SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720591758

A house built on the canadian rock shield

HU-720591758
3 years ago

I was hoping to ask for some expert advise
I am purchasing a property on the rock shield. It's on a clean lake and something that has been a dream. It is a 1400 sq ft house with year round access. Bùilt in 1965 with an addition. Was originally a cottage but over the years progressed to a house. The original property/ cottage has been raised and added onto. Side split . However the rock shield is in the basement. They enclosed the area and its mostly a crawl space but on the one side of the front of the house there is a room of the usable space. They use it as a laundry room but I believe moisture is an issue. I did have a home inspection and they suggested that the bottom of the upper living areas and wallls in the crawlspace be spray foamed and the ground(rock sheild) area be covered with thick plastic.
I'm not sure if we should just avoid this purchase completely or try and fix it.. ? The limited usable space in the so called basement is approx 5 x 12 facing the lake. The other half of the house facing the lake is crawlspace. The entire back portion of the house has the rock shield.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Comments (2)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County