SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwiegand

How long does your toaster take to toast?

rwiegand
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

20 some years ago I bought a rather expensive Cuisinart toaster. It's been a hate/hate relationship ever since, but I couldn't give it up because it cost so much and I'm stubborn and still don't understand sunk cost. ;-) The stupid thing takes 4-5 minutes to toast normal bread, longer for bagels or anything with more moisture content. By the time it's done I've long since forgotten about breakfast and moved on to other things. So, it finally broke! Which means I can now try again, and I really don't want to repeat this mistake. Unfortunately toasters don't seem to include how long they take in their long lists of marketing attributes.

I have an 1950's Sunbeam, which makes perfect toast in under a minute. Unfortunately the slots are too small for lots of things DW likes to toast, so I can't just use it.

So for the range from the $19.95 blue light special to the $300+ Dualit, how long do current generation toaster take to do their job? It doesn't need to do anything else-- no toaster ovens please, no lights, no beeps, no internet connectivity, one adjuster for the cycle time is the only control needed. All I really care about is reasonably even toasting, done quickly.

Do you have a quick, modern toaster you'd recommend? Or have toasters gone the way of dishwashers and washing machines to ever longer cycles?

Comments (16)