What's for dinner #381

bragu_DSM 5

Well #380 lasted less than a month ...

And we're still kicking, uhh ... cooking...

SaveComment94Like
Comments (94)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Leftovers!

I made taco meat Monday and seasoned pinto beans yesterday, and will make a fresh salad today. I always eat that as a taco salad, rather than using tortilla shells or wraps.

It's nice not to have to make a new dinner every day😄

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

doing a sheet pan balsamic steak/chicken veg dinner tonight ... haven't decided whether to add cauliflower or broccoli or both to the potatoes and onions/carrots ... been hungry for this all week ... especially for leftovers ...

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Spring herbs.

Nights are still chilly. 55-65º. Lots of hot sun this week mid-day. Lots of mint and tender garlic scapes. Amazing how fast the celery knobs grew I soaked early April. (I did cut in half and soak with the radicchio so the bug was washed off)

Never have found many mint recipes we like but spa water with ginger and fruit. And spring rolls.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

I'm baaaack : ) Got the new 'puter, loving it! Heck, I even ran out of cell phone data... I was going into withdrawals! I completely missed the 'closing' of the last WFD thread, but gosh, what lovely meals and cooking! So happy to see new 'faces' coming back, and so happy to see, uh, not gonna say 'old faces'... people who hadn't posted here in a while returning (talkin' 'bout you plllog!). I love the diversity of the meals and cooking, and yes, I love reading about the meals too, even without photos. Inspiration abounds!

Carol, you took the words right out of my mouth! Next week I'm planning a taco salad, just as you described (yes, I meal plan). Been meaning to make one, but keep forgetting. And DH keeps eating the tostito chips I put on the lettuce. Sleevendog, I had a good laugh at your bug! I took a pic eons ago of basil from our garden, and much later noted all the aphids on it. I hesitate to add we ate them... Mint in our popsicles, teas, salads... Any excuse for me. Scapes! Enjoying them here too!

Snack board one afternoon...

Yup, bacon-wrapped garlic scapes. I've since been wrapping 2-3 scapes with bacon to balance the flavor.

I'd made Annie's no knead bread, because it seemed I was the only one who hadn't... and we had bacon, lettuce, tomato, and chicken sammies (jasdip's influence!)

We have lettuce coming out our ears here. It's pretty fantastic : ) Made what DH calls "The Big Salad" which can include anything, but is always huge. From our garden: Texas Sweet onions, oregano, chives, lavender, lettuce, red arugula, endive, sugar snap peas (raw). Leftover smoked chicken, bacon, and 6-1/2 minute eggs. The black stuff is roasted beets : ) I swear there's lettuce under all that.

Fried catfish, jasdip's crashed potatoes (a regular visitor around here)

This was a random salad, but took the pic because it has 'strawberry lettuce' in it, and I made a strawberry dressing from our strawberries. I thought it somehow apropos : )

We have oodles of sugar snap peas. I eat some while picking, we eat them after washing, still raw, sauteed, par-boiled, and we never grow tired of them. So sweet and crisp.

I decided to saute them with some of our Texas Sweets, because those are also sweet, for an onion. That was good...

Speaking of the Texas Sweets (I planted 72, for the two of us, what was I thinking?), I steam baked some with white wine, chicken stock, and fresh thyme:

Served with Black Legend ham, creme fraiche and horseradish, and the ever-present crashed potato:

I'm out of room! Garden web says no more... well... I'll show them ; )

4 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

I'm baaaack... again. Onward:

And last but not least, fried chicken. Yep, made a huge mess this time. But at leas the newspaper got most of it.

Sugar snap peas, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy (my favorite gravy, I think I was meant to live in the South just for that reason), salad. We'll be eating fried chicken for some time.

I was going to post some veggie pic's, but I've loaded enough and you all will surely boot me out if I add more : ) Annie, my collards are almost ready!!!!! Sleevendog, I'm still 'farming'...ok, growing, microgreens on a regular basis. We always want them somewhere in our meal. Can you believe, though, that I forgot them on The Big Salad? I had to laugh at that!

1 Like Save    
plllog

Sleevendog, a lot of Middle Eastern recipes call for mint. Check out Persian and Lebanese, especially. In some ways, it's used like many of us would use lemon--as a brightener and fresh element. A chiffonade of mint can really bring up a stew.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

2MD, delighted to hear about your new 'puter. Yay!! And can I say I am so jealous of those peas I can hardly see straight. I planted an 8' long planter full of them and they were just starting to produce when we had a feral cat & her kittens show up at our doorstep. They decided that the pea planter made an excellent bed and within 2 days destroyed all the plants. Haven't pulled them up yet because I'm not sure what to plant now, although we did get some fencing up so they can't get to it again. Too late for peas until way up in the fall now :-(

Save    
Jasdip

Wow, 2MD you're BACK with a vengeance. Look at all the food you've been making and eating!!! I'm so envious of your fried chicken!!! That looks scrumptious! All of your other food too, but heck it's too healthy for my taste buds! J/K.

Curious, did you go for an induction stove, or a gas stove? When you said the newspapers got the most of it, I wondered if you put newspaper around the skillet.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Everything looks delicious! Those crashed potatoes have caught my eye. How do you make them?

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Edie, that'd be funny if it weren't for the fact you lost all your sugar snaps. This is my first time growing them. Amazed how much sweeter they are than store bought.

Jasdip, high praise from the cast iron queen herself, thank you kindly! I brined overnight and I honestly can't say if it makes a difference still. Always juicy no matter what. I have always loved gas, and always will, but opted for an induction, and love it. More than gas, even. So as you already know, I just spread the newspapers under the pan, directly on the burner. I believe it was you who reminded me to do that some time ago. Felt foolish for having forgotten I could!

Lizbeth, not sure how Jas does hers, I Googled...I toss skin on Yukon golds into pot of boiling water, simmer until fork tender and done, move them to a foil lined sheet pan with spray or veg oil (so no sticking), smash each a bit with a potato masher until they pop open... Then using a fork I pull up some skin and potato, so it'll crisp more, pop all that into a 350 F oven (sometimes dotting with butter first) and bake 20-25 minutes, until crisp on top. They taste like twice baked, without the extras, and oh so good! You can leave them for a while after boiling, to manage time, if needed.

Save    
wintercat_gw

So glad to see you back, 2many. My fried chicken never looks so good. Would you care to share your recipe?

Save    
Jasdip

Yes, cook small whole potatoes till almost cooked through. You want them to keep their shape. Flatten with a potato masher or even a glass. Oil a baking sheet, and oil the tops of the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bake in a hot oven, 400° till nice and crisp. Warning.....they're addictive! Aren't they, 2MD??

I also use my cast iron skillet when the oven isn't on. They crisp up nicely in that as well, turning once.

