SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Two Exciting First Flowers Ever on Friday

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I had three ffe's today, and two were very exciting. The other was a horrible splotchy mess. But I'm sure after I spray the rest of its buds, it will have a beautiful bloom down the line. We had a coolish night, so daylilies were taking awhile to open today.

The first ffe is for Rosie Cotton's Ribbons, which is Hoosier Nan's intro. It took it until 10 to open fully, but when it did, Wow! Great color and edge! It's a beauty, Nan! What is the story behind the name of the daylily?

The other ffe never opened fully, but you can see the fabulous pattern and the potential there. It's Warm in Winter from Floyd Cove. The original scapes were cut off before it was shipped. This is on a rebloom scape. I can't believe how wide and colorful the sepals are! Pollen went on everything that remotely had a pattern.

Memphis looked lovely this morning. I finally moved it next to the house last year. It's still only two fans, but those fans are gigantic and the scapes are 33 inches tall. The first blooms are larger than I've ever seen them - 7.5 inches. It's registered at 6.75. Hopefully it will multiply and prosper now that it will be warmer in winter.

Next I want to show off some of Dearest Valentine's babies. The first cross is of Zuzu's Treasure X Dearest Valentine.

Here's Dearest Valentine from yesterday.

Here's Zuzu's Treasure

When the first one bloomed last year, I was a bit disappointed in it since it was small (5 inches) and didn't have an edge. I did think the lavender color and white watermark were good and planned to offer it up for adoption at the end of this season, leaving it in the bed to see how it would progress. This year the blooms are 5.5 inches and the dormant foliage is super husky, dark green and wonderfully lush. And the plant has inherited Dearest Valentine's propensity for instant rebloom on three of the four fans. It has 15-17 buds on 32 inch scapes. Also it sets every pod. So It's earned its place as a selected seedling.

This is its sibling, a near white bushed pink on the midribs. This one has a six-inch bloom on 36-inch scapes. The best scape has 24 buds. Again, the dormant foliage is gorgeous.

The next one is Seedling "Rubber Maid" x Dearest Valentine. Another dormant with instant rebloom. 6 inch bloom on 26-inch scapes.

Here's Rubber Maid, the mama.

Here's Rubber Maid x Dearest Valentine, another near white blushed pink

Here's another baby from Rubber Maid. This one is Rubber Maid x Pink Aloha. This one is either dormant or semi-dormant with lots of dormancy. I showed this bitone last year. This bloom has the deepest color I've seen so far. It came the day after a rain and cooler night temps. I moved it to a better location last fall, and so far haven't seen an increase in buds. It has 12-13 buds on 24 inch scapes.

Debra

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz