SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mia_vanschalkwyk

I need your ideas for landscaping, please!

Mia vS
3 years ago

We just moved into this renovated 1961 Ranch - our first house and first garden! The renovation team removed some trees and all landscaping and installed some shrubs in front of the house. So we have a fresh, blank canvas - a daunting idea for someone who’s always been limited to container gardening!!

The front yard (see photo) gets sun from about 11:00 onwards. The shrubs are all doing great and I know they’re good picks in terms of climate (Boxwood, cape jasmine, japonica, and dwarf holly.) However, I don’t want to be in a situation a few years from now where we end up with large shrubs which don’t do much in terms of curb appeal. Also, we spend early evenings on the porch and enjoy dinner there.

My question:

I think the yard needs some ‘softer’ aspects...maybe less symmetry? I also thought to take out the shrubs in front of the porch and just have lawn there.

PS - we have dogs and my dream is actually to have a low fence to allow them to play freely, but then we’d literally be the only people on the street with a fence.

Comments (4)