SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbrian

Makeup Air For Range Hood

abbrian
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've spent hours reading forums and posts about makeup air and can't figure out a solution to my issue. Long story short: I bought a big range, which specified a big hood, and the makeup air kit was sort of an afterthought in the sale. Well, it's become an issue now because my solutions seem limited and I can't figure out how to get this taken care of.

It's a 10" Broan MUA kit. Broan specifies dumping external air into the return of our HVAC system. We really can't do that because the accessible run that we have has all kinds of obstructions.

My current ideas unless someone can save me with a better solution:

• Right behind our kitchen is a small laundry room on an exterior wall. What if I put a 10" vent in the wall right behind the range? And then up in the ceiling area, I'll install the MUA damper with external access. BUT I WON'T connect the two. Basically, when the hood runs, the damper opens and the air it draws will be pretty accessible from that room.
  • Our basement is finished with sheet rock ceilings. What if i just installed the MUA outside right above the concrete and then a register on the floor under the range. Would the joists and sheetrock provide enough of a channel for the MUA?

Would these approaches work? Would they meet IRC?

Comments (3)