SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Counter granite/wood decision: ripping my hair out! Help!?! (pics

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Argh!! I though I'd have a working kitchen by now... but we're still roughing in plumbing and can't seem to make the countertop decision. Can you guys with fabulous taste please give us some advice?

Kitchen is natural cherry shaker cabinets. It is in the center of the house, so although there are windows in all the adjascent rooms, none in the kitchen itself. We are installing a Solatube but it's not in yet. In any case, I MUCH MUCH prefer a lighter, brighter kitchen. We completely nixed the idea of dark counters for that reason, although I think they look nice in other people's homes and with different cabinetry.

We're going for a warm, organic, but cheerful feeling. Resale is KEY (3-year house for us). The kitchen also has an existing BRICK wall with fireplace opposite, and will have a slate tiled wall portion behind the woodstove in adjascent living room (where you can see the brick in the photos below).

When I was looking at granites 2 weeks ago, I found I really liked Costa Esmerelda, Ocean Green, even Costa Esmerelda Rose (though a bit too pink). I like the marble-like, natural, quiet movement I guess. BUT getting these stones in the kitchen, they seem too dark. So I think we are leaning towards HONED kashmir White.

The island top is the big conundrum. It will be wood plank: we want it to read more as a table surface than butcherblock. It is 5.5 x 4 feet, so really pretty huge in the space. We don't want to to be visually too big.

Light wood or dark? Consider that the cherry cabinets will darken considerably over the next 6 months.

(Please excuse the rough photoshop job. No appliances are actually in or anything!)

Cherry on cherry seems too boring and like a massive cube of material.

Walnut is gorgeous, love it, like that it is North American (greener).... but does it go with cherry? And will it just be too DARK DARK DARK? Make the room seem too dark, and make the island seem more massive? This photo makes it look lighter and warmer than I think it would be in real life. I think it would read quite a bit darker in the space...

Rock Maple originally seemed too predictable and ho-hum.... but now we're very seriously considering it because it seems to make the room so much cherrier & brighter.

{{!gwi}}

Iroko is hard to judge since colors vary so much. We'd love the look of teak, we think, and this was proposed as a teak substitute. (Cannot afford real teak!) But it's not at all green, being an exotic from I think Africa or South America.

{{!gwi}}

Backsplash will be tile, something light like glass tile or maybe tumbled marble or something....

Please! Input! ADvice!!

Thanks

Stacey

Comments (54)

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks!

I guess I should have clarified a bit (re: hk's comments). The cabinets are natural-finish cherry, so: no stain. The wood countertop will be finished in satin-finish Waterlox.

Keep the comments coming! Very helpful!

• User
    14 years ago

stacey, I don't have any input to offer on the cabinets, but you did say this is only a 3 year house for you and resale is important, so what I want to point out is that in most parts of the country it is likely that you will only see a minimal return if any on most of the updates you are doing with kitchen, even in 3 years time. With that in mind, I wouldn't go with a really expensive granite that leans more toward your own personal tastes. I would go with something more generic, in a much lower price range. If you put a shout out to the granite pros, Kevin, James, Granite Girl just to name a few, they can help point you in the right direction. Also, before investing too much more cash into the home, I would consult with a local realtor to find out what he/she feels the market may be doing in 3 years and what they recommend you do to prepare. They know your market best and can help you make the most profitable choices.

• Related Discussions

Granite counter top color help

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi. I'm getting a new granite countertop myself--it will be installed on Tuesday! So I have been doing lots and lots of looking at granite-- both in person (went to lots of warehouses) and in magazines. The trend is definitely toward lighter stone countertops, judging by what I see in the the magazines. (Carrera marble is also getting more popular in those designer kitchens, for some inexplicable reason. Marble is not practical in a kitchen, so many people are trying to imitate that look with certain granites, like white river. ) This trend toward lighter granite was verified by several granite sales people at the warehouses and fabricators I spoke with. Of course, this may be a regional thing. I live in Maryland, near D.C. , where everyone and his brother, it seems, is getting granite! Have you thought about checking out a lighter stone, like a cream or white? (such as Bianco romano, white shivakashi, Colonial Cream, white river, among others.)I am getting Harvest Cream, which is similiar to Colonial cream. It has a white or off-white background with lots of golden accents that pick up the color of my cabinets, and grey/black and taupe accents and a light sprinkling of garnet(burgandy) in there too. My cabinets are honey-spice maple (installed 10 years ago with a formica countertop). We did some minor remodeling that called for a new countertop--so I was so glad I didn't spend the big bucks for the corian that was so popular back then, and that I had an excuse to now get granite! I'm not sure how dark your "autumn" cabinets are, but you should try to have some contrast. If your cabinets are dark or medium dark, I think that a very light granite would provide a great contrast with your cabinets and darker floor, but that is just my personal opinion. Are you going for a traditional or contemporary look? Black tends to look "modern". If you do want a very dark countertop, I would think that a very dark brown would look better than black with your mocha floors(which I assume is a very dark brown.) You probably already have thought of this, but when you go to the granite warehouses to select your slab, bring a cabinet door and piece of your flooring to see how it all looks together. Another thing to consider is what you want on your backsplash. If you want a very "busy" stone or tile, then you should select a granite that would not look too busy, so the darker colors would work well for that, usually. I am going to go with a tumbled white travertine backsplash. If I went with anything busier, it would "fight" with my granite. Hope this helps. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Help..... ran short on granite for the counter tops.....

