SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Having Trouble Committing to Countertop - Please Help! (w/ pics)

bellajourney
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I can't seem to commit to a countertop for our kitchen and would love your opinions.

The style is simple cottage - with maybe a touch of elegance (if we can pull it off!). We'd like the kitchen to be warm, friendly and inviting.

Here are the components that we have so far:

* Cabinets: shaker - white or off white

* Wall color: Ben Moore Fernwood Green (see room pics below)

* Floors: Red Oak clear finish

* Sink: Ikea Domsjo Single white farmhouse sink

* Chandelier: forged bronze - hoping it's not too fancy...not sure if we can return it if it is...

* Cupboard facing nook: will be painted and distressed - not sure what color yet, maybe white, off white or a coordinating shade of green

* Chairs: to be purchased - I am loving ladderbacks with a bit of a curve like these in white/off white

* Farm Style Table: wood top and white/off white

To be decided:

* Backspash - maybe subway tile or 4x4s like the ones in the granite pic below - not sure of color, maybe white, off white, or cream

* Fabric for chairs, bench, etc - I love blue and definitely want to include some green to tie in the walls - but might have to nix the blue depending on the countertops

* Hardware - either silver cup bin pulls with glass knobs or silver orb knobs

* Faucet - love the curvy victorian style faucet, but they only come with side sprays...still debating

* Appliances - most likely stainless steel

Okay, so, onto the countertop contenders. We're on a strict budget (up to $30 sq ft) which leaves us with the following options:

1) Butcher Block (probably from Ikea) - very cottagy, not sure which kind/color wood (Ikea has a light yellow birch, a beech with a pinkish hue and a darker brown oak), concerned about germs, mold, stains, and about it being too much wood with the wood floors, and not sure if it is elegant

2) Black DIY Concrete (DH is SUPER excited to tackle this for a soapstone like look - he would make a simple matte black counter without the white veining), however I'm nervous about how it will turn out, and about how it will wear, and I'm not sure if the black fits well with the green walls, however, it is very cottagy and elegant

3) Santa Cecilia Light Granite - I'm not sure if I can find it for $30 a sq, we got it for $35 a square in our last house, but that was a few years back. The green in our slab matched the Fernwood Green wall color, and for some reason, the granite reminded me of chocolate chip cookie dough, lol, which I liked. But granite isn't particularly cottagy, we already did this look with the Fernwood Green walls (we renovated our last kitchen for sale), and again - not sure if the budget will allow for it.

Thanks for your help! :)

Comments (16)