SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniella_meeker

Help! Walnut butcherblock counter w/ sink-faucet style?monocoat?epoxy?

Daniella Meeker
3 years ago

I have been so impressed by how much people have shared on this forum about wood counters and sinks, but not too much about new finishes like monocoat. I used waterlox in the past and water dripped off our hands and down the deck-mount faucet and killed the finish. We wash all dishes by hand, so there is a LOT of water action around our sink.

1. Finish - I see that there are retailers that are offering lifetime guarantee on monocoat, even around sink and with drainboards. (1A) Anyone have experience with monocoat? (1B) What about epoxy? (1C) Partial epoxy around the end-grain?
  2. Sink and faucet style (2A) I can't find any two-bowl fireclay/cast iron apron-front sinks that go all the way to the wall (like Ikea domojo) that are undermounted. Anyone know of something? (2B) I have found a sink that has faucet opening inside the basin, but I would still need to fill the gap between the sink and the wall. (2C) I have also seen some 5-hole apron front sinks with with deck mount behind the basin where the faucets drip onto the sink and not the counter, but this will not go all the way to the wall either and a thin strip between the faucet and the wall looks like a risk. The other option for drip-control would be (2D) wall mount faucet with control that extends all the way over the sink basin (3-4" from wall). Anyone seen something like this?

Is there any combination of sink/faucet and counter finish that people are happy with? I was so disappointed in the waterlox fail in my old house that I want to make my new sink a success!

Comments (10)