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The pictures really help. The White Taupe is so close! I had never heard of it, thank you. I only need a piece that is 50" x 50"! I think if I can't find a close enough match, I will have to have either a different material or interesting multilevel cabinet design. It is not a single run, it is a stand alone area next to the kitchen.
    ...See More

Counter top help for this cookie cutter kitchen..(pics)

Q

Comments (15)
    Yea, the counters aren't in bad shape at all. Except there's some water damage around that wood trim. Which is also the part I hate the most. That trim! And with wanting to paint the cabs white, I can't leave that and I don't like the look of that part painted, either. You know how you walk in the room, and something just stands out and as eye sore, making you not like the entire room. That's what these counters do for me. I really wouldn't mind the kitchen at all, if it weren't for those. Heck..I'd probably not even paint the cabs, (a whole other fear there). But, the green with the red paint kills me. If we don't get them done in the next six months, we're painting the kitchen again. Just to get rid of the red and green. It's funny, one of the reasons we bought this house a yr ago over some of the others, was because of the counters. I was so sick of seeing the same granite everywhere, this was a nice change. I think if I could go to a granite yard, pick out a beautiful slab I'd consider doing granite. But, I'm really just tired of seeing it in every single house I go to. High end homes, to middle of the road ones like mine. I have no choice but to do something cheaper, from a box store. And I just can't see doing the thin, little granite slabs all the builders and flippers do around here.
    ...See More

Help! Not sure if I want dark granite counter tops

Q

Comments (24)
    There can be two reasons you're not receiving the emails: You didn't check the "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." box when you created/started the post You don't have the email option turned on in your profile. To turn the email option on: Go to "Your Profile" (see top of page, above GardenWeb banner) You will have to log in again Check to be sure the email address entered is the correct one Scroll down to bottom to shaded area. Check the box that says...Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. Click the "Save Your Member Profile" button You're done! I don't know if it's retroactive for current posts, but all future posts should have replies emailed to you....assuming you checked the "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." box when you create a new post.
    ...See More
  • idrive65
    14 years ago

Honestly, I think it's too much and too many species of wood in that size kitchen, and if resale is a goal I'd put the Costa Esmerelda everywhere and be done with it.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I agree with idrive65, in that there is already enough wood... I don't know the granite colors well... I would do something light for sure, and it could go on all of the surfaces.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny to compare the two last posts... use the cheapest granite, then use (one of) the most expensive granite!

We're being very careful about the investment and have put a lot of time an effort into researching the market, so please don't worry about that.

And also, when I say it's a 3-year house, that is in an ideal world. We would like to take another long sailing trip before our daughter is in college, but the economy and the real estate market will completely dictate whether that actually happeny or not. So, I MAY be here longer. It's not just a real-estate-flip situation: we moved here mostly because we love living here. And, since we are mostly DIY, we're putting an amazing amount of sweat equity into the house. It would just be a total bummer to be killing ourselves doing all this work, and then put shiny cheap ubiquitous builder granite that I would hate living with. (I really don't personally like a lot of shiny granite, and felt that having the huge island all granite would just be too *cold* feeling for my tastes.) It's tough, but we're trying to balance what WE like and want to live with ... with what will be beneficial for resale.

My DH and I were just talking about this the other day. The odds of the buyer deciding they want to redo the kitchen are fairly high, given that kitchen tastes and desires can be so personal. BUT what we are striving for is that the kitchen aesthetic reinforces and complements the other work we're doing on the house. So that the whole house "feels" unified and intentional. DOes that make sense? It's a 50's ranch and we're using the "bones" -the one-story, linear, deep eave overhangs, etc- as the backbone for the renovation. We're doing natural shingles outside, a very inside-outside experience with lots of windows to the huge yard, natural materials like slate in the mudroom, warm wood.. a sort of transitional craftsman/cottage aesthetic. Very appropriate (we think) for the location: coastal Maine. Hence the natural cherry cabinets and softer, honed granite... and wood island top.

