potatoes.

sushipup1

No, I'm sure I never posted it, Must be 20 years since I made it. I'm pretty sure that Mother's recipe did not have any flour in it, either.

Save    
tjkeen

It's been a very long time since I had it, don't know why as I love it. I recall it being made with oil and vinegar, no flour. If it had sugar, it would have been just a dash. Now I want the recipe.

tjkeen

Found this recipe on foodal.com which seems similar to what I recall minus the mustard.

• 1 1/2 lbs potatoes (red-skinned or Yukon gold)
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, plus more for garnish
  • 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Place potatoes in a large pot and
    fill with water. Place lid on pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
    Continue to cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat, drain, and rinse with cold water until they are cool enough to handle.
  3. Chop into 1-inch chunks and place them in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add onion, herbs, sugar, mustard, vinegar, and oil, and toss until well coated.
  5. Stir to mash the potatoes slightly, until they reach your desired texture.
  6. Add salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
  7. Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.
bengardening

my DM recipe never called for flour either. It was always boiled red potatoes. She sliced them while they were still warm and then put chopped onions in it. Never bacon. She added salt and pepper. her dressing was only oil and vinegar and she only used Mazola oil for it and white vinegar. She had a cousin who said it should be the same amount of oil as vinegar. after she had the dressing mixed in she sprinkled some sugar on top and mixed it in. if I was you I would mix the oil and vinegar in a separate bowl and slowly add the sugar until it is sweet enough for your taste. It was just a dash that she put in a big batch. The first day we always ate it warm. The next day we if there was any left over we ate it cold and if there was not enough for all 12 of us she would add cut up boiled eggs to it. Good luck.

Jasdip

Oh, I've got a Mennonite cookbook that was a best-seller in my region in the 80's. Later tonite I'll see if I can find a recipe and post it. It will be the real deal.

sushipup1

I don't care about the "real deal". I care for my mother's recipe! But it will be interesting to see it.

Save    
cloudy_christine

Oh, I had such fun looking through a box of yellowed index cards, full of recipes I haven't made since I was young. Including one written in big printing by my son, before he could spell marjoram. I was looking for my father-in-law's potato salad, that he got from his mother. That family was 19th century German, not PA German (18th century), and the food isn't sweet.

His method was to drain the potatoes but keep them in a covered pan for hours. Supposedly they'd slice more easily then.

Gene's Potato Salad

Chop about an eighth of a pound of bacon and fry until crisp. Add 1/4 cup of vinegar to the warm bacon in its fat. Cut up 12 small potatoes cooked and peeled, mix with one chopped onion, one chopped rib of celery, and salt and pepper. Pour bacon and vinegar over potatoes, Add half-teaspoon of sugar and mix. Serve warm or at room temperature.

If there are leftovers, this is what you must do to keep it (this was an article of faith):

To keep, mix 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise with milk or cream. The add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.

Jasdip

Sushipup, I didn't mean to come across as a snob, or insult you. I too am curious to see how different it is with the others that are posted. And if it is close to your mom's.

Save    
sushipup1

I know that, Jasdip, my comment couldn't convey the tone intended, which was more to do with my mother's recipe rather than anything authentic. But yes, I'd be curious to see it. All the input I'm getting here is helping me recall details. Like no flour, no raw veggies except parsley or chives as garnish. It's fun to see the different recipes, and I might be able to wing it okay.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

I inherited my Mom's pressure cooker and recipe book that came with it when she stopped cooking very much many years ago. This a wonderful tasty recipe! I made it this past week when my son and family were here and a good friend. It's always a hit.

When I make it I double the recipe and triple the "sauce". I found that when I use my electric PC the "sauce" cooks down too much. So when I double the potatoes I triple the "sauce".

Made in my pressure cooker.

German Potato Salad

6 slices bacon, diced

4 medium potatoes, diced

1 onion, thinly sliced

2 to 3 TBL. sugar

2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. dry mustard

2 TBL. water

2 TBL. parsley

1/3 cup vinegar

Heat PC and brown bacon, pour off fat.

Add potato and onion to pan.

Combine remaining ingredients and pour into cooker. Mix well.

Cook for 5 minutes on high pressure and cool cooker at once.

I always double the recipe.

Friends have tried to duplicate recipe without a PC and have had no luck.

sushipup1

Well, since I don't have a PC.... but thank you.

Save    
Jasdip

I looked for the cookbook, and realized I lent it to a friend a couple of years ago and he hasn't returned it! I wrote to him, asking for it back.

I did come across this recipe. It doesn't have flour in it, has cider vinegar and sliced green onions which is what I always remember with German potato salad.

