SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_340000469

Help Understanding Kitchen and Bathroom Remodel Costs

HU-340000469
3 years ago

I am a first-time homeowner remodeling an 8ft x 8ft kitchen in a condo and trying to understand the prices that I am getting from general contractors. The remodel plan involves removing a non-load bearing wall, moving some appliances around so there is plumbing and electrical work to be done. I am not trying to do a high-end remodel, just a pretty basic one with stock cabinets. Below is what I think very reasonable costs.

• Cabinets (Wolf Cabinets or Similar - Plywood box construction) – $5,000
  • Cabinet Install (2 days @ 1k/day) - $2,000
  • Electrical (Assume 3 days @ 1k/day) – $3,000
  • Plumbing (Assume 3 days @ 1k/day) – $3,000
  • Demo (includes removing non-load bearing wall) – $2,000
  • Flooring – (Not included, I will DIY) - $0
  • Painting (Not included, I will DIY) - $0
  • Backsplash (Simple Subway Tile - assume 8 sqft) – $1,000
  • Granite Countertops (Including Install) - $2,500 ()
  • Incidentals (Time and Material) - $2,500
  • TOTAL = $20,000

I think my estimates for the demo, electrical, and plumbing are on the high side but I am trying to be very conservative with my estimates. I have quotes at 25k – 40k (excluding appliances). I can see the 25k number being reasonable since I missed some smaller stuff (sink, disposal), the General Contractor needs a profit margin and the GC doing the coordination provides value, but how can a 40k number be justified?

I am experiencing the same thing with bathroom quotes. For a 5ft x 8 ft bathroom (with a tub) where I am replacing the vanity/flooring/bathtub/wall tiling/toilet but not touching any electrical. Everything will be replaced in the same exact location so it seems like a very simple 1-week job. I have quotes for $10,000 - $17,000. The 10k seems reasonable but the 17k seems outrageous.

My question is are my estimates for the kitchen reasonable and where do these very high price quotes come from?

Comments (22)