• wallycat
    14 years ago

I have to agree with the posters that said ...remember that this is only a 3 year house. I'd keep it simple and as inexpensive as you can.
    Most people buying a house are not going to love what you love anyway....don't kill yourself over this decision.
    For example, I don't like granite. If I found a dream home, depending on cost, granite may be a deal breaker unless easily removable.
    Laminate is being made so well these days that you can have it look like must about anything.

• hk_san_diego
    14 years ago

Maybe the photos on this link can help with your ideas ,and stop pullin that hair .

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood kitchens

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I agree that it's too much wood with a wood top on the island. I also think that the granite in your photos is much too light-colored ... it almost blends into your cabinets. Floors, cabinets, and countertops all the same light color ... no contrast. I realize that you want a light, bright kitchen, but in my opinion, the white granite isn't a good choice with your cabinets and floors.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm... well the cherry is going to get quite a bit darker in a few months. I have a sample piece and it's many shades darker...

• User
    14 years ago

Stacey, in a better market and/or even in your market it may make sense, as I said, a realtor who's familiar with your neighborhood would best be able to tell you that. It was obvious (to me anyways) that this is not a flip situation, but more just someone doing upgrades w/an eventual resale in the back of their minds. You asked for advise, and that's what myself as well as the other posters took the time to provide you. I also did not say get the "cheapest" granite, funny how my wording got changed in the translation. Let me be more specific. The granite you are considering is very taste specific and when you have resale in the plan, it makes better sense to use a granite that is more appealing to the masses and yes, less expensive than one of the priciest granites available. Either way, I can almost guarantee that from the way you describe your house vs the improvements you're making you are probably over improving it. And, I'm pretty sure Maine is experiencing the same real estate down turn as most other places in the country and it will be difficult at best to see any kind of return on your investment DIY or not. This may not be the responses you were looking for, but that's what came to mind when I read your post.

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

I agree with some other posters that with a strong wood like cherry in all your cabinets, a wood island might be too much. But I have a cherry island, and a walnut peninsula, and I like it a lot. Picture below.

I think that if you are going to have two different woods, they have to be very different, so I would probably go with something dark like walnut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood counters

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Seems you love the wood and feel that it suits your vision of your home in costal Maine. It took me awhile to sort out all of the factors to consider when choosing my cabinets...wood or painted. Part of the decision is simply preference. I want more than anything for my kitchen to be light, so given the space I have, I choose painted. I have a picture I took of a sail boat I saw off the coast of Maine. It was fairly close up and the interior was like a cherry wood and the steering wheel a darker wood...wish I knew how to send it. I think the contrast with a darker wood, like the walnut or a cherry with a med to dark stain would work the best. Good luck!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

M first thought after reading you wanted light was Kashmir White. It happens to be one of my favorites, so I can like that choice. My first thought on reading you want wood on the island and want it to look furniture/table was cherry on cherry. (The grains will be running differently, so won't look exactly the same.) I understand that you might think it's too much to have the same exact tones, so what about Brazilian cherry on the cherry? Not light, but you already have light perimeters, and it would look very rich. The lighter direction/option to go with the same idea of having the same color tones but a couple shades apart would be fir. But I don't know if you'd want something soft. It's what we have on our island and it does dent...But we like it and it's one of those things that's not bad if you're expecting it.

• chachashea
    14 years ago

I like the maple best, but I would look for a granite that provides a little more contrast. In your photoshopped version, the granite and maple counters seem to be a very similar shade. It is more expensive, but would an endgrain countertop provide more interest? Is there an inexpensive marble(an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp) that might work in your space--light in color and might contrast nicely with your cabinets.

Your cabinets are looking great, btw.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks...

This decision really has me in tears now..... I'm just at the end of my rope.

The cherry cabs decision was DH's, early on before we even bought the house he said he wanted them. I liked them fine, and the realtor we consulted confirmed they were an excellent choice for our market so I went along with it.... but without thinking through what would go with them. I just figured we'd choose the wood and granite when the cabs were installed. But now I see that cherry has limited options. And we don't want black...

