Face Mask Pattern: Easy, fit's perfect, NO fogging your glasses.....

nicole___

I found a face mask pattern "we" really like! It's got a video if you need instructions....or....just click on the photo, it enlarges...and print it on your home printer. It needs no modifications. I made 4 yesterday....and my sunglasses no longer fog up...I can see my toes....not getting hit in the eye ball.....☺☺

Sammy and aok27502 asked that I share my pattern and results, which is why I'm posting this. I didn't want to take over anyone elses thread.... Link for pattern

Note: The branch camo fabric is in with the Halloween fabric @ Joann Fabrics. ☺

Note: If YOU have one YOU like....PLEASE post it to help others....

SaveComment49Like2
Comments (49)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aok27502

Thank you!!

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

My comment would only be for local people -

I have had a terrible time finding a face mask to fit, they're all too big. The one that fits best and gives some breathing space and also has a space for a filter is the ones that our local soccer team (the Whitecaps) had made to support the Aquarium. I don't know who actually made them but they were a fundraiser and so cost a little more but thought I'd just mention it. Over a million dollars was raised.

2 Likes Save    
nicole___

When I was in line, checking out @ Joann Fabrics, two ladies were talking about the mask-making business they each had. The one lady had sold 400 masks @ $10 each. $4000 she'd made! The other lady used bright red with white polka dots fabric, then machine embroidered either Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop on the side, about 4" long. Both had started successful businesses from this COVID disaster.

I watched several mask making videos. One used an 11" pot lid she drew around and the crafter hand stitched it. There are a LOT of patterns out there.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Those masks look a lot like the ones Joann Fabrics has on their website, but the linked pattern has a lot more details/directions than the Joann one.

Joann's pattern has different sizes, and they also have pages of directions for a lot of different styles/designs...

https://www.joann.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-joann-project-catalog/default/dwaf161eab/images/hi-res/project/pdf/182110799P204.pdf

https://www.joann.com/projects/face-masks-and-coverings/

1 Like Save     Thanked by nicole___
OutsidePlaying

We have a group here, North Alabama Mask Makers, which has made thousands (I believe it’s over 17,000 now). They have provided them to hospitals, medical facilities, and other businesses who requested them. Supplies have mostly been donated but some have been purchased and given to the sewists who have labored for weeks making them and the ladies who delivered them to specific drop points for pickup. They have a wide range, and make beautiful masks. For free. I know of smaller groups around who have done the same.

I don’t begrudge those making some money off masks, but I truly admire those who have donated their time and skills to this effort.

8 Likes Save    
chisue

Is there a more comfortable N95 mask? I need protection from other people. It's not enough for me to protect them from me with a cloth or 'surgical' mask.

1 Like Save    
graywings123

chisue, is it possible your N95 is too large for your face? There is a small size of the N95, it's model number 8110S.

small size n95

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

I am still sewing masks. So far, I have given away about 250... and sold about 20. Mine go for 5 bucks when I sell... and the selling just started 2 weeks ago. When I find out, someone is in "desperate need" I hand one or more over.

I had a pretty hefty fabric stash, but recently bought some fabric more suited for Native Americans, and some more suited for guys.. the latter are baseball and football designs.

Nicole, I may try what you posted... but at the moment I have fabric cut out for 75 or so more.

I have learned from the early ones, they stay better after I put 3 seams side by side over the folds.

Chisue, I wish, I could help you out... but don't know how.

Moni

10 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
nicole___

My latest creation. ☺ Hobby Lobby has cool fabric. Moni I like your fabrics and it's good to know about triple stitching the ends.

*If anyone finds black fabric with a big orange chameleon on it & leaves? I'd like that fabric. Saw a mask with it. Can't find it anywhere. I'm planning on making a few extra.

5 Likes Save    
jtc

Nice masks Nicole. The first ones don't look like the linked pattern as yours have a curve at the chin while your last one looks like the pattern to me.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

Nicole, do these have a filter pocket in them?

