SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

Cookbooks with 'healthy' recipes?

ruthanna_gw
13 years ago

What constitutes "healthy cooking" varies for each of us. For our family, it would be primarily dishes that are low in saturated fat and calories but appetite-satisfying.

IÂm curious about what are your favorite go-to cookbooks for your personal tastes and definition of "healthy cooking".

My top two are Mollie KatzenÂs Vegetable Heaven and The Eating Well Rush Hour Cookbook. IÂve made many recipes from both of them multiple times and posted some of them here in the Cooking Forum too.

Vegetable Heaven is a vegetarian (but not vegan) cookbook with some of the best bean and grain recipes IÂve ever tasted. The Introduction of the book recounting how her cooking had evolved since The Moosewood Cookbook really changed my definition of what constituted a meal. IMO, the weakest part of the book is the dessert chapter and after trying a couple, I didnÂt make any others.

The Rush Hour Cookbook (subtitled Healthy Meals for Busy Cooks) has the recipes for complete dinner menus and nutritional information on each recipe. The meals use few processed foods and are separated by season to take advantage of fresh produce generally available at that time of year. Just about every recipe IÂve made fits our tastes and includes ingredients we like.

What are your favorites?

Comments (9)