I've uploaded some more pics if this helps. Pics of the cabinet door (with the smaller DARKENED cherry that they will age to) and the Kashmir White granite. And pics of the door with walnut. (We'd have them cut out the lighter stripes if we chose walnut. it would be uniform and all the darker stuff.)

chachashea What I personally really wanted was marble!! But for the resale issue, we felt that marble was a little too idiosyncratic. It'll look worn and be stained in 3 years and some people might hate that. And hate the upkeep/vulnerability aspect of marble. Don't you think? Anyway, honed kashmir white granite was my next-best approximation of marble. Honed, it's more uniform than polished. The speckles dissappear a bit.

As far as the market, lukkiirish, please don't worry about that. We are actually probably under-improving, if anything, because we don't have the budget for more. We bought the house at a fire-sale price and it is in an area of old, established mansions and high-end homes. We're putting maybe $70k into it, and the realtor we consulted said she thought over twice that was an appropriate amount. She also said we pretty much NEED ss appliances, granite, solid wood doors, and a pro-style gas range is desireable. It's a small house but a pretty high-end market. Believe me---- if we'd bought the other house we were considering, about 5 miles inland in the country, I'd have done corian and Ikea cabinets in a heartbeat and been totally fine with it! But again- resale is only part of the consideration... I also want to at least "like" it, if not love it, since we might end up living here longer than expected.

If we do the island top in the same granite, it costs us $1500 more (about $2200). That is a LOT right now. Walnut top is $600. Maple top is $525.

I really want to cry. What does this have to be so hard???

• wallycat
    14 years ago

Here are some other thoughts then...
    walnut has a richer look, but if it isn't sealed, rare cases of allergic reaction.
    Maple is traditional as butcher-block-type counters....

does this help?

If DH finally gets going on our building, I hope to get walnut on the island, but I plan to waterlox it..
    at the rate he is going, maybe walnut won't exist, hahahahaha

• sue36
    14 years ago

Your cabinets are not going to stay that color, so I would consider that. Natural cherry will change color significantly. I have stained cherry (the color your cabinets will be in a few years) and Coast Green granite, which was $80 a sf at the time but is probably more now. I also have white oak floors. I still don't have a top on my island because of the cost. I can't do granite because my island is so big (over 3x8) so I am doing walnut. But the walnut is MUCH more expensive than the granite, close to twice as much.

I would go with a light to mid shade green granite, it will look lovely. I wouldn't do the CE, too expensive to justify when you are selling so quickly. I think the would counter might put off some buyers due to the perceived maitenance issues.

• nesting12
    14 years ago

Hmmm--- I see what you mean. Somehow things aren't going together. This whole kitchen process IS hard! I absolutely sympathize.

I like the stainless with the cherry-- that is working great. Nothing else is really fitting yet. I think you'll know it when it does. That granite just doesn't bring out the beauty of the cabinets, which are so gorgeous. They just look sort of grey and almost mauve-y. There must be a light granite you could love that works better-- maybe one of the more golden ones? you can take the finish off any granite and make it honed. I agree with you- I don't like the super-shiny stuff, either. But the cheaper ones can be honed, too, and don't look so spec-house builder quality.

If it were me, I would put a honed darker granite on the perimeters, and then something light on the island. I know you want light everywhere, and I see why, but something darker brings out the wood and stainless steel. I don't think the kitchen will be as dark as you worry.

But the first step is to take those cherry doors and put them against a bunch of granites and find something else. I think! I hope this is helpful? I think it's tough to figure out what goes with the cabinets and granite when the cabinets and granite themselves don't go, if that makes sense?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks-

I do know the cherry will darken... than small slab in the pics is a piece of the aged cherry with same finish. I have been using both the small dark piece and the actual door when looking at materials.

I brought both pieces to three granite warehouses in Massachusetts a couple weeks ago--- a day-long marathon of looking at stone. Nothing (save some marbles!) popped out as "the one"......
    but here are som pics of ones that were OK enough to photograph. Nonetheless, we really can't afford the extra $1500 to do the island in granite, even if we wanted to, so the wood decision there is still an issue..... These are all quite a bit pricier than the Kashmir White!!

costa esmerelda rose- but I don't love the peachy-pink areas:

Costa Esmerelda:

We also considered Ocean Green honed, but felt it was just too dark!!

And then this one, which was marked, "Vermont White" and I KNEW it was marble, but asked the rep at Leamar just the same. The guy had only been on the job a few weeks and he said, Oh, no, that's a granite!" and I jumped up and down going, "This is the one! I like the organic movement, and if it's from Vermont it's local which is important to me!" even though I knew he was wrong..... asked his boss who scoffed and said, of course it was marble. Major bummer.

Here are a couple of pics of kitchens with cherry-ish cabs and wood islands:

with similar stone and walnut:
    {{!gwi}}

with maple:

• nesting12
    14 years ago

It definitely seems that painting the walls a yellow/golden and/or tan color is going to be key. I like the tone of the counters in the first pic with the cherry, but it doesn't seem to be granite.