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Lukki Irish.... I didn't leave an opening for a filter pocket. It's possible to do that tho. They are lined. We actually own N95 masks, for construction work. These are more for spittle protection in public places. They're easier to breath in, not as hot and better looking....not so hospital like.

jtc....I used the same pattern for all of them, just a different pose. When standing up, they appear to have a pointed bottom. Optical illusion...?

Save    
Bluebell66

I have made this pattern. Unfortunately my glasses still fog. I like to use strips of t-shirt fabric for ties. Elastic tends to hurt the backs of my ears.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Where would I buy the SM 9210, please?

I also see a cloth mask with carbon filters, PM 2.5 I have seen TV reporters wearing these. Do they filter adequately for my use? I rarely go out, but must go for Darzalex infusion weekly -- four to five hours in the mask.

1 Like Save    
lisa_fla

I have one

I have the style in Nicole's pic. I've only worn it with glasses once and had no issue. I also have Moni's style. I recently wore if briefly with glasses and had minor steaming, I find this one to be the most comfortable for me and stays in place best. I bought both on eBay,

Annie Deighnaugh

I've been making a similar one and I do like how it fits. It has a wire in the nose bridge which helps it fit even better: https://sweetredpoppy.com/how-to-sew-a-fitted-fabric-mask/

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
aok27502

This was easy peasy. I made one for myself out of my bright floral fabric, so DH could try it and see if it works for him. I am making him a few out of solid black. For some reason he doesn't care for my pink and purple floral. 🙄

I did make a couple of modifications. The fabric I have is not as tightly woven as I would like so I made an extra inner layer. So mine have three layers instead of two. Also I added a metal nose piece. DH has an infinite supply of wire. He found some fairly pliable copper wire that won't rust so we used to that.

1 Like Save    
jupidupi

I recently read that an outer layer of silk and an inner layer of cotton works well, something to do with the electrostatic properties of the silk. When my husband saw me dragging out all of my silk scraps, he fell in love with a bright red charmeuse. Seems kind of feminine to me, but we'll see if he likes it when it's done. If not, I have a few nice necktie silks. For that matter, I wonder if anyone is repurposing old neckties? The good ones have all those layers inside, so it seems like they would filter well.

1 Like Save    
sjerin

Moni, what is the woven cotton fabric that’s on the heavier side called? Like your strawberry fabric. I thought I had ordered some but it turned out to be the thinner cotton.

1 Like Save    
jtc

I tried quite a few patterns and modified several. The one I like the best for snug all round fit without gaps is similar to the one Annie posted with a curve at the chin. I add interfacing, a filter pocket, and removable nose wire.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Old neckties! Brilliant!

I appreciate mdln's post, but now cannot find any masks of that type except where there are ridiculous bidding wars. I sent an email to my oncologist, but doubt these things can be found outside of a hospital supply closet...if there.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Here's a link describing why you need a 3rd layer of non-fabric. Moni's been using interfacing....and jtc. This video shows why IT WORKS! 3rd layer demonstration

I'm currently trying Annie's Poppy Seed pattern with a 3rd layer. Will have a finished product in a few minutes.

Under $10, Silk face masks

Save    
nicole___

OK. That was a fail. I like the 3rd layer of interfacing, but the fit of the mask is weird. It sticks out all along the front. It's flatter along the ears, no gathers. The adult size is also smaller, because the seam allowance is bigger. A mix of the two would be a perfect mask. ☺

1 Like Save    
maddielee

The government is issuing masks made of 2 layers of knit fabric. Our county recently went to mandatory masks. They have packs of 5 to pick up around the county. (They really are more comfortable, but I would not use one in a crowded space).

1 Like Save    
nicole___

I watched videos of people making masks out of T-shirt knit fabric. One video she used foil turkey pans. ☺ They also sell little round vents to make breathing easier. I'm going back and adding interfacing to the masks I made last week and calling it good. ☺

Save    
bee0hio

I just used the pattern from the OP & made 4. Thanks Nicole.

The pic shows ear hooks, but the pattern/UTube actually has the elastic around the back of the neck & to the top of the head, which I like.

jtc

Nicole the poppy one didn't fit right for me hence the pattern modifications.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

The masks I made for my husband seem to be getting a lot of "looks/likes" where ever we go. ☺ The camo branches fabric is a hit!

beeOhio....your right! Ties around the head would make the sides lay flat too. ☺ I just think tying and untying would discourage my husband from wearing his.

