SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

Growing in sandy soil -- your thoughts, advice?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'd like to hear from those of you who are growing in sandy soil. My very small garden bed is basically -- sand. Over the years I have attempted to amend it and am still at it. Originally I sheet mulched, adding lots of compost, and I dig in compost a few times a year where I can and side dress plants as well. I give the roses some fish hydrolysate a few times a year, to boost the nutrition. And yet -- it seems as sandy as ever! And barely a worm to be seen (just a million earwigs). I'm a renter and it didn't occur to me early on to have the whole mess dug out and replaced, and I can't do that now. But is there something else I should be doing? Why does the soil not improve?!

I've had Buff Beauty in the bed for @6 years, doing great, and GMH for @3 years, doing well (especially now after that pretty hard trim a month ago); most of the perennials are doing OK.

But still -- I am puzzled by the sand problem.

I am planting a few more roses in the bed -- I managed to make room for two or three more. I've just planted my Maggie and my FBPT. I figure that as Maggie seems to grow all over the world, and FBPT also seems to be a survivor, they should be OK. But before I plant another one or two in the last bits of space -- are there some classes or varieties of roses that will likely do better than others in sandy soil? Some possibilities from my "pot ghetto" are Mons. Tillier, Gruss an Coburg, DdB, MIP, Portland from Glendora, Rose de Rescht, Benny Lopez, Lady Hill, Reine des Violettes, Bouquet d'Or. Any that will be fairly OK in containers for a long while (like RdR, I assume) will stay in containers. I know it's a problem planting roses that will want to get huge, as I would have to keep cutting them back . . . . so they might be best staying in the pot ghetto and living their sort of "bonsai" lives there until I finally -- find them new homes. William R. Smith is one that will probably have to be rehomed soon.

Comments (20)