Save    
Lynda R (USDA 9b, Sunset 23)

@2MD You have been busy!

I posted on the old thread, so I am reposting on the correct one.

Tonight we had shrimp scampi over couscous with shallots and red bell pepper. This is my husband's signature dish. My contribution was the couscous. Fortunately, we both like to cook.

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, 2MD and Jasdip!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I'm jealous of 2MD too! I love fried catfish, and fresh sugar snaps rarely make it into my house, most of the time, but I didn't grow any this year because I waited too long and it got too hot too early ☹️ They do tend to lose their sweetness in storage, and are best eaten right away.

Lettuce & other fresh greens are all gone now too, as well as tomatoes and I miss them. FL growing season is backwards to everywhere else.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

winter cat, I'd be happy to share my fried chicken recipe with you... but please don't get angry with me, I just winged it pretty much.... Here goes:

1 chicken or chicken pieces with skin (if I break down a whole chicken, I always cut each breast in 2 pieces so they cook evenly with the drumsticks)

In a large baggie, pour water/milk/buttermilk (2 cups?) and kosher salt (maybe 2 -3 Tbs). Add chicken, close, and refrigerate overnight.

NOTES: I've tried all 3 liquids, and it all seems to be the same, though buttermilk is most often cited as a brine (which I rarely use). When I think of it, I'll flip the bag over. That's it.

I put 2 aluminum pie plates out, with a small bowl of 3 egg yolks and ½ cup to ¾ cup water, beaten, in between. Into the pie plates, divided evenly, but not perfectly even I mix:

1 cup AP flour

1 cup self-rising flower

about 1 Tbs. garlic powder

about 1 Tbs. kosher salt

about 1 Tbs. pepper

about 1 Tbs. paprika

about 1 Tbs. poultry herbs

I rinse the chicken well and while still wet dredge it in the first pan getting both sides, then dunk it into the egg mixture, rolling it over gently. Then into the 2nd pan, rolling and coating, then onto a plate or rack to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. This allows the coating time to stick better and absorb into the skin a bit.

Heat a heavy skillet with peanut or canola oil to medium high.

NOTES: I put about ¼-1/2” of oil in. To test your oil, put a wooden chopstick or spoon into the oil, if the oil bubbles around the wood, it’s ready.

Carefully place chicken in so oil doesn’t spatter. Allow to brown (do not turn until browned on first side). Turn, and lower heat to medium low, cook for 20-25 minutes, or until done. Transfer to paper towels.

2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

You all will have to forgive me. Houzz/GW is messing around again. Half the time some of the posts don't show up, which is so aggravating. Half the time the posts are out of order, so if I ignore anyone, I'm not ignoring you on purpose!

Annie, I do not want you to eat too many of those 'leaves'. They are chock-full of carbs, sugars, and saturated fats. They also have lead, and toxins. There... (as anyone knows, Annie doesn't care for lettuce and salads; she's grown it this year, and is eating it begrudgingly, and I'm trying reverse psychology on her. I doubt it's working, Annie's far too smart for that) {Huge grin at ya, Annie!}

Ah Carol, finally, another fried catfish lover! : ) Now, do you really think I'm going to feel sorry for you when my FL friends have all that wonderful citrus, right from their yards? Oranges for days... I can only dream : ) Seriously though, I didn't realize the FL growing season was so opposite. I wish I could share mine with you, and Edie : )

Lynda (oh I'm so happy you are stickin' around!!!), I've stared at your shrimp a bit too long : ) DH is not a shrimp lover, and I have to put all kinds of things on it to 'trick' him. I do love couscous also. Well... yum! I'm thinking I need to see if our store has shrimp and try to get DH to eat the grilled shrimp. He did last year...

Said I wouldn't but can't help myself, LOL...

I grew what is called Rocky Top lettuce mix - it's fantastic. We started ours before the first frost and used frost cloth. Now I have shade cloth over it so it won't turn bitter and die off. It's amazing how well that stuff works! it's way too hot here for lettuce, but we still have lots. And yes, I see those grasses. Pretend they aren't there.

No matter how much I pick, it just gets bigger. This was a week ago, it's larger now, and I've removed from it daily. Also planted red arugula...

and some buttercrunch mini heads:

First lettuce I've ever grown, so forgive my excitement : )

You all have seen the sugar snap peas on our plates, so I'll spare you that... here's one of our blueberry bushes - not quite ready yet, but soon:

The chipmunks and I are battling it out over the strawberries.

This pic below was meant to go above. Burger on the grill... Alton brown's beans. I'd really like to make Sleevendog's brioche buns (I also make Ann T's kaiser's which we love) but my freezer is too full to add anything. The store bought bun was bought with the flour shortage, and I don't waste food...

Last night we had another The Big Salad. Leftover fried chicken, etc. Tonight it's poofed pork chops for dinner, and if I can gather the energy and time I'll do something with the last of our garlic scapes. I'm pickling more mustard seed as I type (used the last, last night).

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Wow, Lynda!!

2Many I don't even know what to say with all of your harvesting and cooking. You blow me away beyond words.

1 Like Save    
wintercat_gw

2many, thank you so much for such a detailed and clear recipe!

1 Like Save    
shirl36

Whoa....I think I have missed something....

i too use cast iron and induction burner a lot and love it but, whats this “spread newspaper under the pan, directly on the burner”

2many said to Jaspid

“Jasdip, high praise from the cast iron queen herself, thank you kindly! I brined overnight and I honestly can't say if it makes a difference still. Always juicy no matter what. I have always loved gas, and always will, but opted for an induction, and love it. More than gas, even. So as you already know, I just spread the newspapers under the pan, directly on the burner. I believe it was you who reminded me to do that some time ago. Felt foolish for having forgotten I could!”

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Hi Shirl36! Because induction only heats via magnets (I'm simplifying it), you can place a layer or 2 of newspaper over your entire cook top, or just a burner, and place pans and skillets on top of the newspaper. Some use high heat silicone, but I am not sure some of it won't melt. The newspaper, even at high heat, will at most, turn light brown, but after cooking fried chicken on it, it's all good. Easy clean up, and it keeps cast iron bottoms from potentially scratching the glass. Give it a try next time you boil water, and then remember it for oily cooking. Great if you've got things that splatter, like bacon. So there ya go!

Save    
Jasdip

Shirl, when cooking something that spatters, surround the skillet with paper towel or newspapers. The grease won't get all over the induction cooktop nor will the material catch fire.

I was selling a portable induction unit, and took a pic of the pot of boiling water with a paper towel under half of the pot to show the safety of having an induction.

2Many, my cast iron caused my previous portable unit to overheat. I always had to use a silicone mat under the skillet.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Good to know Jasdip, thank you! I have both low heat and higher heat silicone, but the newspaper is so easy to wad up and toss 😁!

