SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kssue

12HP Briggs & Stratton carb mounting bolts won't stay put

kssue
11 years ago

I have an old TSC Huskee model B3912-230 with a 12HP Briggs & Stratton model 280707, type 0411-02, code 91050311. I have posted various starting/running troubles here in the past and am always in awe of the great help and advice that has helped me get the troubles resolved (thanks especially to Mownie...hi Mownie!). Current problem is very simple and just seeking advice on best solution.

The two small bolts that hold the carburetor to the engine body have been coming loose, with the obvious loss of power and subsequent stalling that goes with the leak when the carb becomes loose. Lacking the correct size star-shaped screwdriver I was having trouble tightening them sufficiently to begin with when I first discovered they were loose; managed with a regular no 2 flat head to get them seemingly tight (a socket won't fit around the outside of the bolt head; space is too tight), but then the normal vibration from the running engine shakes them loose again (doesn't SEEM like excessive vibration anyway).

Eventually the top bolt actually popped out and disappeared into the lawn, which of course leads me to believe the bolt hole in the engine is somehow stripped. Having no luck finding the missing bolt after a little looking (forget THIS!), I tracked down a couple replacement bolts (B&S approved replacement part for old discontinued part; just has a thankfully phillips-slotted head instead of the other aggravating buy-another-tool one), and while I was able to tighten both the new upper and original lower bolts (the muffler shroud thing blocks getting that one out without and ordeal), it feels like it is barely tightening on the inside end of the hole at the end of the bolt; you have to press in pretty firmly with the screwdriver when screwing it in to get it to "catch" and tighten, otherwise it just spins in the hole. So my question is this. Does this sound like a stripped hole, and if so, do I have to do the drill-and-tap method to fix it, or can I try a slightly larger bolt, or liquid weld, or something quick and easy like that? Am I maybe not getting sufficient torque on the bolt? It just seems like the top one is barely catching the threads at the end before it will tighten even though you have to screw it in, and then when the mower is started it just shakes loose and falls out. GRRRR. So a stupid loose bolt is rendering and otherwise-functioning-just-fine tractor mower inoperable, since the carb is more or less left dangling on the bottom also-loosening bolt every time the replaced top one pops out. Ok well not literally dangling but...

Also wondering if the gasket between the carb neck (throat?) and engine might be suspect, since the bolts pass thru it, and it is an old mower and probably should be replaced anyway; would that have any effect on the bolts staying tight? Just a stupid mechanical issue but not sure how to handle it...thanks...

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz