SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrybundtcake

Screws that won't snag my stuff

I'm making a shelf from plywood for inside my armoire. (I've posted about it without much response ... so new question new topic.) I had a small shelf that used to hang, but issues with the hanging weight and swinging made it more practical to have it be a normal shelf, so I flipped it onto its legs, but now the screws are a problem. They protrude out of the usable surface, where they can damage things.

I'm sizing up the shelf, since it's no longer hanging, and I was planning on reusing the dowel legs, since they're the right height, but I need to address the screw issue. Right now I just have the new board cut and sanded for staining. If I should be drilling any holes or anything, this would be the time, so I can resand those areas before stain and varnish. Board is 1/2 inch birch plywood and will be stained espresso.

My first thought was to countersink the screws, but since the shelf is plywood, that seems like a recipe for a splintered mess.

I've looked at funnel head screws that are designed to self sink in plywood, but I wonder how that actually works.

I've also seen covers that snap over the screws, and that kind-of fixes the snagging, but flush would be better.

Or is there another way to do this that doesn't involve screws?

Any ideas welcome!

Comments (11)