1 Like Save    
shirl36

Thanks Jasdip n 2Many.

i have a glass top range, never used my cast iron on it, only on induction unit.

However it has been discussed here and elsewhere about using CI on glass cooktop, some say safe, others say no way. I have often been tempted to try, but I don’t want to scratch the glass top.

Somewhere I read, or think I read, using a silicone mat under CI on top of glass top range burner, now can’t not find again to reread. Wanted Mainly when I use my 12” CI skillet, Have been looking for a good Cast Iron forum on the net or Facebook groups to join. In our garage loft I have 3 or 4 pieces of my Mother’s CI, she started housekeeping in 1920, yep a hundred years ago. Mine are modern day CI.

Save    
Jasdip

Oh no, don't use a silicone mat on a glass top stove. Only on induction. You'd melt it all over the stove!! I needed that barrier to tame the heat of the skillet, my unit would overheat. The portable unit I have now has many more settings, and I can set it on a much lower heat/wattage.

CI is perfectly safe to use on glass top stoves. The caution is dropping or dragging it, which will scratch the stove top. Cooking is perfectly fine.

I wash mine in the sink using soap, cook tomato based dishes, etc, all things you're not 'supposed' to do with cast iron.

I belong to a CI group on Facebook. Over 350,000 members.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

shirl, so glad Jasdip posted - Houzz wouldn't let me post last night! As Jas said, no, don't use anything on a radiant heat glass cook top - the newspaper and high heat silicone should only be used on glass top induction burners : )

Save    

Time is flying. I suppose this is what retirement is like. Thankfully the days are long...daylight. Meals on the kitchen deck with cool pre-sunset temps. 16 days have passed since the dental medical emergency. Stress above the roof when they called for my 'follow-up' appointment today...I said "no way". DH just turned 65 Thursday. Healthy but I don't want to take any chances.

Bummer our governor gave his last daily address today. That did set my day. Up early, garden, prep/discuss meal ideas. Garden. On-line course on meteorology. Mandolin and accordion lessons, 😂, drives the dogs nuts. More gardening, kitchen cleaning and prep. Laundry, "stop wearing clothes!"....why so much laundry?...

LuvGov at 11.30. Dog walking again. Snack lunch. Dinner prep ahead. Laugh a lot, stress is minimal but present. Did not realize GovCuomo was watched globally.

Last night, easy meal. Prepped early afternoon. Funny/odd, early March I thought this would be many covid meals. Odd just a few times. Nice to have the ingredients. Early panic shopping I stocked up. (long shelf life for most of it)

So many pics from the last few days...but I have laundry to fold, 🙄

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, someone mentioned on the Kitchen Table that she'll really miss the daily updates from Cuomo.

I love your itinerary!!! Happy Belated birthday to your DH, too!!

This, my friends is the last of the caponata. I added some marinara sauce and it's now topping my bow-tie pasta. Delicious!

3 Likes Save    
neely

Hi 2 many, lovely to see all your posts. Great to see all posts for that matter. Love that you garden a lot Sleevendog, I also go out to do something in the garden a few times during the day. Yum to your bow tie pasta above Jasdip.

Dinner was my fav Veal Saltimbocca with over ‘caramelised’ sauté potatoes. I used powdered sage and speck in the sauce, plenty of butter not much cream....

Also, as promised from previous thread, the cheesecake cake tasted pretty good. The first evening while still slightly warm it was quite light and creamy. Next day back to a more dense normal consistency.

I’ve frozen the 2nd half as we were all cheesecaked out. Sad that we don’t have visitors anymore.

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Oh boy, Elery would love that cheesecake!!!

Everyone's meals looks so good, I'll never catch up. Mother is here, my brother has a kidney stone and will need some treatment or another, so I've been busy. I have to drive Bud to the neurologist on Monday, take Ashley to pain clinic on Thursday, we have chickens to slaughter on Wednesday and the wife of the elderly pastor who married Elery and I lost his wife a few days ago, so the funeral is tomorrow. I'm sure glad I'm retired!

2many, I'm sorry to report that we are eating a lot of leaves. My lettuce didn't do very well, it got way too hot, too quickly. The spinach never even came up, so I'm cutting mizuna, baby bok choi and some tiny kale. I have had leaves with sauteed shrimp and green goddess dressing:

Leaves with black beans and taco meat:

Leaves with other leaves, leaves with other vegetables and leaves on our hamburgers:

I cut the garlic scapes, but haven't had time to do anything with them other than saute some with some onions to go with Elery's venison steak. And sauteed leaves, of course.

Other than garlic scapes, asparagus and leaves, the only other harvest is the peonies at the farm, and they are lovely:

Elery is putting a piece of beef brisket and a pork butt in the smoker tomorrow and Makayla is coming over for help making a banana cream pie for Father's Day. Clarine's funeral is Sunday, but since it's Father's Day I can't get anyone to stay with Mother, so I will go to the visitation for a short while, come home so Elery can go, and I'll go out of my way to spend time with Pastor Brummel for the next few weeks. It always seems like a lot of people are there for the funeral and the day or two after, but then they all go back to their lives. I'll be sure to be there when everyone else is gone and maybe that'll be more helpful than sitting at the funeral anyway. Foster and Clare were married for 73 years, he's 90 and she was 93, so he's going to be really lonesome without her.

Annie

2 Likes Save    

@2MD Thanks! I am learning a lot from all of you and that is definitely worth sticking around for!! Your lettuce looks amazing. Sadly, I pulled mine earlier this week. I planted seedlings the first week of March and they were beautiful but have run their course.

@Carolb I know what you mean. Here on the CA central coast we grow year round and have two seasons - 'summer' and 'not summer'. I've learned that our 'not summer' is the equivalent of spring everywhere else. For vegetables, 'not summer' is our primary growing time, so everything is a bit backwards.

DH went to costco today and came home with lamb and whole chickens. Tonight is rosemary roast lamb with carrots and our yukon gold potatoes. I am also making a rustic apple tart with the first of our apples and the nectarine jam I made last week.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

*note to self*

Alexa, 'set the time-to-wear-clothes-again timer' ...

Save    
plllog

Annie, that's very thoughtful of you! And quite true--the visits after the hubbub dies down are especially needed.

Those peonies are grand! I have a bazillion roses and some antheria (antheriums?) but no peonies. I love peonies.

Re induction paper, I save the blank newsprint from packing material in cartons.

