SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58750199

Be cautious of Win 10 v.2004

User
3 years ago

I have a relatively new Lenovo All-In-One model 000EUS that came with one terabyte of RAM of which I've barely used 100 gigabytes.

I do not allow auto updates from any source but keep a current and close watch for all app and system updates. This past Tuesday, I uploaded 130 patches from MS for my system and then opted to upload the latest Win 10 version being offered by MS...version 2004. I have spent the last few days trying to deal with it and all its bugs. It tried its best to break my system but I gave up the battle before it reached that point and rolled back my system to a comfortable v.1909. I'll wait until MS cleans up its act with this latest version. In the mean time, I strongly suggest that any of you who are interested in uploading this latest version read the release notes I've linked below. IMO...MS should not have released this v.2004 until it had worked out the majority of the cited bugs but that being said...do yourselves a big favor and read the notes. You'll save yourselves a lot of grief.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

Comments (35)

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Thanks for the information.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"I have a relatively new Lenovo All-In-One model 000EUS that came with one terabyte of RAM "

One terabyte is 1000 gigabytes (GB) and I'm confident that your PC doesn't have one terabyte of RAM. A more likely number is 8 GB of RAM (less than 1% of one terabyte). If there's a spec for the unit that says "one terabyte", that's the hard drive. No harm, no foul but big difference. One affects capacity and speed of use, the other is just storage space.

It's not a good practice to limit, delay or meter updates. When software tells you there's an update, unless you're beginning a session that needs to be done at that time, allow it to happen. If you want to delay it (as with Firefox), do the update when you can walk away from the PC.

Different from earlier versions, I think the default Win10 setting is to check and auto install updates. No reason to not do that as far as I know.

• Related Discussions

Top 10 Best Performers of 2008

Q

Comments (33)
    I hope I have this right Crintonic Gardens? What's up with all the Hansons? That has confused me since day 1 & now will have that locked in my ol' brain forever now. Curt Hanson is the 1 I want. Holy toledo! I just got done looking at C. Hanson's intros & instantly found @ 10 I would buy instantly. Too bad I can't afford much more at this point. I did read a post here on a lady that was going to that nursery & it should have registered, but it didn't. My taste seems to be just a bit different than most here, so I won't bore you with the 1's I like. But I do have to ask what the terminology is for the look of the '08 intro Catch A Wave. Reading the description on their PDF file is really blurry & can't make it out. I really like the look of the reversed pinch? Rita, there is no offese taken on any advice you have ever given me & I really appreciate your help. Everything you say makes perfect sense to me. I personally would go for all dormants if I could. I'm not real wild on looking at ratty foliage come spring. It seems that it might be something I need to tolerate until the season gets going. I am definitely taking your advice & only buying 2 more for the year. I really am anxious to see how these all pan out next spring to see if I can deal with the evergreens. As far as the bud count goes, I plan on potting them instead of growing them in the ground. Hopefully that will make some difference. This is the 1st situation EVER that I am willing to pamper something & overwinter it.
    ...See More

Easter Sunday to present....

Q

Comments (3)
    What an amazing way to tour our wonderful country. I'm training for an 11 mile bike ride for a triathlon, and cannot even fathom the distance you have done. Eighty miles in one day??!!! I am in awe, and high fiveing you from NJ- stay strong and safe the rest of your trip! -Polly
    ...See More

Our Story Using TV Shows....The Entire Story Line

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for all your hard work Karen! Can't wait to read it in its entirety. Jodi-
    ...See More

80 miles in one day and more...

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree, thank you so much for sharing the details of your trip! It sounds like you are truly having the adventure of a lifetime :-)
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

You uploaded patches to Microsoft? Amazing that they'd accept the files. :-)

Or do you mean that you downloaded the updates from a Microsoft server to your Lenovo?

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

thanks for the warning. I will check it out before downloading.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elmer...my current system figures are 863 GB free of 930 GB. But I'm so tired and heat stressed that my eyes are crossed. At the moment...I really don't care. What I do care about is that having rolled back the v.2004 upgrade...my system is happy and so am I. As for "auto install" it's not part of my vocabulary and it never will be. I prefer a much more personal touch.

My intent with my post was to offer a warning. Pure and simple! Take it or leave it.

Dadoes...Do you have nothing better to do with your time than pick on tired and stressed little ole ladies? Obviously you understood the import of my message. The rest is inconsequential.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"my current system figures are 863 GB free of 930 GB"

Sure, that's the hard drive, not RAM.

I'm just suggesting that you're off into the weeds monitoring and reading releases about serially numbered OS updates. It's not necessary but updating software IS necessary. Let the equipment look after itself, that's what it's meant to do. Very rarely for a variety of reasons, an update will hiccup. They usually fix themselves for that too.

Frequent technical bulletins are issued for many other products you own - cars, fridges, washing machines, etc. I don't suspect you follow those.

Good luck.

• azinoh
    3 years ago

I have 2 Dell desktops...a 2014 XPS 8700 w/Win 10 Home and a 2019 XPS 8930 w/Win 10 Pro, and I have accepted every Win 10 update that has come down the pike almost as soon as it has become available...every...last...one. Zero problems. If I'm doing something wrong, I'm still waiting to find out what it is.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

My laptop came with Windows 10. I had no idea one could even try to limit updates....it all happens automatically without any input from me. I never even know it happens until I power up and discover that I need to sign into OneDrive again and that my browser is not up and already running!

LOL! I am such a Luddite! It's a good thing the dang computer is smarter than me and does it all itself, cuz I'd probably need help to figure it out myself :-)

• azinoh
    3 years ago

gardengal...you need to "sign in to OneDrive"? I never have, but I also never paid for xtra storage space...did you?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

"If I'm doing something wrong, I'm still waiting to find out what it is."

Azinoh...I certainly wasn't intimating that you or anyone else is doing anything wrong by accepting auto updates. I, personally, just don't do it. I like to know what's being offered. I don't like surprises. But that is not to say that I review every single update that comes along on Update Tuesday. I scan through the release notes at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4560960 to see what parts of my Win 10 system are being addressed. I, also, have Office 365 and appreciate knowing what's about to be added or subtracted from Word and Outlook. This is how I prefer to run my system. What you elect to do is personal to you and your system. It's not a matter of right or wrong. Don't put words in my cyber mouth for the sake of argument. I don't like Cloud either and won't run it on my system. But I'm probably in the minority and that's fine with me. It's a position I'm well used to.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Oh gosh.....IDK!! I don't think I paid extra but I do know that every time there is a software update, I get a notification that I am not signed into to my OneDrive account.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FYI Win 10 v.2004 is NOT an automatic download. One must make the decision for themselves whether or not to take it now that it's being offered. That's why I thought it timely to issue a caution...based solely on my experience with it...and offering the release notes for the version.

• Michael
    3 years ago

FYI Win 10 v.2004 is NOT an automatic download.

It's a Preview version intended for developers to use and give feedback to MS regarding bugs, glitches, etc., so it can be readied for public download.

We won't see an auto update for v.2004 until the compatibility issues are resolved for specific laptops, desktops, etc.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" I like to know what's being offered. I don't like surprises. "

Here's a surprise for you. Monthly updates involve tens of thousands and sometimes even hundreds of thousands of hours of work done by very smart people, many with multiple advanced degrees in Computer Engineering and Computer Science. What's done, why and how is beyond the understanding of someone without access to all the details, and even the bright folks working on one part of a problem may not understand what teams working on another part are doing. No software company discloses with specificity the nature of maintenance changes, especially not security patches, because doing so can signpost vulnerabilities.

