SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_489294053

Advice compressor oil level/leaking flare fitting on new split install

3 years ago

Hi all,

First i'll preface this by saying that I am not in the HVAC industry but it has been an interest of mine for many years. I would really appreciate any advice regarding this issue.

Recently I had a company install a MHI Avanti Split System. During the install, when the tap was opened all of the factory precharge freon (R32) and a tiny amount of compressor oil was lost through one of the flare fittings that popped off on the evaporator side (was actually leaking from one of the condenser flare fittings too).

So both flares were re-done, tube was vac'd this time, and then the system was charged with a R32+POE (compressor oil) mix. Now I have two concerns which are somewhat related:

1) Seeing as next to no compressor oil was lost during the mishap, and now the whole system (850g) is being charged with the R32+POE mix, is it possible that there is too much POE (compressor oil) now in the system?

a) Does anyone know if there is a standardized ratio of R32 to POE that is adhered to?

2) How would you go about confirming how much compressor oil is in the unit? and how would you go about evacuating excess oil out of the unit?

3) I have discovered a small amount of compressor oil that has squirted out around the liquid line flare fittings on both the condenser and evaporator side. Is it possible that the flare fitting is okay and there is just a higher pressure running condition being created by excess oil in the system partially obstructing the Tx valve? Note that the unit has only been running in heating mode if it matters.

4) Is this system basically doomed from the get go? Where do I go from here? The company obviously offered an installation warranty however I just want to prevent things getting worse.

Thank you to anyone who read this and is willing to help!

Comment (1)