SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

How do you like your toast?

plllog
3 years ago

I used to like toast almost more warmed and dried than truly toasty, with butter or jam or salty margarine. With homemade bread, especially, I now tend to like it really toasty and crunchy with salted butter, especially cultured butter. My favorite is Vermont Creamery (nee Vermont Butter and Cheese Company), which is cultured, Euro style (86% fat) with sea salt, and comes in a cute little basket wrapped in gingham print paper and fits perfectly in my perfectly twee butterdish (though I usually just wrap it back up and put it in a ziplock in its basket in the fridge as the easiest way to keep it fresh. Recently, their American style (82% fat) sticks have been readily available, but not the Euro. The fat content doesn't matter for toast but it just wasn't doing the job. Then I figured out I have a sea salt grinder there on the table, though I rarely use it. One little twist is all it needs. And I've often chosen the margarine, when there was no cultured butter in the house, for its saltiness rather than its spreadability. Conclusion, I like my toast with salt!

How about you?

Comments (32)