Glad it worked for you!

Save    
Lars

I use a similar pattern to yours, Nicole, but I changed the straps to go around the head and are adjustable:

Front View

Back view.

In this view, you can see how the elastic is sewn into the edge of the side with a zigzag stitch before being folded over. The ends of the elastic (which forms one continuous loop) are sewn together in the zigzag and then are encased in the opposite side so that they can slide for adjustment. This makes it easier to put on, and it also allows you to wear it loosely around your neck, when it is not needed, such as when driving.

This is the same fabric I used for my brother's cabana jacket. The back of the mask has a pocket for an inner filter. I use pipe cleaners for the nose piece, sewn into the seam allowance at the top.

My brother and I do not like the ear loops, as they are uncomfortable for us, and so I made our masks with loops that go behind the neck and over the head, like the one Mdln showed.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by nicole___
nicole___

Lars...pipe cleaners! That's new. I like that! ☺

1 Like Save    
bee0hio

Nicole, the YouTube video showed a continuous loop of elastic ( like Lars’ pic above). That’s how I constructed mine,,,not with ties. But ties could be an option if one didn’t have the elastic. I agree tho’ ties wouldn’t be as handy to have mask off/on frequently.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

bee....ear loops are the easiest and most comfortable for my husband and I, a pattern modification. I did also modify the pattern by adding a layer of interfacing....a washable filter. I've gone online and looked at the top ten masks for sale. #1 - #5 did not have a filter or a pocket for one. I'd like to think the filter is a key to these things working.Link to Where to buy the best face masks right now to see several offered It worries me there is no filter in most of these. They're simply "cute".

Pattern modifications like adding a filter.....is a good reason to sew your own.

Save    
bee0hio

It will be really good to get some study results (are any even being done?) to find out the efficacy of all the different variations of masks/face coverings. But then again, there are also lots of variables related to how well people wear them, i.e. gaps, nose only partially covered, chin not covered, constancy of wearing, adjustments for slipping, etc.

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

Sjerin said

Moni,
what is the woven cotton fabric that’s on the heavier side called?
Like your strawberry fabric. I thought I had ordered some but it turned
out to be the thinner cotton.

I am sorry I never got back to you, but I never opened this thread again till today.

I used strictly fabric from my stash. No idea, on the label... since some of it has been in my possession over 10 years.

But, I always use at least one layer rather tightly woven, and interfacing in the middle of the mask, over the mouth and nose part.

I was at my regular polling place yesterday. This church has a youth shelter type area... where homeless kids can sleep. I donated the 40 masks I had on hand... and only have my sample pile left at the moment.

Part of my stuff I brought for my hours there were masks for me. I found, I started a headache shortly after lunch time... and I changed in to a new/clean mask. Boy was this a revelation. Breathing was way easier right away.

Wash you masks after wearing for a few hours!

I will also continue doing ear loops, as something across the back of my head always just slides down, and then is to loose, once it more or less hangs across my ears.

I still plan to sew some like Nicoles... I just still have a stack of fabric cut out, in the style I have been sewing. I will let you all know, how it goes.. when I am done with a couple.

I make my masks to last, since we really don't know, how long we will be needing to use them.

Moni

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I want to try a few new ones recently posted on YouTube. This is one of the one I am going to make. It is away from the mouth and nose,but looks like it fits well against the face. It can be made with ear loops or behind the head. Elastic or paracord are options.

https://youtu.be/8LiK0t_0LL0

1 Like Save    
bee0hio

That looks like a good one Raven.

Save    
nicole___

I guess I'm too vain.....the cupped ones away from the face make me look like I have a pig snout under there. ☺☺☺

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

But you can breathe! 🤣

2 Likes Save    
OklaMoni

either way, there is fabric across your face.. breathing should be the same, if it is close by, or further away

1 Like Save    
jupidupi

I wish I could find a good nose piece. My nose is not small, it should hold a mask in place, yet my masks always feel like they are slipping down. I have tried pipe cleaners, folded triple, as well as closures from coffee bags, and they just don't feel like they are staying in place. I just sent away for some aluminum strips from Amazon; hope those work better. They are sold in sets of 100, so I'll have plenty for experimenting.