What about santa cecilia or new venetian gold? They can be very light if you pick the right slab, and I assume they could be honed. Then the honey color of the maple would go really well, I think.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

I agree with the "too much wood" mantra - the floors, the cabinets and then the top. If a wood top is really what you want, I'd borrow a note from rhome's post and celebrate the too-much-wood-ness: have it made to marry the cherry of the cabinets (but then the same cherry - not a different one. Go a different cherry and you may as well keep going to different woods) and whatever that is on the floor (oak? maple?) with some inlay/feature or something.

I also agree that the Kashmir White, while a lovely stone, doesn't work with your cabinets. It just doesn't fit. The Costa Esmerelda looks lovely with teh cabs - and I don't see peach or pink but rather a lovely creamy tan. The marble is also absolutely gorgeous - so what's wrong with marble? It'll be lovely.

That said, I would use the same stone in the island as you do on the perimeters. Unless you pick a solid black granite, in the 2foot wide segments that constitute perimeter cabinets with frequent cut-outs for sinks and stoves etc. it is hard to get a good sense of the features of the stone. The best place to showcase the stone is in the island where there is the geometry to capture chunks of th rock rather than the silvers that are the perimeters.

Good luck.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

I agree with the posters you can have to much wood. It is your kit and you have to do what you love but I just wanted to say the Ocean Green honed is stunning with your cabinets.

• hk_san_diego
    14 years ago

I like the carmel-black-white granites ,,, even patterns .The photo looks too yellow , compared to actual .

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Stacey,
    I have to agree with the other posters that it is a lot of wood in your kitchen, but if your heart is set on wood, check out http://www.atlantichardwoods.com/ in Portland, Maine. We got our hutch walnut countertop from them and finished it with waterlox. We love it. Their prices are unbeatable!

Also, check out http://www.affordablegranitenh.com/ in Northwood, NH. They have a nice selection of less expensive granite (no exotics) and the fabrication is included. Personally, I think the kashmir white looks too gray with your cabinets. I would avoid gray tones with your cherry. Perhaps you could consider Giallo Ornamental, or New Venetian Gold or Santa Cecelia. They look so lovely with cherry cabs and are in a better price point than the Costa Esmerelda. They would tie your cabinets and island wood countertop together well and keep your kitchen nice and bright and give the broadest appeal to resale if you do sell in a few years.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks--

pluckymama, Atlantic Hardwoods is making our island top. My husband deals with them for his job all the time and they've been great. And waterlox is the plan, too.

I did look at all the granites you mentioned and none of them appeal to me, unfortunately..... What I really want is marble-- so the granites I like approximate that look (that's why I like the Costa Esmerelda and CE Rose I think, as well as the Ocean Green which is more marble-y or soapstone-y).

I am currently flirting with the idea of actually doing marble, but I really fear that it will not be good for resale in 3 years or whatever.... that it will look worn and that folks will be scared of the upkeep.

The rest of my family, and all our friends I have asked for opinions, all say that the dark counters (I have a slab of honed jet mist here) are too dark in the actual room :(

Argh. Why does this have to be sooooo difficult?!?!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I can't really believe that marble will look 'worn' or be a detriment when selling, especially in just a few years. Many non-TKO buyers will just consider it 'stone' and the TKO will love it. Anyone who appreciates the long-standing use of marble in kitchens will love it. You will seal it and care for it lovingly and it'll look fabulous and show great to buyers. JMHO.

I'm still with my original thought, confirmed further by Mindstorm's comments, that a cherry top to make a grand gorgeous cherry statement would be my first choice. I believe it would look like a piece of furniture and be appropriate to the style of your home. I can see such an island in my head, but can't find an example to show you. Instead the best I can do is link a photo of one of the kitchen that inspired my island design...Wood floors, wood cabinets, lots of wood trim, and, while not wood counters, a color that is very close. It won't necessarily change your mind or your personal preferences, but I think it's a great example of 'more wood than most of us would choose' that makes a gorgeous and warm room. I don't usually post inspiration photos I've saved, because of copyright issues, so I must give credit to This Old House Magazine, where I saw this.

Maybe it won't help and maybe you'll hate it. But I'm sad that you are having such a time when I think you're well on the way to a very gorgeous space. Cherry is beautiful and whatever you decide will be fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, rhome410, for your kind words!!!!

I can't believe I am obsessing so much over this.... but it seems so important, on the other hand.

