SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

New Favorite for Zucchini -- Pickles!

plllog
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

What's your favorite new way to make a vegetable or fruit? What's your favorite thing to pickle?

In my last farm box, I got more zucchini than I was expecting. Beautiful fresh farm zucchini. At the same time, I wasn't up to cooking something involved, and couldn't think of anything simple that wasn't meant to feed ten people. When I had too many sugar snap peas, I pickled some--and following that recipe I had a couple of small bottles of leftover brine, so I thought maybe pickles. A few months ago, I got some books on pickling and fermenting recommended by Lars, but they only said use zucchini instead of cucumber. What?? They look the same but they're really different! I looked at blogs and didn't find anything different.

I said, what the heck! It's going in the fridge anyway, not canning--I had room for exactly one jar--so I don't need a recipe! I washed up a quart canning jar, and just did my own thing, packed the jar, boiled the brine in my pot with a pour spout and make it quick and easy. I couldn't wait this morning to try them. They're SO good! I had no clue they'd be that good. The pea pickles are good but I can only eat one or two at a time. I could probably have eaten half the jar of zucchini before breakfast if I hadn't coughed and gotten too much pickle juice where it didn't belong. :) These are best drained and ice cold. I don't have a precise recipe, but this is close:

Zingy Zucchini Pickles

Ingredients:

• Fresh, firm zucchini to fit quart jar (about 3-4 medium), half in half-length spears, half from smaller zucchini in coin slices
  • Half a large Anaheim or similar mild chile, in quarter inch strips, cut in half
  • Half red onion, longwise quarter inch strips, outer long part, but not the thin layer, used as fits
  • Pinch of Penzey's pickling spices, maybe a third to half teaspoon

(I think it was a freebie, but it meant I didn't have to think through or look up what to use)

Contains: yellow and brown mustard seeds, allspice, cinnamon, bay leaves, dill seed, cloves, ginger, black peppercorns, star anise, coriander, juniper, mace, cardamom and crushed red pepper.

I know a juniper berry, some mustard seed and a bit of bay went in. The rest was whatever I pinched.

Put spices and a few strips of pepper and onion in bottom of quart jar. Stand zucchini spears and pack with some strips of pepper and onion in between. Top with more strips or coins, and rest of onions and peppers.

Liquid:

• 1 1/3 Cups Water
  • 2/3 Cup White Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar

Boil in a small pot with a spout. Pour into jar to overflowing, screw on lid, cool and refrigerate. Store in fridge.

Comments (20)