1 Like Save    
dallasannie

oklamoni, I am thinking that maybe since your name includes Oklahoma in it that maybe you are of that state and, possibly, even belong to one of the nations.

Having acknowledged that fact could very well be true, I have to ask you just what fabric print is suited for native Americans? I was not aware that peopled who are descended from the tribes are any different in their preferences of such than are any other populations. I would be curious as to what you perceive that preference to be.

Of course, some people do gravitate towards a print that speaks for them or about them. I am betting that those who belong to a tribe have much the same preferences as anyone else.

Sports logos have always been popular and likely do appeal to more males than females in much the same manner as you see more males wearing sports figures t-shirts.

You masks look to be well made and I do acknowledge your efforts.

2 Likes Save    
OklaMoni

Dallasannie, you live in Dallas?

I live in Oklahoma since 1972, born and raised in Germany. I am here to stay. :)

So far, I have only bought 4 different prints... two sports, and two what looks to me like Native American suitable.

Most of my prints were more feminine... and thus, to send masks to the Navajo Nation I decided to buy the sports and this fabric:

1 Like Save    
woodrose

dallasannie, I don't believe any tribe or nation would only wear a mask made with any particular fabric. I'm sure they would be grateful for any mask they receive.

Sierra Johnson, who is a Navajo, has a YouTube channel and has set up a Go Fund Me account for donations to help the Navajo Nation. She had so many people asking her how they could help, and she felt this was the best way to help them with food and medical supplies. Sadly, the Navajo Nation is suffering horribly from this virus.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

jupidupi

I use floral wire which is a heavy weight. I get it from dollar tree. It comes in a small clear package and it is in various colors. It is bendable and will hold the shape. It has been working well. But also the mask has to be tight by the way it attaches to your face. If the elastic is too loose, or the ties not tight enough.

2 Likes Save    
Sammy

Thank you so much for this, @nicole___!

1 Like Save    
dallasannie

okla, yes I have lived in Dallas, have roots there, and am related to some that I might pass on the street.

There is a Texas expression that would say that "you have a heart as big as Dallas". And, I am sure that you mean well. But the truth is that that print is just a commercial design cliche print and not really relevant to any particular population.

I have family in Oklahoma and some who carry nations cards. They pretty much like what the most of the rest of America likes as far as that goes. These are not fabric prints that are suitable or unsuitable for someone based on being Native American any more than for anyone else.

I know you mean well, but in this day when we are examining our relations to one another based on ethnic origin and culture, these cliche images come into question.

Still, your masks look very well put together.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Moni....Gorgeous masks! It's very thoughtful of you to expand your fabric collection. Nice!

1 Like Save    
OklaMoni

Dallasannie My name is Moni... I live in Oklahoma, and I really had only feminine fabric. I choose that fabric because the next set of masks was supposed to go to Arizona as well.

To me, buying fabric was the way, to show my compassion to men... and I thought, I might as well expand further.

Sorry it offends you.

Moni

Save     Thanked by nicole___
OklaMoni

Ok, maybe that was a bit strong... but honest, I am on edge... and you got to me. Sorry.

I also realize, I could have deleted the post above... but decided not to slink away.

Moni

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms How to Choose the Perfect Bedsheets
Don't lose any shut-eye over scratchy or ill-fitting sheets; our mini guide to materials, thread count and fit will help you sleep tight
Full Story
Budget Decorating Easy Ways to Hide Your Home's Flaws
Clever concealing and distracting tactics help put your home's best face forward
Full Story
Houseplants Gardens Under Glass: How to Make Your Own Terrarium
Be the master of a mini ecosystem indoors — the low-maintenance, highly rewarding kind that fits any room
Full Story
GreenWorks Landscaping has been creating beautiful landscapes in Northern Virginia and the surrounding areas for... Read More
All American Painting Plus is a full-service, owner-operated professional painting & contracting services company... Read More