SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tickybox_gw

more questions on range hoods -- hopelessly confused about MUA

tickybox
11 years ago

Hi All,

I have posted here with questions about range hoods before, but I find I am still at sea on some issues -- and the more I read about cfms and make up air, the more worrying I find the subject.

I have read the article over here: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/makeup-air-range-hoods

And also many of the threads on this forum, including the one set in Massachusetts where the builder ran into trouble with the inspectors for having a 1,200 cfm unit with no mua plan.

This has me fairly paralyzed with indecision. Previously, I had thought the best way to go was the most powerful range hood you could buy. Now, I'm veering in the opposite direction, towards weaker range hoods.

But, it occurs to me that I might be asking the wrong questions of myself. I suspect a lot of the posts in this forum are for kitchens with very powerful ovens. The Green Building Advisor page says to stick to 400 cfms or less, and even suggests 150 to 200 for a normal residence (seems very low!)

Our oven is not commercial grade. It's a 30" GE Profile, 5 or 6 burner (depending on how you count it, griddle/grill down the middle), dual fuel convection oven, double oven (gas top, gas convection, small bottom electric second oven). The house is not a big one -- maybe 1400 square feet, but also an unfinished basement, and unfinished attic. It has an oil burning furnace, and an upstairs ceiling fan to take stuff straight up in the bathroom, but no central air, and no plans for central air. Maybe someday, in the future, I will be able to afford a new range, in which case, it would go up a step (GE Monogram, Viking maybe), but still just be a 30 inch range.

I had been looking at various models, Kobe, and the Zephyr Savona, but both of these are 600 cfm and up, and it looks like code now requires measures to be taken for over 400 cfms? Once I took that into account, I started looking at the 30 inch Best K313930SS, which is 400 cfm. And yes, it's only as wide as the oven, not wider -- we have very little room to spare. This part also makes me nervous, but it seems again like I might be judging my requirements against some hard core chefs in here. We like to cook, and we like to experiment, but we're not actually all that good at it yet!

We are not interested in the type of hood that is built into cabinets, as the cabinets have already been ordered, and the plans leave the space for a chimney style hood.

So -- what is sufficient for this setup? What is overkill? What will keep the inspectors happy? Am I over thinking this after reading too much about MUA and how tricky it can be?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH