SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_984608791

HVAC Not Cooling HELP

HU-984608791
3 years ago

I have a Nordyne air handler in the attic and condensor unit outside. About 3 weeks ago we had heavy rain and the unit wouldn't turn on afterwards. The blower in the attic worked but not the condensor unit. I looked at the attic unit and noticed there was 2 inches of water in the overflow pan which tripped the safety switch. I drained the line with compressed air and vinegar and cleaned out all the standing water. After all this the unit still wouldn't work. Over the next several weeks I replaced various components starting with the condensor capacitor, fan motor and contactor switch. After doing all that and it still not working, I noticed the contactor switch wasn't getting 24V when the air was turned on. I bypassed the overflow switch in the attic and the condensor circuit board Tstat wires were now showing 24V however the wire running to the contactor (T2) still had 0 voltage. I tapped the wire into the Tstat wire and the condensor now runs and shuts off the way it should. My initial thought is the circuit board or relay is bad but after letting the system run for 10 minutes I noticed the air in the house is mild, not cold. There is condensation forming around the pipes running into the unit and they are cold. Does anyone know what's going on? Does this sound like the refrigerant is low or low pressure or maybe a bad condensor? I'm at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (2)