SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethy015

Help! Kitchen island/hutch remodel within an existing kitchen design

bethy015
3 years ago

Our kitchen was remodeled in 2001 by the original homeowners, and it is beautiful. Unfortunately the 19 year old oven needs to be replaced (small spontaneous electrical fire in the downdraft). The current oven is no longer the standard depth and therefore the entire island will need to be replaced. This means the floor will need to be redone. My DH has always wanted a double oven so we are using this as an opportunity.

The kitchen is gorgeous but we have never loved the color of the built in hutch (dark stain piece on right). This is where we plan to put in the double wall ovens. We plan to put in some sort of cabinets/hutch adjacent to the wall ovens.

The current counters are Pyrolave (lava stone) in Ivoire. We are planning to use that for the island top and the top of the new cabinet/hutch to replace the existing hutch. I have a sample piece on the way to see if it matches.

We cannot match the exact cabinet color as they are painted an ivory paint with a gold wash and soft crackle finish. We can utilize the hardware on the existing island and hutch for the new pieces. We can also utilize some of the island drawers/cabinets for the new island if that makes sense.

Right now we are thinking of copying the style of the leaded glass cabinets in the new hutch/cabinet area with a flipper cabinet below to house our mixer and toaster. The current flipper cabinet houses our coffee maker, electric tea kettle, blender, and grinder.

Here is what I need help with:

1. Paint or stain the island and new cabinets/hutch? What colors should I consider?

2. Any suggestions on island edge style? We will lose the current columns which we tend to run into.

3. Should we use the pyrolave on all surfaces or use a butcher block again for the island?

Comments (31)