Today was grazing produce all day. No feel for making a proper dinner, so it was eggs. Well, it was actually grilled apricot bread pudding. I thought I was going to have to sacrifice the end of my bread, but by the time I cut up all the dried out heels in my bread basket I had enough for a full six egg batch. Some of the bread was very sour and I didn't put any sugar in the custard, but the hard sauce fixed that. :) It was all the mixed ends, early apricots broiled on a grill plate with a little drizzle of extra light olive oil and a a larger drizzle of fig balsamic, a goodly splash of bourbon, a little cardamom, handful of raisins and handful of pecans. I was going to make an apricot bourbon hard sauce with the drippings of the apricots then remembered there was a bottle of some kind of boozy sugary something in the fridge which a friend had given me half a year ago. It was too boozy then, but the whiskey had settled to the bottom and I used the wrong end of a spoon to scrape out the sugar goop. Added the apricot leavings and zapped briefly. It's a bit maple-y, but on the bread pudding it just tastes sweet.

3 Likes Save    

@bragu, 😂

Yes Annie, me also. I have so many photos from last week but if I don't post often I loose interest in past meals. Today is prep for a trip to the mountains Monday. Soak for bean/grain/pasta salads. First tuna salad of covid. Most of the prep tomorrow. All sides are easier prepped at home. I should have lots of sugar snaps and salads being cooler temps at altitude. Leaves, lol. I've been testing lots of crispier head type lettuce the past few years and those that don't mind the heat.

2MD. I do like the BakerCreek blends. I have all three. I do have some tricks to extend the season but will need to pull up some pics rather than try to spell it out in words. Nice looking 'leaves'.

Sooz, gorgeous card you sent. Thank you!

I've been down to just one egg all week so it was time to place my Baldor order. I like that I can keep an open cart for a few weeks and add to it when I think of something. They send the next day after checkout by 10pm. Free delivery. A sample of yesterdays delivery. 4th delivery since early March. If I just pick one big protein and a couple cheese choices, I can easily hit the $200 required. Every three four weeks I have some empty freezer space. (they have t-p, lol)

Love having fresh tomatoes every few weeks.

4 nice artichokes, purple spring onions, gorgeous eggs...perhaps a BLT tonight.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Looking thru my recipes and I found one that Doucanoe (Linda) had posted years ago. Pork tenderloin slices browned and simmered in an apple cider, maple syrup and cider vinegar sauce.

I blanched some green beans and tossed with garlic lemon zest and lemon juice, and my new favourite......frozen french fries!!!

1 Like Save    

dumplings always good. Miso broth.

1 Like Save    

We went whale watching in the Santa Barbara channel today for Father's Day and then made sushi for dinner. After a full day on the water (with just a few snacks) we were all famished. It was our usual Ahi and Salmon rolls. None of us like avocado, so we make our rolls with seasoned rice, fish, cucumber and toasted sesame seeds and a splash of sesame oil.

1 Like Save    

1 Like Save    
neely

Wow Lynda, you have sushi making down to a fine art... all looks delicious.

Dumplings are so yummy aren’t they Sleeve. Very nice looking dinner there Jasdip frozen French fries make so much sense to me. Plllog interesting looking dessert/meal. Sometimes after a substantial lunch, something like this is all DH and I want for our evening meal... maybe a slice of apple pie etc. Annie you are a gem ...love all the leaves and greens healthy and tasty I say.

Made this chicken chilli and maple syrup meal. So easy... just quarter cup of water, half cup maple syrup and half teaspoon of chilli flakes in a pan. Bring to the boil then poach sliced half through the middle chicken fillets, for a few minutes till done. No pre frying, no onions etc just poach in the liquid. Oh Yes of course salt and pepper. Served with orzo.

Next day left over chilli chicken with leaves became our salad lunch

2 Likes Save    
wintercat_gw

Yolk-only shakshouka. It was way better than what I usually fix. I hadn't realized to what an extent egg whites spoil this dish for me. I had to use up 6 yolks after baking a nut cake that called for 6 egg whites. Instead of using the yolks to make the filling for the cake, I made the shakshouka.

No photo of the cake. It was as tasty as it was ugly, and boy was it ugly! For some reason I put the batter into a pan that was twice as large, and ended up eating stripes of cake. I think I'll start baking nut cakes just to have yolks for shakshouka, or the other way around. It's great either way.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, you've got tons of patience to roll all that sushi. You also have it down to a fine art, they're perfection on a plate.

Neely, I love that chicken dish!!! And of course, the orzo :-D

Plllog I haven't had bread pudding in decades. Yours looks decadent, for sure.

Sleeve, do you make the dumplings yourself? I'm assuming so, knowing you. You're the queen of freshness!

Wintercat, that's a soup? Hot or cold? I've made things in the wrong container, when they say pour into a baking pan and don't specify the size. You know you could have posted the pic here, we all love ya!

Save    
wintercat_gw

Jasdip, it's tomato sauce, hot in both senses of the word. Believe me, a pic of that cake would have put your love to some test :) Plus I never took a pic so as not to risk blackmail.

Save    

BLTA's.

fresh sourdough

3 Likes Save    

Under unfortunate circumstances this year in is comforting to have access to some early produce via my two deliveries...Baldor and Misfits. I usually wait for my garden produce and local corn. Once a month local meat share.

My garden has herbs and a few snap peas. My tomatoes are the size of peas.

First succotash of the season we had with the BLT's.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I stopped listening to Cuomo well over a week ago… our Governor is the opposite in handling Covid, and I’ve been miserable that we didn’t have a responsible person leading our State during this pandemic. Everything is ‘wide open’, masks are an option, and most don’t wear them. We’ve tourist coming in droves as well. Our rate of infection and deaths has increase dramatically. In fact, not long ago the New York Times compiled data from around the country, and my county is 4th, nationally, for the highest average daily growth rate of cases. My personal stress level is high, and the commentary from our Governor and local Mayors is utterly ignorant and frightening. I love where I live, and the people for the most part, but I’m stymied at the way many people here are taking this so casually, to the point of disbelieving science and data. Anyway…

