Speaking of bananas

bragu_DSM 5

It brought to mind this old family story, from the other side of the family.

When my, now passed US Marine Iwo Jima survivor [he was 18] father-in-law was younger. He pilfered a banana from a large bunch gotten at the store. Right before supper. He was allowed supper, and then got his 'just dessert.'

His 'punishment' was to eat ALL of the remaining bananas... at least five pounds... in one sitting.

He got quite ill, and never liked banana in any form up until he passed at age 84 about 10 years ago.

SaveComment18Like1
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

Sometimes I think those types of punishments were way more effective than our "time-outs" of today. Obviously, re: bananas anyway, lol!

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Yikes...it makes me ill just reading about it! :-O

Save    
seagrass_gw

Back in the early 60's, my oldest brother got caught puffing on a large cigar that he found in the glove compartment of my father's car. My dad made him smoke the whole damn thing. He was green for days.

1 Like Save    
bbstx

I have an aunt who is only 9 years older than I. When we went to visit my grandparents, Daddy would give my aunt enough money to buy ONE twin pop. The idea is we would walk to the corner grocery, she would buy the popsicle, and we would split it. She *always* bought a banana flavored twin pop. I wanted “red.” To this day, I cannot abide anything banana flavored.

Save    
party_music50

I feel sorry for anyone who needs to steal food. That's a horrible punishment and it far exceeds the crime.

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

well, in a family of seven kids, he probably wanted to make sure he got one because of the 'pecking order'. He was not on the top of the 'food chain.' Second from the bottom ...

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yeah, that seems abusive to me. Maybe he was hungry. The other day, I was listening to a woman from a large Catholic family with many children and little money who said she was always hungry as a kid, and super skinny, but was made to feel too ashamed to ask for more food.

I thought this was going to be about some new ideas for using up extra bananas. which I have right now. I'm going to dehydrate them, I think...

1 Like Save    
party_music50

Criminal.

Carol, for your bananas, I'm pretty sure this is identical to the recipe I use that came with my microwave. I love this stuff -- Microwave Banana Nut Coffee Cake. I skip the nuts in the batter and use lots of sliced almonds in the topping. Yes it's fabulous even when cooked in the microwave -- it's quick to make and it doesn't heat up the kitchen. :O) eta: not sure my recipe has cinnamon in it, but either way I don't add it.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Thanks, that looks good, but no microwave here. I did use several overripe bananas to make banana bread muffins, and the other ones are dehydrating as I write this. I like to keep them kind of soft and chewy - nothing like those tasteless ones sold in stores. These turn out like banana fudge.

1 Like Save    
party_music50

I finally got a dehydrator but haven't tried it yet -- are you just slicing and dehydrating or do you treat/coat them somehow?

Save    
seagrass_gw

Our large grocery store, Stop & Shop, has a display right inside the doors near the produce section with free bananas, apples & oranges for children when they're shopping with their parents.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I've seen that at a number of stores - nice idea, but kind of sketchy these days, I think.

And I slice the bananas diagonally to make long slices about 3/8" - 1/4" thick and dry on low heat. I spray the racks with oil first, or the bananas stick very badly. When I dry other fruits they don't need anything to keep them from sticking, but apples need some lemon or lime juice so they don't get too brown.

1 Like Save    
cloudy_christine

I took the story to mean that the bunch of bananas was in their home, so he wasn't stealing. The idea of kids being made to eat food that makes them sick is really horrible to me. He would have been a little boy during the Depression, and that's probably why his parents were so harsh.

1 Like Save    
Lars

I expect to have ripe bananas in a few weeks, but I don't know how many I will get.

4 Likes Save    
bbstx

@Lars, let us know how your bananas do! I used to have banana plants, mainly because I needed some large greenery in a side yard. They would make bananas but so late in the season, they never ripened.

I can remember going to New Orleans with my parents as a very small child. We went to the docks to watch them unload bananas. At that time, they were not shipped in boxes but rather were large stalks carried over the stevedores shoulders. For a little kid, it was really exciting!

Save    
Lars

It looks like it is putting out many more bananas, and so I'm not sure how many of them will be able to ripen on the tree. It is possible that it will make small bananas, but I'm okay with that, since it is making so many.

I'll have to replant the pups after the bananas are done.

1 Like Save    
Solsthumper

Lars, you’ve got a lovely bunch of bananas!

Have you made any plans for the blossoms?

In Cuba, people use everything, from the leaves to the fruit—including the highly-nutritious banana flowers (or hearts). Either raw or cooked.

I never tried either, because I didn’t learn to appreciate the fruit until much later in life.

Back then, my favorites were guanábanas, mamey, mamoncillos, and a myriad others, except bananas. But I’d give (most) anything to grow tropical fruit trees here in the mitten.

Sol

1 Like Save    
Lars

I do have some plants for the banana flowers, but I'm not sure when to cut them off. I didn't know they could be eaten raw, however. I also have some plans for the stalk, after I cut down the tree when it has finished fruiting.

My favorites are also guanábanas and mamey, but I have not grown those there successfully, although I do have cherimoya, which I like as much as guanábana.

Here's how the flower looks now:

Do you think the flower is ready to harvest? I wonder if I have pulled too many petals off.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms Perk Up Your Bedding’s Personality
Nix that whole ‘bed in a bag’ thing in favor of artfully arranged separates that speak to the imagination
Full Story
Decorating Guides Design Mystery: Why Do Pineapples Sprout Up in Home Design?
Early Americans were bananas about pineapples — and we’re still reaping the benefits of the sweet fruit’s symbolism today
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Simple Lines and Bold Color
When imagining a new look for this space, the designer started with orange
Full Story