Here's what might be another surprise - you're fooling yourself if you think a one sentence description here and there, like "We made changes to enhance security for users in certain circumstances" is telling you anything or is leading you to "know what's being offered". Descriptions are intentionally vague and often intentionally misleading. Fixes to some problems are sometimes done in stages, not all at once, and sometimes may be disclosed as having been made when not yet done.

Follow Ron Popeil's advice. Set your PC for auto updates. "Set it and forget it".

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

What useful information are you suggesting that ZD Net piece offers users? Learning that there have been "tweaks, fixes and updates" generically mentioned but not otherwise explained? If truly explained, which would never happen, I promise you no one without a working familiarity with the guts of the operating system would stand a chance to understand what was done. And even those working on it wouldn't likely be able to follow all the changes because familiarity tends to focus on the small pieces where one works and operating systems are too vast and complicated to be easily understood in their entirety.

I say there's nada, nothing useful and nothing anyone needs to know. You seem to think otherwise, I'm not sure why.

• acraftylady
    3 years ago

I am the same as azinoh. Have a Lenovo all in one desktop with win 10 and a Lenovo laptop with 10 thst are 1-1/2yrs old. No issues what so ever with the updates including the latest one rolled out. I takes the updates as they come. When I had one drive enabled I don't remember having to sign in after updates. I have had one drive disabled for months now. I only have the computer because of my husband. I do everything from android and prefer to back everything up to Google. My husband is not good with technology and prefers a computer or I would ditch them. Mary

• Michael
    3 years ago

OneDrive is not a required service. If it's a nuisance to you, disable it.

• acraftylady
    3 years ago

My phone has a large screen so not an issue for me,can't stand tiny phones. My newer Samsung tablet is 10 inches and does everything my computer does and has a pen I can write with. It actually works very well when I write then convert to text, no mistakes. I was very surprised about that. Before the pandemic I was seldom home to be tied to a computer so this works better for me. I have a 1TB external drive for the computers my son got me. Don't really need it but my son felt I did so I didn't argue. Mary

• jrb451
    3 years ago

I installed the auto update today on my elderly Dell. It promised to speed things up and after awhile, it did. Not using any of the bells and whistles at the moment, just the new Edge browser. Will need some time to adjust to finding my favorites but isn't it always something?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Richard. We appear to be one of a kind.

I have never refused an update. v.2004 was not part of this months offering of 130 updates. It's a new Win 10 version and must be manually downloaded. It's not an auto update. I take updates when offered. I just like to know what to expect from them as I, too, have failing eyesight so I review the release notes when available before I update. It's much easier when I know what to expect rather than being unnecessarily surprised. And, I, too, backup very regularly.

I was not happy to have to roll back v.2004. to v.1909. It offered some font settings that I have been looking forward to. But, alas, beyond the bugs that MS is openly reporting regarding v.2004...I may have discovered my systems' personal issues with the update.

Apparently, if I read correctly... Lenovo tested this update against much of their equipment...but not my particular model. If they don't release a new driver for my model to accommodate this v.2004...I may be stuck unless MS adjusts their version. The next month or so ought to tell. It's still early in the game and I suspect MS will be tweaking a few things in the coming weeks related to this version.

• Michael
    3 years ago

My Windows PC is a Dell XPS and according to Dell and MS, it's compatible with version 2004. That means it's been tested. If it acts out, I know how to use the restore point feature.

My wife's PC is a Dell Inspiron and it's not compatible....yet.

Once the drivers are available, I'll install version 2004 on the Inspiron.

It's all minor issues to me.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

For several days prior to my install I received messages that a “new Windows update was coming” but my computer wasn’t ready yet. I guess they had yet to have the drivers for my pc.

• Michael
    3 years ago

jrb, that is correct.

I performed the update last evening on the Dell XPS and all is well. In fact, perfect performance.