Jasdip, your caponata and bow tie pasta looks mouthwateringly good – don’t you love it when you use a leftover, and it’s new and fresh again?! Your pork sauce and resulting loin looks and sounds really good, and clearly you are on a french fry binge while I’m on a crashed potato binge! Neely, thank you, so good to be back! I’ve always enjoyed seeing your meals, and every meal you show is something we’d both enjoy, but I have to say your Veal Saltimbocca has to be my all-time favorite – in both plating and “yum” factor : ) I love the yellow flower, and your veal looks to die for. You’ve given me inspiration again! I don’t think your potatoes are over caramelized… Now, my bacon last Saturday morning.. that was over caramelized! Your cheesecake is a wonder… I enjoy creaminess in a cheesecake. Love the height, too. I’ve noted the maple syrup chicken, it does look quite good! We love a maple syrup glazed pork chop. I’m seeing some pea microgreens in that lovely salad : ) Annie… what can I say? I’m so proud.. I mean, ashamed of you (LOL). Eating all those leaves : ) My gosh you’ve been busy – with everything, and I must say, these recent meals are fantastic looking! Especially the shrimp ‘with leaves’ and Elery’s venison steaks (with leaves). That’s a lot of scapes, I’m ‘green’ with envy! LOL! I had quite a few this year, but gosh, not that many! Your peonies are gorgeous, and I imagine they scented your home beautifully. I’d planned to plant some this spring, but covid happened. And yes, spending more time with your Pastor is the kindest thing. You’re a thoughtful person, Annie. ETA: Annie, I just re-read the above, and I didn't mean to imply your past meals weren't delicious looking. I was trying to say everything you've cooked recently looks particularly appetizing... ah heck. You know what I'm trying to say!Linda, rosemary roast lamb… be still my heart… was it divinely delicious? I can find lamb only in small portions here. But really, sushi ahi and salmon… so not far for those of us who struggle with finding any fresh fish! And don’t you love dining outside? I can’t get enough when our weather cooperates. Bragu… Ha! I’m actually dressed today… but pj’s were the garment of choice most the day yesterday. Don’t tell anyone, ok? Plllog, I’ve never had apricot bread pudding, and yours looks luscious. Mom made one with peaches and raisins, and hard sauce too. The hard sauce made it : ) Sleevendog, I hope you enjoyed your trip to the mountains. From my opening comment above, you know I agree with you regarding missing Cuomo, the voice of reason and soundness. Your leeks and tomatoes look great – and I see you did have that BLT! And someone (your DH, he makes most your breads, right?) has some incredible lame skills! Gorgeous bread! We’ve a while before I see tomatoes in my garden. I do have a Sun Gold cherry that’s formed small fruit already. Which reminds me, weren’t you creating your own tomato? I remember something about that, and I thought last year or this year was the 3rd year for it? How did that go? Your dumplings look so good… I think I’ve still got some in the freezer. Wintercat, I had to look up shakshouka. That does look good… I admit to loving poached eggs, though, whites and all : )

Yes, I got gabby, but the meals above are all particularly enticing looking, don’t you all agree? It’s hot here. Simmering hot. As in 90’s F. With smothering humidity. How the heck our lettuce is still good I don’t know unless it’s the shade cloth… (patting myself on the back, ha ha)

Despite the heat, our screened porch is often decent enough by early evening to dine on. Shrimp egg rolls (hidden just enough so DH didn’t realize they were shrimp!), a couple dipping sauces, and black caviar lentils cooked in chicken stock with garlic scapes. Gooseberries and strawberries from our garden, the other fruit from the store... and sugar snap peas.

Annie… please tell Elery we had our first home grown collards last Saturday!!!! So different from what I find at the store! Far more tender, and nicer, and well… better : ) Collards with pinto beans (that’s bean juice on the plate), black forest ham,and a tahini-garlic-lemon juice sauce.

I spent most of Saturday making chicken stock (finally got all the frozen chicken carcasses and produce bits out of the freezer!), and a good part of the day Sunday canning. Annie is right, canning is addictive.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
annie1992

Plllog, you remind me that I should make some bread pudding. Mother likes it a lot, and she'd appreciate that.

Jasdip, frozen french fries are a potato, and I like pretty much all potatoes, so those frozen french fries are good by me. No one has a problem with frozen broccoli, or frozen green beans, or frozen berries.....

sleevendog, that loaf is a thing of beauty, wow! I also appreciate your Governor, and mine. Our cases have gone way down and they are staying down so far. Enjoy your time in the mountains.

Neely, I don't know what else to call them, other than "leaves". It's not lettuce, and it's not really greens, it's just.......leaves. Mizuna, spinach, baby bok choi, baby kale, maybe some green onions, depending on what is available. It's just leaves! LOL Oh, I like the sound of that chicken, and I LOVE anything with maple syrup, yum. It even looks good on that bed of "leaves", LOL.

Wintercat, I like shakshuka, and Elery likes it a lot, although he likes his a lot spicier than I like mine. Many times I'll eat the yolk of an egg and give the white to the dog, but I actually don't mind the white in shakshuka, go figure. We usually have it as a supper dish, I can't face tomato sauce first thing in the morning, for some reason.

2many, my Southern Friend, no offense taken at all, I know better!! (grin) Beans and Greens, I don't know how it could get more southern than that, especially with some ham in there, and I'll be sure to tell Elery that YOUR collards are bigger than mine, ours aren't quite ready yet. It's been hot here too, yesterday it hit 89F, with humidity in the 90s, it's just not right for Michigan, geez. Your shrimp egg rolls look nice and crunchy, I'd like those and i like shrimp a lot, so double bonus for me. You are right about canning too, there's just something about seeing those jars lined up and those are so pretty. We're processing chickens on Wednesday, the Princess is coming to "babysit" my Mother. I'll having matching canned jars on my counter after that...

Here I spent the day taking my grandson to his neurologist and making my first Sam's Club shopping trip since February. I checked for yeast and they didn't have any, although it was simply curiosity, and not necessity. They did have lots of flour and I bought some vanilla.

We had leftovers from yesterday for supper, smoked brisket and twice baked potatoes. Well, Mother and I did, Elery wouldn't eat the potatoes, and had the last bit of "leaves" in the fridge. I need to cut some more tomorrow and get them cleaned.

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

I think we (here in Cooking or at least WFD) should like Annie, refer to salad from now on as leaves. It makes so much sense. Funnily I bought vanilla today. A bottle of the good stuff. I have been using beans lately but they are a little annoying to use especially when in a hurry.

Lovely to read your posts 2many and those meals and photos are great.

I’m a fan of shakshouka Wintercat, It is still basically huevos rancheros to me and I like it with plenty of chilli. Actually, I have found that either chillies aren’t as hot as they used to be or else my tolerance for chilli heat has gone up because I can eat more and hotter lately.

That bread Sleeve plus your meals look good as usual. I’ve never had succotash, and while I could easily look it up on Google I kind of like not having a clue what it is. Was there an old cartoon.... something about “suffering succotash”

Dinner was a savoury vegetable tart. There’s previously cooked eggplant in the bottom, and those are sour cream dollops. The pastry had Parmesan cheese included so it really was all about the pastry.

1 Like Save    

@neely that tart looks really good!

@2MD The lamb has been plentiful here, especially when quality beef has been harder to find. It comes in a large piece and we have been roasting half and the second half we marinate and make Greek lamb skewers. Both are delicious.

No pictures today as dinner last night was a complete failure. I had bought some fresh fish at the harbor. Normally buying what they have on sale is a good technique. Not so much this time - It literally tasted like cat food. Even my lemon butter thyme sauce could not save it. Neither my husband or I could finish it. So....what was left ended up going to the cat. When we looked it up, it turns out that it was a lower quality fish. I now have a new rule - no more impulse buys of anything that I am not familiar with.

Save    

We, for the most part, have proteins we are familiar with. Same supplier/butcher. A couple things did not come out so good. Shoe leather London broil sous vide.

