SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiddleddd

Question about range hoods and CFMs.

fiddleddd
11 years ago

We're down-sizing to a small house with a small kitchen, but it's nice with granite countertops and high end appliances. We have a 30" induction cooktop, and I've been told that I don't need a high CFM range hood because the heat output is so much less with induction than with high BTU gas cooktops. And a smaller hood will look more appropriate size-wise in the small kitchen.

I'm looking at ventilation hoods (chimney wall hoods) in the range of 320-400 CFMs. I basically need to know if it makes a difference what size vent we have....they come in both 6" and 8". Also, some range hoods (like GE) have a charcoal filter in addition to the grease filters that can be removed and washed. They said in the specs that the charcoal filter needs to be replaced once a year, which could be an additional expense we wouldn't have with hoods that don't require the charcoal filter.

Does anyone know if the charcoal filter offers a second layer of filtering.....is it preferable to the ones without the charcoal filter? I wonder if more grease would build up in the vent pipe without the charcoal filter.

Thanks for any input on this. Or if anyone has any suggestions of range hoods they particularly like of the size I'm looking at, I'd greatly appreciate a recommendation. Thanks!

Comments (15)