• acraftylady
    3 years ago

Booted up the laptop last night and saw a message about a new version of edge so downloaded it. Runs fast and smooth and I see no issues. Edge is my browser of choice. Will have to see if the desktop has the same message. I don't see anything about V 2004 on the laptop. Mary

• azinoh
    3 years ago

I don't and won't use Edge, but I started it accidentally the other day and noticed I'm still on v44.what.ever. I did get a beg to install the newest version...but I won't. Let MS have that data and chew on it. I'm actually surprised the new version hasn't been included with a Win 10 update.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

The old Edge was an out of control train wreck, perhaps the worst software product Microsoft ever produced. It had far too many incompatibilities with too many websites. (my own firm's internal website cautioned that neither Internet Explorer nor Edge should ever be used. And we do high level IT consulting. ) It was a memory hog, had erratic behavior, on and on.

Microsoft seems to have decided that the patches and bailing wire couldn't be salvaged and they're yanking old Edge permanently. Next destination- software oblivion.

The new Edge, with the blue and green logo, will seem familiar and for a good reason - it's a repackaged cousin of Google Chrome. It uses the same foundation of the open source project that Chrome does, uses Chrome extensions, has many of the same features Chrome has, and uses the Chrome rendering engine. It's Chrome with small customizations and a different name.

• acraftylady
    3 years ago

I know my friends and I are always the odd ones out with no issues while the masses have issues with stuff. Works great on our android devices too. Mary

• Michael
    3 years ago

If you're using the newer Edge browser, click on About and you'll see this:

This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"I know my friends and I are always the odd ones out with no issues"

No, I think a more likely explanation may be that you have far more confidence in what you think you understand than you should.

Microsoft thought there were too many problems with Edge, they couldn't fix them, and they had to eat crow, announce the change, and get in bed with the competition (a most bitter pill) to offer a quick fix. You thought Edge was fine because you thought you'd had no issues.

My vote for which of the two opinions was the better informed one goes to them.

I think your insistence on your very technically uninformed view (compared to Microsoft's) is pretty silly. You even downloaded a version of Chrome in the form of the new Edge and didn't realize it. And you said about this Chrome variant "Runs fast and smooth and I see no issues. ", thinking you were talking about Edge. Yes, that has been true of Chrome compared to Edge for several years now and THAT was what you experienced.

• acraftylady
    3 years ago

Even with IE it ran fast and smooth and I have used that since windows 98. Never saw issues back then when people were complaining about IE. Never used chrome to compare. Always used dolphin browser on my mobile devices until I switched to edge about a year ago. If my browser is not constantly freezing up and web pages and grapgics are loading fast then all is good in my world. If I have no issues with a product then I will stick with it. You will also be happy to know I have used the dreaded Norton since windows 98. Never has slowed my computers down. I know how to use it and at this point in my life see no reason to change. People should run their computer how they see fit and what works best for them. Mary

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    3 years ago

Acraftylady, I felt that 'sting" too. People Huh 🤪!!!

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Using Norton - +3 points

(I started using McAfee on some of my PCs a few months ago because I get it for free from ISP #2, and I'd run out of licenses from ISP #1 when I bought a few new machines. It's not bad, very Norton-like and slightly better performance score from PCMag.)

Your good experience with IE and Edge - Just a head scratch, they've sucked for a few years now and IE/Edge users have been switching to other browsers in droves. Especially with the erratic behavior on some websites. That's what triggered the unprecedented move by Microsoft.

Just for fun a few minutes ago, on a PC that hasn't upgraded yet, I tried to log on to a financial account I have using the old Edge (updated). After entering my username and password, the log-on was blocked with a message "Your browser isn't supported, use Firefox or Chrome". I did that for a reason, I'd seen the same thing happen 6 months ago when not paying attention to what browser I'd been using and remembered having that experience.

Enjoy your new Chrome browser!

(left out - Yes, everyone finds approaches and happiness different ways. When n=1, it's an anecdotal experience to be skeptical and careful with, even when it's your own experience)

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    3 years ago

Elmer, much better response (and I don't say that spitefully) 😊.