I do make my own dumplings usually but purchased some back in January from a market that makes them and again from the delivery folk. Why they are a bit over-steamed. Just need to watch them closely next time. The convenience right now is so welcome.

DH does the bread mixing, proofing, pinch and fold...I do the shaping and my first attempt at lame. Just started watching a few videos. Fun. No doubt will get better.

Annie, Whitmer has been getting press. Smart. Much respect. She is on Bidens short list.

2MD, impressive getting 'leaves' in the heat.

Brought out one of my cameras but the new SD card will not format. Went back to the old one and had fussed so much with the settings I took pics for a few days that came out soo out of focus, grrr. Just cell phone process/prep shots. Had yet another BLT and 2 hour pickles w/salad and artichokes.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I had the strongest urge for sausage so I whipped up a pasta salad to go with it.

Annie, just to see I checked the Costco website and they don't even have yeast listed anymore. Their Red Star was the best I've ever used.

1 Like Save    

I was going to make a greek meal tonight, but had one client fire after another to deal with, so no time to cook. My husband made scampi instead. I am working from home tomorrow, so hopefully that will allow me more time to cook. I am hoping to make lamb skewers, humus, dolmas and baklava, but we will see how the day goes.

I've been getting my yeast from Amazon. They were really slow, but are now back to their normal prime schedule. Would this work - https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Star-Active-Dry-Yeast/dp/B0014CWDJO/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=red+star+platinum+yeast&qid=1592966904&sr=8-19?

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Had a great meal last night, but no picture. Had shredded pork tenderloin, polenta cooked in the Instant Pot (IP) using the PIP method and added Parmesan cheese, butter, and fresh ground black pepper when done, and IP cooked sweet potato. It was so very good and I truly enjoyed it, but could eat only half - so leftovers for another night.

Save    
Jasdip

Cooler weather today so perfect for making my bread, hotdog and hamburger buns.

Our provincial hydro company has made the hydro/electricity rates the same price 24/7. We're on Pay per Use and we pay more than Off-Peak price but less than Mid-Peak, so I don't need to wait for weekends as I did previously to take advantage of off-peak pricing.

The heat is coming back on Friday so I'm loving this weather.

A local bakeshop is selling yeast at $8/lb so I'll probably have to bite the bullet and pay that, soon.

Lynda, I checked our Amazon and they're selling Red Star for $35.

3 Likes Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Your bread and rolls look yummy! Tell me about your pasta salad.

Yikes on the yeast price-hope the suppliers can adjust to our new demand and we can get back to normal pricing soon.

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Bread looks beautiful @Jasdip. Costco has yeast much less costly if you can order from one.

Save    
Jasdip

Walnut.....Our Costco stores have been out of yeast in the stores for months, and it's no longer even showing on their website. I wish I could get it!

Lizbeth, it's just pasta, peppers, onions, celery,and the rest of the canned artichokes. And chopped lovage. :-D Just bottled Zesty Italian Dressing that I put on while the pasta was still warm. It was nice and refreshing.

Save    

What a crazy day. I dealt with two client emergencies, spending 4+ hours on video calls. My brother lost his job yesterday, so I spent time trying to help him figure out a way forward.

Somehow in the midst of all of this chaos, we managed to pull together our Greek meal and I even taught my 11 year old son to make baklava. Poor kid he is so bored.

This is grilled lamb marinated with garlic and our lemon and fresh oregano, garlic hummus, dolmas made with our lemon, dill, parsley, mint and grape leaves. We finished up with baklava, whipped cream and our just picked raspberries. It was so good it made up for the tough day.

3 Likes Save    
shirl36

Breads always catch my eye....

Jaspid you bread and rolls are super delicious looking this morning. And Jaspid you amaze me how you cook for yourself after losing your Tom. You surely like to cook. I admire you.

Baklava I have never attempted, always wanted to, if an 11yr can, I should try. Lynda R do you have TnT recipe you would share? Looks delicious.

CF a great place for cooking inspirations. From a post last week, we are having Potatoes Anna today for lunch.

Save    
Jasdip

I agree about the CF for inspiration, Shirl! The very next time I'm having chicken breasts, I'm poaching them in maple syrup and water that Neelydid. And with orzo as well, both she and I love orzo.

Thanks for your kind words about continuing to cook, without Tom. Yes I do, but I honestly don't enjoy it. He was a great guinea pig......up for anything I want to try, and I adored cooking for us.

Since I'm not one to eat out, nor just eat a sandwich and call it a meal, I have to. But instead of cooking because I enjoy it, I just cook to live. Thru the week I eat at the kitchen table amongst the grocery flyers, notes, recipes etc.

On weekends I treat myself to eating in the livingroom (yes, a treat, LOL) on a tv table watching a gripping tv show, with a glass (or 2) of wine. LOL

2 Likes Save    

2MD, nice to have stock on hand. Pulled out of the freezer a 1/4 pint and 1/2 pint of braised thighs in their broth.

Quick Corona Bean and Chicken Veg Soup. Torn sourdough croutons. Artichokes.

Last night Lamb and Roasted Veg.

2 Likes Save    

@shirl Baklava is super easy, just time consuming.

Here is how I make mine:

I keep packages of phylo sheets in my freezer. When I want to make baklava I move the frozen sheets to the refrigerator about two days before so they can defrost.

Preheat the over to 350.

The filling is 1 pound of walnuts with 1 to 2 teaspoons of high quality cinnamon. This goes into a food processor and pulse until you have small crumbs.

Then I melt two sticks of butter in a bowl until they are completely liquid.

Take your phylo dough out of the package and arrange it flat on your workspace and cover with a damp dishtowel to keep it moist.

Assemble in a 9 x 13 baking pan. Put one sheet of phylo in the pan and fold over any excess edges so it is flat in the pan. Using a pastry brush, cover the phylo sheet with melted butter. It should be completely saturated with a thin layer of butter. Add another sheet on top and repeat this process 4 or 5 times, brushing each new phylo sheet with butter. Add a fresh phylo sheet (no butter this time) and cover with 1/3 of the filling spread out thinly. Continue adding phylo sheets, one at a time and saturating them with butter. Melt more butter, if needed. Follow this order using all phylo and filling like this:

4 - 5 phylo sheets w/ brushed butter on top of each sheet

1 filling layer, no butter

3 -4 phylo sheets w brushed butter on top of each sheet

3 -4 phylo sheets w brushed butter on top of each sheet

Remaining phylo sheets w brushed butter on top of each sheet

Before you put it into the oven, use a pastry cutter or knife to cut into pieces in the pan. I usually make two straight cuts long-wise and then make diagonal cuts. This must be done first before you cook it.

Cook for 40 minutes at 350 until golden brown.