Thanks for the inspiration pic. I was just looking at photos today and found some others that use lots of wood for a warm, organic feeling. Here's one that is actually from someone else's inspiration pics. I believe mamadadapaige's... hope she won't mind my reposting it:

and some I found. This next one is actually very, very close to the feeling I want, except I would rather have light-colored counters. but: honed, and natural/raw-looking, not polished. But I love the overall feeling here. They have an inset piece of madrone butcher block to the right of the range...

and another one with the woods combo:
    {{!gwi}}

rhome410, is your island top cherry?

• katienic
    14 years ago

Personally, I think a beautiful wood top on your island would not be too much wood at all, and would give you that light, yet warm organic look you are working toward.

I also think it is classic. Too much granite, or marble can actually spoil that intimate feel. Use other elements in the backsplash, paint & accessories to add the punch of color & change in texture you may want and you've got yourself one gorgeous kitchen that will be great for resale, but you won't want to leave behind!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Have you considered that if you're doing a different top on the island then maybe a different finish on the island would make it look like a free standing piece and I think the wood would look great. You could paint it a soft taupey gray, distressed black, stain it an espresso color and a wood top with either of those would look beautiful and really make the island stand out.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha, ha, ha..... I know you are serious but DH would KILL me if I suggested messing with the brand-new expensive natural cherry cabinets!!!!! (Although, yeah, I could keep it in the back of my mind if it really bothered me in the future. I DID consider doing a painted island before we placed our order but DH vetoed it then....)

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Staceyneil,

Here is my thought. I think you already know what you
    really want. Wood on your island, that is warm and will
    compliment the other woods in your kitchen.
    Your inspiration pics and your photo shop pics all show
    what make you happy.

Go for wood.
    It might not suit everyone. Your resale concerns are what
    is slowing you down. Let it go. Wood is not going to be as
    popular but if it is what you like buy it.
    In 3 years if priced fairly, your home will sell even in a
    slow market. And as for the outside counters
    I vote for the Ocean Green Honed. It might look dark
    at the slab store but once you have it in your
    kitchen it will look beautiful with all your woods.

Now, If this home is purely an investment then you should
    follow Lukkiirish about meeting with a realtor.
    In some markets it can take 3 years to sell a house.

But back to my thought on what you really want.
    Your anxiety is causing you to second guess what you
    really want. Don't do this to yourself. Your kitchen is
    already looking wonderful. You have made some super
    design choices that look beautiful.
    Bottom line is that you are making a place where you and
    your husband can cook, eat and enjoy each other's company.

I can't wait to see your finished pictures.
    ~boxerpups

• phoggie
    14 years ago

stacey~~
    I feel your pain....and I am not good at making decisions either...especially when you have "resale" in your mind.
    I do have cherry cabinets....with a pecan stain....and I don't think they have darkened hardly at all...still beautiful. I did have marble....but hated it!!! It must have not been sealed properly because it etched terribly...and when I called the "tile guy", he said, "Anyone knows that marble is not a good idea for kitchens for this very reason".......so if it makes you feel better, I'd shy away from marble. I put in a very modest granite (don't know the name, but it has dk.brown, gold, creme, and black in it....not much of a pattern because I do not like too much "movement". I did put in white appliances (because I don't care for SS or black) and used ORB faucet, lights, and knobs. I think it looks good....when ORB goes out of style, that stuff is replaced easily. I have oak floors, also with the pecan stain...but anymore wood would be "too much"...my walls are painted a medium sage. I do have a skylight that lets in a lot of light and two windows and it is not dark at all. I wish I could post pics, but wish you well in your decision.

• phoggie
    14 years ago

stacey~~
    You might want to look at Jenswrens kitchen thread the "Finished-Beaded Insert Cherry Kitchen" for some color
    ideas...she has a med. cherry color (it looks like) and SS appliances with wood flooring.....looks good.

• nesting12
    14 years ago

Some of your inspiration photos have caesarstone (or what looks like caesarstone) countertops. With a white or cream quartz counter you could get the marble look you are wanting, without the expense and upkeep of marble. Also, in a smaller space like that it would look calming to have the smoothness of quartz. I think that's what makes the inspiration kitchens work so well. Oh-- and with quartz you could choose your shade of white/cream to go perfectly with everything else, instead of having to find just the right granite. A warm cream or white would look beautiful in that space.

Take a look at the finished kitchens blog and put "caesarstone" in the search bar. Lots of folks there have wood cabinets and light caesarstone and it does look great and calming. AND-- I hear quartz is going to be more and more popular in the future, including for resale.

• bellcrest
    14 years ago

Ceaserstone is one brand name for Quartz. Silestone is another. There are a few more lesser known brand names.

