SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

If you would, please pick a question to answer! ;)

theresse
13 years ago

Can anyone make my pictures show up here? I can't figure it out!

I ask you to pick "ONE" question only just so you don't feel too much pressure since there are SO MANY QUESTIONS!! Oh crap...I just know I'm going to scare you guys away w/ how much I write!

You can ignore the long questions and just answer the short questions (posed at the beginning of each one) if it's less of a hassle!

HERE ARE THE PICS:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/06/looking_from_mudroom.html?cat=kitchens

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/06/island_top_will_be_replaced_w.html?cat=kitchens

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/06/need_help_choosing_type_of_lig.html?cat=kitchens

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/06/now_w_stove_by_door_the_kitche.html?cat=kitchens

The demo'd area will be the new, stainless countertop w/ white Shaws (yawn!) farm sink, Jaclo wall-mounted gooseneck faucet, and probably honed white marble 2x6 subway tile backsplash. To avoid too much stainless, the island's top will become edge-grain butcher block (medium darkness) and the new dishwasher will be integrated to match the new lower cupboard doors, whatever they end up being.

OKAY HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS!:

- Re. the lower cabinet doors under the countertop. Short question: what would you do? Long question:

I'll have new lower doors put on (the flush kind). The upper ones are original 1913 and will stay. What type of doors would compliment the upper ones? I can't afford to have identical doors made (and it might be overkill?). Should I do something contrasty, like wainscoting doors or just plain flat doors? Just one panel w/ trim around it (e.g. shaker)? Should the lower cabinets be a darker/different color? Go ahead and just tell me what to do, k? :) Also, what hardware on the lower doors? Something contrasty from the above black knobs (e.g. crystal?) Should any bin pulls be antique brass or silver or black? Crystal?!

- Re. lighting. Short questions: what would you do? Long question:

Above the island is the pot rack and a light. I'll probably remove those both. I want to get a light for there and also for above the sink. Would the light above the sink look better as one pendant or the double-shower kind? Would the center ceiling light be better the shorter kind (not pendant) or another similar or complimentary pendant? I like the idea of staying somewhat period 1913. The rest of the house has 90% original lighting which happens to be colonial revival style even though the rest of the interior is pretty craftsman (the exterior of the house is colonial revival w/ craftsman details). What light fixture FINISH would work in a room that has these other details (light cupboards, wood floors, black hardware (also original) but stainless counter, faucet (polished stainless - not chrome - so warmer than chrome and cooler than nickel) and stainless fridge? The lighting in the rest of the house is mostly aged/antique brass or has sadly been painted over in a few rooms. Though silver or nickel plated on the dining room chandelier which is also original. What color light switch and outlet plates? Should they match the finish of the lighting? Should they just be boring white to match the white marble tile backsplash?

- Re. shape of the counter bump-out on either side of the sink (including width of a dishwasher on either side beyond the width of the sink). Short q: how would you shape it just for efficiency sake/looks but also if you're trying to make such a long bump-out look deliberate? Long q:

The counter used to be about 22" deep except for where the old sink was in the center. There, it was bumped out to about 24" deep and then went back in to 22" on either side, with an angle. With a new (and our first!) dishwasher going in to the left of the sink (which will be centered under those two windows you're about to see), we'll bump that out too so for symmetry's sake we'll do that to the right of the sink too. Q: angle again, or square? To define the space (make it look more on purpose) should we put a couple of pillar type thingies on each side? There are lots of pillars in and on the house but they're all square (craftsman) so the round kind wouldn't go. But I like the idea of something there (?). Or maybe it will take up too much space?

- Re: original shelf w/ no door, above stove (it's been cut shorter over time to fit things below). Short q: how to attractively incorporate above-range microwave into that shelf - but also leave room for future hood if nicer stove in the future? Long question:

Note the cut-off cupboard above the stove. It used to go down to the same height from the floor as the others but the previous owners cut it to fit their fridge there (and then we cut it a couple of inches further to fit OUR fridge there when we moved in). I saved the door, even though they'd cut part of the bottom off (looks good though). What should I do with that space? We can't afford a nice new stove w/ cool hood (we don't even have gas) YET. So for now, I was thinking an above-range microwave could be hung at the bottom of that shelf? Any advice regarding details? E.g. keep the cupboard open? Paint the inside of the cupboard something different? Put the door back on after microwave's up which would mean cutting the door more? Save the door in case we do a cool hood someday (can a door even be used w/ a hood)? Any advice is appreciated.

- Window covering suggestions? Short question: what would you do there? What about for privacy when the room also really needs light since it's North-facing? Long(er) question:

I really want to do some sort of etched glass or else the fake stick-on kind just cause both the lower and upper windows look straight into our very-close neighbor's windows and they look in a lot and are kinda creepy types. Any suggestions one way or the other?

- Last one! Re. wood floor color (stain) suggestion. Short question: same old fir tone or refinished much darker? Longer question:

Same color wood floors I have now (but fixed up w/ some sort of puddy/sawdust combo in the gouges) or very very dark? My floor guy says old fir floors are oily which makes stain go on splotchily unless you go so dark that it hides the splotches along with the imperfections in the wood. Which way would look good in this room? Red-medium or dark dark super dark?

(wall paint suggestions are welcome too - hee hee!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH, WHOEVER DARES READS THIS!!! :)

Comments (12)