While baklava is cooking, make the syrup by mixing 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar and heating on a high heat until combined. Reduce the heat to medium low and add 1/2 cup honey and 1 - 2 teaspoons real vanilla. Continue cooking for 20 minutes.

When baklava is done, immediately pour the honey syrup over the top of it making sure every piece is saturated. Wait at least 20 minutes before serving to allow the syrup to penetrate all of the layers.

1 Like Save    

@sleevendog That lamb dish is really impressive and your plating is always so beautiful.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

You know, I love walnuts, cinnamon, butter, and phylo, but when they are put together i the form of baklava, I just don't care for the end product. I have tried for many years to like it, but just don't care for it at all. Strange how our tastebuds work.

Save    
shirl36

Thanks LyndaR for posting your Baklava, it is on my ToDo list.

Well I tried to make Pommes Anna for lunch today. Was not a real success for looks, but tasted so good. Must do more research. They did not hold together real well. I know I used to much butter, not enough potatoes, not letting cool long enough coming out of oven before inverting, but how long is to cool? But I will try again, soon.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

They look good enough Shirl, that my stomach growled! Everything you make is worthy of a magazine cover, it's unusual that these didn't turn out for you. But they still look great to me!

Save    

Anna looks good but if you want a bit more crusts and to hold shape, look at this recipe, HERE. I do about the same but romano and some minced green onion somewhere in the first/second layer. I also use a weight over parchment while still on a burner...medium heat. (that also gets some steam going). Uncover then into the oven, middle rack.

Veggie 2hour pickle Tacos. Mint, basil, cilantro. Ginger/miso/toasted sesame drizzle. Feta. Afternoon snack. Made these for the all-day-dh-birthday feast last week. But added BoSaam pork and kimchi.

BoSaam salad hand rolls for dinner. (BoSaam from the freezer). Misfit box had a giant rainbow chard bunch filling half the box. Did not order it but probably to make up for some other offerings not so pretty, 😂. Nothing rotten, very fresh. Perfect for hand rolls.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I had good intentions of making potatoes, maybe crashed, to go with my slopy joes. But after some errands and other running around, time got away from me before I had to start work. Frozen fries to the rescue! LOLOL. Honest to God, frozen fries have never been in my freezer, until I discovered that the fries at Costco are Cavendish brand (A Canadian brand). McCain's, yuck!

So dinner was sloppy joes and fries. There's a flattened homemade bun under that mess.

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

An article in this week's paper described how to make the perfect burger. 2 patties cook more evenly and quicker than 1 thick one. My two patties were a bit too thick but I took the challenge!

Softened onions, a condiment sauce (mayonnaise, dijon, touch of ketchup and dill pickle juice).

So here is my cheeseburger with 2 patties, "special sauce" lettuce, onions and a dill pickle slice on the burger. My burgers stayed together vs falling apart, which they usually do. Yay!

I cut it in half to eat, still messy as heck but pretty darned good!!! My potato salad that I like, using olive oil, red wine vinegar, whole seed mustard and chopped lovage.

I'm having a watermelon popsicle now for dessert. Very refreshing, I'll definitely make them again.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5

Good lookin' potato salad! Might have to make SloppyShortRibs with some leftovers.

Big afternoon salad Friday while braising short ribs for dinner.

Short ribs took longer than expected....needed another hour so went ahead and had the sides as a first course. Grain is wild rice, spelt and summer wheat.

Hot plates with some braising liquid and some grain...forgot plating pic. Nice to have a second course...we usually just make one heaping plate. (less dishes)

So much rib leftover we had it again last night but changed it up. Sauté/steamed some veg with a 1/4 pint of bone broth and made a fresh style stew.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Your grain side dish looks delicious, Sleeve! Are those fresh peas out of your garden?? Nooooo!

Save    
sarahsocal

Moving over from my other thread, thought I should post my update here.

Dinner last night:

Burrata with basil vinaigrette, tomatoes and balsamic:

Goat Cheese and Herb Farfalle (recipe link on the Burned Out Thread):

The pasta was good - very creamy. The herbs and lemon added great flavor. We liked it but it won't become a regular for us.

Tonight = french onion soup. Have made it before and never been 100% happy with the result. Hopefully this will be my time!

1 Like Save    
neely

Wow so many good meals shown in great photos. Stand out for me was Lynda’s Greek feast including the baklava, and Jasdip’s bread. Also loved Sleevendog’s beautiful meals and sarahsocal your farfalle plate looks amazing.

Easy dinner for us was spaghetti with Parmesan, olive oil, garlic and chilli. (habanero)

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Your pasta looks wonderful Neely.

I bought a bag of lemons and froze the juice into ice cubes. I had one lemon left so I made picatta with orzo tonight.

Looking at the picture, the chicken looks pretty yucky. LOL. But it was browned, and cooked through by simmering in the sauce, and so tender! I didn't bread it, just floured it, perhaps that's why it's not pretty.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

First green beans of the season out of our garden. Tasted so very good! And enough left for another meal. (I didn't dish all of them up since I knew we'd never eat all of them tonight.)

1 Like Save    

Pretty tomato salad. Should have some soon from the garden. Chicken next time we fire up the grill.

After the short ribs we had a favorite meatless meal last night. Eggplant Nasu Dengaku. Bonito flake to the table. Sweet little Misfit peach so good with feta and avocado..

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, I have some Bonito flakes that I put on the cats' foods when they get fussy. They're strong smelling!

Save    

I had today off, so I got to experiment a bit. Dinner tonight was pan fried salmon in a lemon dill cream sauce. On the side we had couscous with garlic, shallots and chard. Dessert was raspberry mousse with whipped cream and blueberries. All new recipes to me. I have had a few fails lately, but all three tonight were keepers.

We used our homegrown chard, dill, lemon blueberries and raspberries.

3 Likes Save    
neely

Lynda your dinner looks delicious. I could scoop up the cous cous from the screen.

Lucky you Ediej, eating home grown beans, looks good.

Love your meatless meal Sleevendog and the eggplant look so yummy.

Jasdip....chicken and orzo can’t be beaten.

Asian flavours meal. Pork meatballs with garlic and ginger. Grains and veg over noodles. OK but I may have splashed in a little too much fish sauce.

3 Likes Save    

@Neely So does yours! I love making Asian dishes. I had a position that required frequent travel to China & Hong Kong and was inspired by so many great meals on my trips.

Save    

Recently purchased 10 pounds of ginger and a pound of fresh turmeric,😂. love it. Dill with salmon so good. Bummer my garden dill did not take. But do have lots of dried. One of the dried herbs that is similar to fresh.

Burgers last night. With a watermelon, peach, avocado salad with fresh mint. Feta.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Neely your dinner looks scrumptious! I had pork tonight too, but not quite as healthy as yours :-D

I cooked enough potatoes with their skins on to make German potato salad in the next couple of days.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh my, I might never catch up!