We just had silestone quartz countertops installed last week and are extrememly happy with our choice. I just love it. There are so many colour choices and you don't have to go to all the granite yards looking because the samples are pretty much what you get.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our nearly finished kitchen

• holligator
    14 years ago

Stacey, I mostly just wanted to tell you that I know how you feel. Some of the final decisions are the hardest, both because you're under the gun time-wise and because they have to gel with all the other decisions you already made. I went through the same thing choosing my flooring.

Now, a couple of comments to try to help you with your choices. I think the main thing you need that seems to be just out of reach so far is balance. You have lots and lots of "warm" in your kitchen right now (which, by the way, is coming along beautifully!!). I think you need some "cool" to balance it out. I know you were drawn to soapstone at one time and, although I know it won't work for you because it's too dark, think about what drew you to it. It contrasts significantly with your cabinets and brings "cool" to the space. It also breaks up the huge expanse of wood.

So, how can you achieve the same things with something lighter? I think the light gray examples you have above (marble and granite) do a nice job, as does the green, although you feel it's too dark. These choices accomplish what your stainless appliances do, breaking up the wood and cooling the space down a bit. The reason folks didn't like the creamier granite is because it keeps adding warmth--too much warmth--and doesn't provide the contrast.

The walnut, likewise, brings in so much more warmth that it makes it darn near overwhelming. It's also very, very dark, which you wanted to avoid!

So, you want wood on the island. Which wood could accomplish what you're looking for there? That is, keeping it warm and homey, but also keeping it from being too dark and providing the balance that you need.

Of the ideas you and others have posted, only a few work for me. The light maple provides balance and the cherry to match the cabinets provides the homey-ness. So, it boils down to picking two surfaces that will go together and provide the compliments needed.

I think that either the greener granite perimeter with the maple island OR the grayer granite perimeter with the cherry island would look good. Still, I'd keep considering going with granite on all your surfaces, if you can find one that's affordable.

One last point...most of the inspiration pics you posted (at least the ones I liked) did not have wood floors. I think that is the element that is throwing your counter choices into a tailspin. Lots of things look beautiful with natural cherry cabinets, but only a few look good when you also have oak floors. That's the difference in your situation.

Good luck in the home stretch--I can't wait to see your finished pics! :)

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks folks!!!

holligator- in a lot of the posts it seemed people were saying that my granite (kashmir white) was actually too grey, not warm enough (they were steering me towards more caramel/gold granites, I thought!). So--- a lot of conflicting advice.

But the one thing that is true is that it's just not all coming together right, yet.

We've pretty much decided that the maple island top is the way to go. I found some larger pieces of like-colored wood and we've been looking at it for a few days. The cherry is also starting to darken already, which helps. But the walnut is definitely way too dark. I'll put a cabinet door on there and consider cherry again....

I also called to request quotes for marble, probably cararra as it's cheaper. I know I love the feeling of it, so am flirting with it at the moment. I'm just worried it will look too lived in (which I personally would LIKE) if we needed to sell the house in 3 years. And that buyers might be scared of the maintenance... But this is a higher-end market so I don't know. I just called a local realtor and he said, "Well, the builders in your market are almost all using granite. I haven't really seen too much marble so I don't know. But if you keep it nice it should be fine." But "keep it nice".. does that mean pristine? With a DD and not-too-neat DH, I am certain it would not stay pristine very long.

The KD where we got our cabinets said, "If you want to work on your counters without worrying about stains and scratches, I would stick to granite!! Marble is soft, it etches, etc..." That doesn't sound too promising.

Sigh. So confused.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

how about blanco romano? I think that's the granite name. i've seen that on a number of kitchen counters (here I think) and it's light but I think would pick up the wood color of the cherry.

I don't know where it lands by price tho.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks desertsteph... bianco romano is almost identical to the Kashmir White I chose. Around here, the kashmir tends to be a little less speckled-y, but essentially the same colors.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

hi Stacey,

I'm just tuning in late, but wanted to offer a neighborly hi & support from Maine (I'm in Portland, about 5 blocks away from Atlantic Hardwoods, come to think of it).

Honestly, I love the stainless steel idea, but perhaps that's because I've been so very happy with my copper counters. I love how the stainless would look with your appliances and with the cherry. Bad photoshop:

Since you're DIY, I might urge you to consider using copper or zinc. (I can give a bunch of great links for making your own for pennies. A copper top for that island would run you about $800 DIY.) I really like the idea of the different texture in there, perhaps? And the copper is so warm and tactile, unlike new stainless.

