SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Need help interpreting the lingo of a router's rating from CR

luis_pr
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Due to issues, I am planning to "move" from an old (2 yrs maybe?) Linksys EA8500 to a new router and was reading Consumer Reports to see how they rated the current crop of models. I got in trouble on the very first one, Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router. I had no idea what they were talking about.

Can someone translate into English what are they talking about in the parts that I highlighted below?

"Synology RT2600ac has Excellent throughput at all ranges. It’s good for even large homes. If you need even more range, you can buy an optional Synology MR2200ac mesh device to add mesh networking and more range. We found the router does not automatically assign a DNS (typically from your service provider) and had no setup guidance to point that out. Be ready with your own DNS or your service providers DNS to set it up."

DNS? what is that???

"Be ready with my own DNS"? Be ready for what? how do I get my own DNS? what are they cryptically talking about???

Be ready with my service providers DNS to set it up??? Are they talking about a modem?

Someone else set up the Linksys for me so I have no point of reference to compare the two.

TIA, Luis

Comments (6)