SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joel_bc

Growing trees on sandy soil

joel_bc
16 years ago

I remember seeing some scientific cross-section photos in a book once, showing how roots of plants tend to fan outward in clayish soils and grow more downward (plume-like) in sandy soils. My question is whether the upper growth of a tree may tend to mimic the roots in this respect.

My place is on a bench on the "toe" or a mountain ridge, and the mineral soil here runs mostly from sandy to silty-sandy. It seems to me that my trees have indeed tended to grow upward before doing much spreading out - abnormally so - even though the ones I've planted are in full light with no other trees or large buildings to block the sun. I give them good watering, in a further circle than out to dripline.

So, first of all I'm wondering if the pattern I think I'm seeing is somehow typical of the soil type. Secondly, I'm wondering what I can do to compensate and get my trees and shrubs to grow more full (& stocky). ??

I should mention that I've spread manure over the roots out to dripline when I've had extra - though I need most of it for the extensive veggie gardens here.

Thanks...

Joel

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living