SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arley_gw

Reusing an antique range hood--cfm question

arley_gw
13 years ago

Several years ago (about 17) I bought a money pit of a house which had seen its glory days about 80 years prior. It was built c.1900 by a wealthy New Yorker who only came south for a few months during the winters; nevertheless, he had it equipped with some snazzy-for-its-era equipment. One of those items was a 72 inch range hood built by Duparquet Huot & Monuese. Doing a cursory internet search, they apparently were suppliers to the restaurant trade of industrial-strength wood and coal burning stoves and related equipment. The stove original to the house is long since gone, and I've been cooking on a 30" Kenmore gas stove (in lovely harvest gold!!!).

The hood itself is in good shape. I don't know the CFM rating of the fan, nor do I know how to measure it. (the fan is very hard to get to, in the attic; don't really want to crawl up there in July.)

I'm about to embark on a major kitchen redo which will involve replacing the stove with (probably) a 48 inch Capital all gas range. I'll probably wait for the Culinarian models to make their appearance. My question is simple: what CFM capacity do I need? The Capital folks have a matching range hood rated at 1200 CFM, so I would assume that an upgrade to a 1200 CFM blower would be sufficient.

A related question: there is no filter on the hood, as far as I can see. (At least I haven't cleaned one in 17 years:) I don't do much frying, and no deep frying at all, so when I clean the kitchen I really don't see much grease on the surfaces at all. So most of the ventilation function will be of hot air and steam/vapors rather than greasy stuff. Is a filtration system necessary for the hood, and if so, how much of a PITA is it to retrofit? The exhaust leading out of the hood, through the attic and out of the house, is about a foot or so in diameter.

Any guidance, advice, and commiseration is welcome. I'll be cross posting this on the Kitchen forum as well.

Comments (5)