SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steveandpar

Concrete block House w/ 1" studs furred out - romex vs wire molding

steveandpar
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our house was originally built in 1960 and had some extensive remodeling prior to us buying it. One of the things that was done prior to us buying it; on one of the walls they put 1" wood furring strips attached to the concrete block wall then installed drywall. There are some outlets on the wall that are original and have a steel gang box that is connect to ground installed in the concrete box, then they have an plastic extender box with an outlet attached. I would like to add cable lighting that is only 100W Halogen total (5 x 20W bulbs) and an extra outlet. They only power available due to the concrete block of the house is tapping off one of these outlets. I have a 20 amp breaker and only 6 outlets on the circuit right now. Since the gap between drywall and concrete block is only 1", I have to use shallow gang boxes. My question is, is there a good reason I shouldn't use romex versus wire molding with THHN? I understand that if I use romex, I have to stay at least 1 1/4" from the framing, I would need nail plates across and furr strip I cut through to run the romex horizontally, and I need to use masonry staples to mount on the concrete wall. It will be a lot more expensive and more work to use THHN and wire molding because I will need about 25 - 30 feet with at least 5 elbows. However, then I won't have romex behind the wall in a shallow gap. I looked at using flexible conduit, but it seems near impossible to find single gang boxes with 1 1/4 depth without ordering online. So it appears I should use romex or Legrand 500 series wire mold. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)