Shirl, I'd eat those potatoes without hesitation, yum.

Edie, that's how I grew up eating green beans, with potatoes in them. Grandma learned to cook from her stepmother who was from Kentucky and beans got cooked a good long time. Mine are just starting to get blossoms, so maybe a month or so...

sleevendog, I never thought of chicken with beans, I'm going to have to try that. I don't have the Corona beans, but I've got about 10 other kinds! Elery asked that I make a batch of your pickled mustard seeds too, so that's on my list of things to do.

Jasdip, congratulations on your burger success, LOL. I swear we think alike, I had burgers too!

Neely, the meatballs look really good, sorry about the fish sauce. I've gotten a little "heavy handed" with ingredients more than once. (sigh)

Lynda, I do like dill with salmon, or with pretty much any fish, and I have some growing, I've got to use some of that.

Sarah, good luck on that French Onion soup. I love the stuff but mine just is never as good as the stuff I get at restaurants. I keep trying...

Here I'm still eating leaves. Lots and lots of leaves. We had hamburgers on the grill, with leaves:

Broccoli and cheese quiche, with leaves:

Pork chile verde in tortillas, with leaves:

Mother ate the quiche, and the burger, but wouldn't even try the pork and refuses any kind of salad or greens. So tonight, while Elery and I had the pork Mother had a fish sandwich from McDonald's. (shrug) I also made some one AnnT's biscuits and sliced up some exceptional local strawberries and made her strawberry shortcakes:

While we were eating dinner, a "guest" was on the lawn, eating the roses. She was right outside my window, close enough to touch. She seems to want to be a pet, she's not at all afraid of me and doesn't run even if I go outside, she just wanders off. And, of course, she ate every single rose off the rose bush. Not the bush itself, just the flowers. If she wants to be a pet, she's not making brownie points this way!

This would have been a great picture except for the glare on the window glass...

Tomorrow I'm spraying apple trees and weeding peppers and eggplant. I have no idea what's for dinner\ because it's supposed to be 94F with humidity in the high 80s.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Annie I love your dinner guest!!! Too bad he wasn't a weed eater, instead of your precious roses. A local farmer who posts regularly on Facebook to teach people about farming.....he has Oreos beef cattle (Belted Calloway) and Holsteins. He posted a video of Vanilla, one of his dairy cows (white, obviously) carefully and daintily on the lawn eating just the dandelions! There's an idea for you. :-)

I'm not buying strawberries this year, I'm going to use frozen to make freezer jam. $40 a flat is out of my price range :-(

I bought another tasteless watermelon this week for the sole purpose of making watermelon and quinoa salad, and my popsicles.

Salad is made (watermelon, quinoa, thinly sliced onion, feta, mint, olive oil and balsamic).

My potatoes of choice are Yellow (Yukon specifically doesn't seem to be available, so Yellow is what they're called now.

Tuesday I bought a bag of white, they were on sale for $2.99 vs $6 for yellows. I don't have good luck tbh with whites, they're usually black and just lousy overall.

This bag was true to form. Freshly opened bag and the potatoes are crap. Now having said that, I do know they're still last year's crop, but I'm sticking to yellow sticker price or not.

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, I don't know what it is with the watermelon this year, they all seem bland and flavorless. Maybe the weather? Or they have a new "variety" that ships and keeps but has no flavor, like they've done to tomatoes?

Annie

1 Like Save    

I stopped buying any melons a few years ago unless they gave samples. Such a waste of money. Took a chance with my deliveries and they have been most excellent. It is usually a coin flip.

Planned to make baby asian meatballs with the other 1/2 pound of beef, but had another burger. 😂 easier. Gorgeous greens. Lacinato kale and rainbow chard still fresh from a week ago, Misfits.

3 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night had some leftover roast beef, so cut it up into bite-size pieces, put BBQ sauce on it and heated slowly in the microwave (next time will use the IP to heat). Baked a large potato, put the BBQ roast beef on top of the baked potato, and added sour cream and cheddar cheese. Very tasty.

Save    

Dumplings, white miso, mixed greens/veg, yada-yada. ...spiced/roasted garbanzos...

Save    

@sleevendog That looks so good and really healthy.

We harvested carrots today and had some for dinner. We sauteed them in butter and added garlic. Not much to look at (so no pictures) but were so good. Dinner was New York steak, but the carrots really stole the show. Our son doesn't like cooked vegetables, so he ate his raw and also raved how good they were. We started growing vegetables five years ago, when he wouldn't eat anything, and I was desperate to get some nutrients into him. Now he loves most of the fruit and vegetables we grow.

1 Like Save    

DH made excellent sourdough. Thunderstorm rolling in and LOUD. Battened down the garden hatches. Hail can be destructive. Pups nervous. One of those days just now deciding what to have for dinner....

Save    
annie1992

Beautiful bread, sleevendog. I'm wishing for some rain here, it's in the 90s for the past several days and will be for another week at least, with no rain in sight. We cut hay today because it's just burning up, I'm hoping I have enough for the winter, but I may have to buy some, if I can find it to buy. I'm running the sprinklers for the garden all day because the moisture evaporates before it does much good.

Odd weather, it's not supposed to be 90+ in Michigan, geez.

Here supper was home canned sauerkraut with our homemade italian sausages, some anasazi beans that Elery cooked and a stir fry of various greens. Not pretty enough to take pictures.

Annie

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

New recipe with brown rice. Cracked toasted flax seeds which really added nuttiness. Softened onions, lemon juice and zest and the ever-present lovage! and chopped mint because I have it. Salad and glass of wine.

Basa fillet which I love. Hoping this healthier meal counter-acts yesterday's fried chicken :-) I ate half and froze half, so I behaved.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

That fish looks delicious, Jasdip!

Save    

@jadsip That fish looks really good.

@sleevendog Your husband's bread is inspiring. I need to be more adventurous in bread making. I keep sticking to the same few things I can do consistently.

We are bbqing tri tip tonight with grilled peppers and tomatillo salsa. I made a nectarine plum wine sangria earlier today, that we will have with it. We just harvested our second bunch of bananas for the year....so bananas foster will be dessert. We have two more bunches coming later in the summer. Our fireworks shows have all been cancelled, and our beaches are all closed, so we will have to settle for lighting the bananas foster pan on fire!

Save    
neely

Good dinners folks.

We’ve had a hiccup in my city’s virus recovery so DH and I have placed ourselves in voluntary isolation. . Hence I am back to baking.

This is the Orange Almond cake I often bake, only this time it is Blood Oranges from our tree. Need to use them up as we are still eating the marmalade I made last year.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Travel by Design Houzz Travel Guide: New York City for Design Lovers
Where to stay, shop, eat and explore in the Big Apple, from a design-minded architect who lives there
Full Story