SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awedge_gw

Briggs 16 V-Twin Won't Start

awedge
12 years ago

Looks like I might be able to get some help here so thought I'd Try. Grab a beer or some coffee, it's a long one.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 16 hp V-twin Model# 305447 Type=0079-E1 that in mounted in my van used to run carpet cleaning equipment. Last week the engine started running rough and was putting out terrible exaust and gas fumes inside the vehicle. If you gave full throttle it would throttle up but not to top speed. I got to looking around and found a head gasket leak. I got the gaskets and replaced them, figured while I have it apart Might as well rebuild the carb too. Did both. Re-installed the engine and now it just will not start, as if it is dead. First thing to do - fresh charge on the battery = nothing. Tried crossing over from the solenoid to the starter and nothing = replaced the starter, still dead. Took the battery + cable and touched it to the starter, it turned over but would not start, starter must be good = replace the solenoid, still dead. Guessed maybe the ignition switch might be bad, if you turn it to the first position, the electric water pump comes on but turn all the way to start and dead. Put new ignition switch in = still dead.

At this point I have no clue where to even look next, my only thought is the points/ignition coils. But this just seems that it would not give spark to the plugs, not keep it from tuning over at all??? Am I wrong on this, I think I have pretty much replaced everything on the electrical side for starting. At this point I don't even know if the gaskets and carb worked because it won't start. I am losing a ton of money and any help would be great!! Thanks in advance.

Art

Comments (30)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!