Hot German Potato Salad

Save    
Jasdip

I threw out a request on the local group for the recipe from Food that Really Schmecks. Here it is. It doesn't say German potato salad, and it would probably be too sweet, to be the recipe you're looking for Sushi.

lisa_fla

Martha your Grandma’s recipe seems like what my mom used to make. I’m going to print it and try it!

Jasdip

I was given another recipe from the online group I requested it in. She said that I'm looking for Swabian style potato salad. Swabia is a region of Germany. The recipe calls for beef broth. Unless you think your mother used that in her salads, I won't post it. And definitely calls for yellow potatoes, which are creamy, unlike russets, etc.

sushipup1

Jasdip, the link to the recipe with cider vinegar and green onions isn't working. I'm very interested in it, and yes, the green onions ring a bell. That other recipe (pictured) is way way out of the ordinary, with sour cream, eggs and butter. Very different. And no beef broth, another more unusual recipe. My grandmother died when Mother was very young, but Mother knew her aunt and other family members. They were from a small German town near Strasbourg, France. I wonder if there is a French recipe that's regional? I'll check into it later.

I am interested in all the variety in recipes, perhaps to try another day.

Thanks to all for the contributions!.

Save    
sushipup1

Thanks, Sherry. Looks similar to other recipes, with the addition of green onions.

What do you think of this recipe? Not my Mother's but it looks good to me

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-potato-salad-recipe-1914223

Save    
Martha Scott

Oh, and here in SE Kanas in the town south of us they do a cold German potato salad -- their heritage is mostly Eastern European though but they still call it German potato salad. Basically it's just boiled potatoes with a garlicky oil/vinegar type dressing and nothing else -- just potatoes and dressing. It's good for what it is but it's not "German" potato salad -- no matter what they say -- LOL!

RNmomof2 zone 5

We like Bobby Flay's. Sound similar to what you are looking for. It's been a hit everywhere I've taken it.

Bobby Flay's German potato salad

sushipup1

Bobby's recipe looks good, I can reduce the amount of bacon to my taste. Thanks.

Save    
shirl36

This inspirational site...

My Mother used to make years ago and I loved that German Potato salad. I haven’t made for long time, this post got me to thinking. Today for lunch we had German Potato salad, fried pork tenderloin cutlets and slice banana with a thinned MW dressing and pecans.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

A shame you have misplaced your family recipe.

Bobby's looks ok. Not sure who wrote the recipe since it is not really the same as his video on the same page. (wild man,😂). Way to greasy for my taste. All the bacon grease, then more olive oil. Recipes not using cup amounts are to be ignored. He loads on green onion and red onion. His video uses much more mustard than the posted recipe.

Mine is similar though. More for 5 pounds of potato. Cooked, then quartered or similar size. I do think it is important to toss the dressing while the potatoes are hot/warm.

I also use the inner tender few stalks and leaves from celery. Minced. And a bit of green onion, not 6. 1/2 a red onion. I put my dressing in a pint jar with the chopped red onion and shake. It sits while the potatoes cook. I can't afford waisting an entire onion just in the potato cooking water, then discarding.

Can't imagine using another 1/4 cup olive oil after all the bacon fat. I do like the basic pure potato flavor that has soaked some vinegar mustard dressing while warm. A bit of veg should just be a supporting partner.

Never heard of the addition of flour. I suppose if it is added to the bacon fat it would make a bit of gravy?

I've often added mustard 'flour' as well as dijon. Or a grainy mustard. Never sugars. Vinegars are often fruity enough.

bbstx

@sushipup1, how’s this for authentic - hand written and annotated! I called a friend from your hometown thinking he might have his mom’s recipe and that perhaps it was a recipe that had circulated amongst all the ladies of their era. This is not his mom’s; it is his wife’s. She’s not from the same town, but she is a good cook. Click on photo to enlarge.

lindac92

Hmm...no bacon...

colleenoz

Sushi, I have a feeling Lars' grandmother is from around the same part of Germany. You might PM him and ask if he has her recipe.

sushipup1

I never thought that Mother's recipe might be "authentic", it's just what she called German potato salad. bbstx, that's another recipe with flour and mayo!

Save    
bbstx

I saw that! But just the teeniest bit of mayo and no sugar. I’ve got 2 cook books in the attic from the area. When things cool down a bit, I’ll go up to see if I can find them. Maybe they’ll have a recipe similar to your mom’s.

happy2b…gw

I am planning pork tenderloins for dinner but had not given any thought to the sides until I came back to this thread and saw shiri's 36 lunch photo. So I will be making German potato salad today and I even have bananas.

sushipup1

Thanks, Sherry. Colleen, Lars posted the recipe and it is closest to Ina Garten's Warm French Potato salad that I linked to above. That just feels more familiar than most of the others, lighter, and the sort of thing my mother liked. I think I'll do that with green onions.

