SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmitryrn1805

Bathroom remodeling costs...reasonable or not?

d d
7 years ago

Gearing up for a master bathroom remodel.

8x12 existing bathroom, really dated.

Got 3 quotes -

$32k [did not get a good personal vibe from this contractor, possible can of worms.]

$43k [very reputable company, 50 years in business, does remodels and builds houses]

$55k [one of the major kitchen and bath design-build companies in the state.]

I was floored with these projected costs, don't know if I should keep getting quotes.

Wants -

full gut

heated floor

insulation on floor, walls, ceiling

inline fan in the attic

tile only on floor, not walls

steam shower

soaker bath

one sink 36" vanity

HansGrohe faucets

Is over $40k really the price for a job like that?! I was thinking half of that, but I'm coming to now...

A couple of additional details - we are in coastal New England, the building is about 90 years old.

The contractor who gave us the middle quote wants $5,640 for the tile work on the 8x12 floor and 40x48 shower, where the tile would cover 2 walls, one 40" wide, the other 48" wide, both 8" high. That includes waterproofing the steam shower. And that quote is for laying standard 6x6 tile, with any variants and patterns costing extra.

In total, the materials and fixtures in his estimate are projected at $17k, while labor is projected at $27k.

Does this seem reasonable?

The company has been is business for 50 years, and does a fair amount of high end jobs in our town, ranging from renovations to building from ground up.

Comment (1)