SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lulu2022

Healthy cooking

Louiseab
3 years ago

The rhubarb pie thread got me thinking. As I said in my reply, my Mom used to be a great cook. She had incredible patience and would turn out the most complicated and non traditional dishes. Quite something in the sixties when I was growing up as we lived on a small farm in Northern B.C. where groceries were not at all what you might call exotic (fancy.). But then a while ago she decided to cook more healthy. Now her food is not very interesting. She switched from butter to spreadable margerine which she deems to be more healthy. I’ve read that’s not the case, not that I’d care anyway, I hate margarine. She cuts every bit of fat off of her meats and tends to overcook them (especially poultry) for fear of food poisoning. She uses reduced fat products whenever she can. Now, that said I do use some reduced fat cheese when I don’t think it will compromise the dish. My Mom is a wonderful, intelligent woman, but when we visit her my husband and I tend to do most, if not all of the cooking and she loves it. I guess my thought is that at the age of 84, why not eat butter if you like it instead of the ghastly margarine?

Comments (23)