All these recipes are a real inspiration.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The Ina Garten recipe looks fresh and light, with olive oil and chopped herbs. Bacon and espec. bacon fat is pretty heavy. You could approximate the bacon flavor in a more healthy way by adding chopped smoky almonds.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
sushipup1

Well, look at it in a more personal way. My mother made a wonder warm potato salad that she call "German", but in reality was much more that French variety. So it's not "authentic". I was looking for ideas to help me recreate my Mother's recipe, and everyone has been very helpful. I'll take the fake one that tastes like home any day over the "authentic" recipe which is probably what I got from the deli and we didn't like much. And I don't think it's necessarily a "new age light and healthy" but a French salad in it's own right. Different strokes. And Elmer, I might add a little bacon in the form of a very crisp and well drained crumble on top, perhaps no more than one or two rashers. But the almonds are a good idea, too.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It looks like someone deleted some comments. Including a contemptuous response to my saying I preferred a recipe without bacon that appeared to be fresher, lighter, and more healthy. Suggesting that "new age light and healthy" was a pejorative somehow. Thanks for deleting them.

Sushipup, I think you've found some good alternatives.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I delete anything you comment on Elmer, always. No matter what.."

I don't pay attention to who says what or single out anyone in making comments or in deciding what to say or do, so what you may think you're experiencing isn't there. Other than that seems to be what you do.

It's an odd practice but it's your choice. Too bad.

1 Like Save    
twoyur

I have my family's Alsatian Potato salad recipe. It has no flour but uses mustard to slightly thicken the vinaigrette. I would have to type it up but will if you are interested . One note some members of my grandmothers family did use beef stock others thought it heresy

I am offering this because Strasbourg is in Alsace

sushipup1

Found this one, is it similar to your family's recipe? The mustard really sounds good.

Alsatian Potato salad

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

PS - You're welcome to delete your own comments but you're not welcome to delete comments others have made simply because you disagree with them. That's not how public conversation works and I think you know that. "You" know who you are.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
happy2b…gw

I saved all the recipes to try later, but yesterday I served Jasdip's recipe and it was a delicious side to the pork tenderloin. DH commented favorably and enjoyed it too.

twoyur

Sushipup;

It is similar they call for Dijon we use a whole seed Alsacian mustard. Not quite as sharp a Dijon. Over the years I believe everything from guldens brown to coleman dry pwder has been used including Dijon.

I like the texture the whole seed brings

Jasdip

Happy2b; Thanks for the favourable review from you and your DH.

Hubby made 2 potato dishes that we loved, this one and one using regular and sweet potatoes with olive oil and a ton of garlic cloves. We loved that one and he made it regularly.

Jasdip

"I delete anything you comment on Elmer, always. No matter what.."

Wow, I have no idea who said this, but it's pretty sad when someone you don't know gets under your skin and has you upset enough that you would do this.

dallasannie

ah! potato salad is one of those things that are a million different ways to make it.

I find that much German cooking and much of the Amish cooking to include a great deal of sugar in what should be savory dishes.

There really seems to be a penchant for that sweet taste. I don't much care for it. The last time I was at a German restaurant, in the US, I found that almost everything on my plate had some measure of sweet to it. It got to be tiring. A little, yes. As much as that? no

sushipup1

I like a whole seed mustard called Plochman's Stone Ground. I used to get in the stores in CA, but couldn't find it here in PA, so I had to order it on Amazon. Yes, that would be a nice touch, I think.

Save    
bbstx

I see where I can delete my own comment, but I don’t think anyone else can delete my comment.

sushipup1

On the Hot Topics forum, several users gang up and delete threads they don't like by reporting "Abusive". It takes more than one person to do it, and it's subject to review by the admin staff.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Not that it matters, it doesn't, but what I said that sadly seems to have put a bee in your bonnet is this:

"The Ina Garten recipe looks fresh and light, with olive oil and chopped herbs. Bacon and espec. bacon fat is pretty heavy. "

I had a different opinion but made a grammar error in expressing it. Do note that several people "liked" my comment. Sorry.

