SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattman587

How do you conifer nuts water your beds?

Matt W (Zone 5 OH)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Question to all of the conifer nuts on here, how do you water your beds?

Background: As some may know, I have land and have been putting in larger conifer beds around the 1-2 acres around my home. Previously, I mainly hand water plants as needed. But as you can imagine, when you get more beds, water consumes more time. While there are some trees areas that I do not need to water or only supplementally water during times of drought, obviously things grow with more vigor if they get watered more often and especially when they need it.

I have started using some soaker hoses on certain beds and was conteplating burying them under my mulch. I do not inteand on installing a sprinkler/irrigations system mainly due to not wanting to water the leaves/needles of my plants but for those that do, I would love to know how your conifers do with it. An alternative that I was looking at was a low pressure drip irrigation system.

Frankly, I'm sick of dragging hoses all around my yard.

So my question, has anyone gone any of these routes and do you have any tips, pros/cons for me?

Just for perspective, I have put int 3 different beds this past year each around 30-40' long x 20' wide. I think I have put in the ground around 60 new conifers and japanese maples so far this year.

Thanks,

Matt

Gratuitous Conifer photo: Not a great photo as it needs mulch and a little more refinement. Thi bed is about 50' x 22' wide and is a kidney bean shape. Also, as I always state, there are things that are permanent in this bed and things I am willing to move as needed. Also, I have some other stones that I am thinking of incorporating.

Some of the items in the newest bed:

Abies grandis x concolor 'Leuteneggeri'

Larix kaempferi 'Diana'

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'

Picea glauca 'Ketch Harbor'

Pinus pumila 'Glauca'

Picea orientalis 'Shadow Broom'

Picea orientalis 'Weeping Dwarf'

Picea abies 'Gold Fingers'

Larix larcina 'Nash Pendula'

Larix Larcina 'Craftbury Flats'

Picea orientalis 'Instar'