Every person and every opinion should be welcomed. No one should feel they have to leave just because views that differ from their own are expressed.

stacey_mb

We were at Demel restaurant in Vienna a few years ago and with our lunch was served the most delicious potato salad. It was a bit "brothy," not made with mayonnaise like our usual variety and I don't remember it being especially sweet Our dessert was more than delicious too!

lizbeth-gardener

Sushipup1: If you haven't already found a potato salad, you might want to check out the blog: afeastfortheeyes.net. The blogger is a CA gal of german descent. She gives lots of tips on making the salad and has two different recipes for German potato salad. One that comes from the Swabian (SW) area of Germany without the bacon and her mother's recipe with bacon (there are more differences than just the bacon). She also says Germans never serve potato salad hot, but rather room temperature and mentions that the northern Germans use much more sugar. Many positive comments on her bacon version from people of German descent. I'm glad you started this thread as I'm never satisfied with my potato salad and I'm going to give these both a try.

lisa_fla

Martha-your Grandma's recipe is exactly what I remember my Mom making!!!! I love it!!! The only thing I did different is to using 1/4 of the sugar because gets was tart. I just emailed the recipe to my sister.

Save    
bbstx

I made the Kartoffel Salat from lizbeth-gardener’s link above. First, I need to disclose that it was more of a riff on the recipe than the recipe. For just DH and me, I did not need a recipe that called for 5 lbs of potatoes. I used all of the ingredients except the chicken stock which I totally forgot about. But I did not necessarily use them in the amounts called for in the recipe. I thought it was very good. My only “complaint” is somehow the red wine vinegar plus the rice wine vinegar came out tasting similar to a pecan vinegar I have. It wasn’t bad, just unexpected.

Save    
cloudy_christine

Pecan vinegar! Cool!

Save    
bbstx

@cloudy_christine, Perel‘s Spicy Pecan Vinegar is the best thing in the world. It is not something I would have bought ordinarily. My secretary included it in a Christmas gift basket one year. I have since bought it multiple times. I used to be able to get it from a local gourmet shop but now I buy it from the manufacturer. Last time I bought a box of 6 bottles and gave a few bottles as hostess gifts. P.S. I have no idea why it is called “spicy.” There is no heat to it at all.

1 Like Save    
cloudy_christine

Wow, it really exists! Thanks, Bbstx. I thought it was an interesting idea. I'm glad to know it's not really spicy. I want to try it.

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

bbstx: That's good to know. I made the Swabian potato salad from her blog and we thought it was just so-so. I will try the one with bacon next time.

Save    
sushipup1

I wound up making the NYT French potato salad with green onions, and it was just what I wanted. Thanks to all, lots of variations and great ideas here.

Save    
yeonassky

It wants me to sign up to the website to see the recipe. Is it possible for you to copy and paste here? Thanks.

Save    
sushipup1
    pounds small russet potatoes
  • ¼
    cup dry white wine
    tablespoon white-wine vinegar
    tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • ½
    teaspoon salt
  • ¼
    teaspoon white pepper
  • ¼
    cup olive oil
    tablespoons finely chopped green onions
    tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Ingredient Substitution Guide

• Nutritional Information

Preparation

1. Scrub the potatoes and drop them into a saucepan of
    enough boiling salted water to cover. Boil about 30 minutes, just until
    the potatoes are tender when pierced with a small knife. Drain. As soon
    as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and cut them into
    1/8-inch-thick slices. Place the potatoes in a large shallow serving
    dish. Pour the wine over the warm slices and toss very gently. Set aside
    until the potatoes have absorbed the wine.
  2. Meanwhile, use a small whisk to beat the vinegar,
    lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl until the salt has
    dissolved. Add the oil by droplets and whisk until thickened. Whisk in
    the green onions. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently.
    Recheck seasoning and adjust if necessary. Sprinkle with the parsley.
Save    
sushipup1

PS, I'm not signed up for the NTY website, and I got it on google.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Oh, I like the addition of fresh lemon. I plan on making that tomorrow. Very similar to what I usually do. Less olive oil. I'll start with a tBsp and taste.

NYTimes recipes are usually found in a google search if the recipe name is stated.

I'm making EdnaLewis Corn Muffins today. It is found on various blogs and such.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Thanks sushipup, that looks delicious. I'd describe it as a type of potato salad, potatoes with a classic French vinaigrette dressing (lemon juice and vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard). I'll look forward to trying it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Christmas Recipes From ‘Love the Coopers’
Get the recipes for dishes seen in the new movie opening November 13
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Factory Cart Inspires a Dream Cooking Space
These homeowners' kitchen was almost nonexistent, so they whipped it up from scratch. See what they cook there and get the recipe too
Full Story
Kitchen Design World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story