But you love wood, and rightfully so. Sounds to me like you're totally on top of the cherry darkening issue and very adequately taking that into account.

My kitchen is arguably "too warm" in tone, and the cabs are about 15 years old and quite darkened, but here's a quick shot to check out the yellow paint idea with the cherry cabs and wooden floors:

~~> Also: it's probably gone by now, but a few weeks ago, Alice over at Portland Architectural Salvage had some nice large pieces of soapstone and granite you could check out. Maybe you could luck out with a great find like that?

• holligator
    14 years ago

Stacey, I was referring to the counter near the sink in your photoshopped pics near the top. That, to me anyway, is far too creamy and "warm" for your space. I think the kashmir white looks great and achieves the right contrast you need, while coordinating nicely with your SS appliances. I would love to see it all (including the island) in that granite--and I'm not even a big granite fan.

If you're going with the maple island, however, I would urge you to reconsider the Costa Esmerelda granite above. That combination, along with a cool, off-white backsplash, could be stunning. As long as your backsplash is light, I don't think the green would seem too dark at all.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

stacey, I totally sympathize! It took me forever to make up my mind about countertops. My island sat for 2 months with no top at all because I wanted to make sure I made the right decision.

I agree with holligator that most of your inspiration pics don't have both wood floors and wood counters. For example, in the inspiration photo you said was from mamadadapaige, the white tile floor supplies the contrast. They've also broken up all the wood with a very dark countertop on the perimeter.

If you're looking for a top that will still look new in 3 years, I'm wondering if wood is the right choice. Wood is softer than stone and scratches and dings more easily. I have a wood top on my hutch that is stained to match my island. It has lots of scratches on it already. It's only been in for 4 months and I've had to use the touch-up kit numerous times; consequently, it requires much greater care and maintenance than my marble.

I'm not going to push marble on you because I actually think the Costa Esmerelda provides just the right amount of contrast and would be the smartest choice for resale. However, if you're considering marble, you won't have any stains if you seal it a couple times a year. I'm not sure what type of marble appeals to you, but Carrera, for example, is much, much cheaper than any Silestone/Caesarstone and many granites. Perhaps you can ask people who have had marble for 3 years or more to post photos or share their experiences with wear and tear.

And here's a photo I found on the Crown Point website with light counters and what looks like a wood top on the island. The wood top matches the floor while the island is darker. I like how they injected color with the backsplash, which along with the contrasting white of the trim and hood keeps this kitchen from being too monochromatic and ho-hum.

{{!gwi}}

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

Wow that's a lot of people trying to help out. What a great country we live in. I could give you all kinds of suggestions, but by the time I got to the end of all of this, you've decided on your wood choice and everybody else has suggested some of the usual granites ...
    Have you tried Kashmir Gold ? It's about the same price as Kashmir White with same patterning but it's a warmer gold color.
    I sure don't envy you, & I hate that it brings you to tears.
    Good Luck :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I've already had may say on the wood, but I still like the Kashmir White, too. I don't think that the stone counter has to 'connect' to the wood in every situation, if by connect, people are saying they have to have some of the same color. I have light gray laminate (and stainless) countertops on my fir and burgundy cabinets. If you were planning the more classically colored marble, for instance (the types with whitish, gray, and maybe a little tan), it's likely that no one would argue, just ooh and ahh. The Kashmir White offers the same colors. I hadn't thought about it, but it was likely the cooler impression it would give that I liked, because one thing I don't like about the kitchen I linked for you is that it's all warm colors, and I think it would have been improved with your choice of white counter on the perimeters.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, you guys are great to put so much thought into this!!

Yes, I originally picked the Kashmir White because (of granites) it gave the closest feeling to the marble I really wanted. And, yes, Cararra is the marble I'm looking at- its a couple hundred dollars less than the Kashmir White honed.

On the wood upkeep- I am pretty fine with that. DH works at a boatyard so sand/refinish is very easy for us. We assumed we'd be doing that (sand/refinish) before putting the house on the market.

I stopped at another stone place today and have an appointment tomorrow. They seemed to have a much better selection than most places, and lots of marble, so I will see what they have to say.

Right now here's where I am at (although likely to change an hour from now, ugh!):

ISLAND:
    maple plank (rhome, I tried the cherry, really I did, but it just looks so monochromatic! I think I need to see contrast there....)
    PERIMETER:
    kashmir white honed
    OR
    honed cararra marble
    OR
    honed Ocean Green (darker) or honed Costa Esmerelda

The Costa is by far the priciest, at $1200 more than the marble (cheapest)... so that's definitely a consideration. I could replace the dumb hollow-core doors throughout the house with that money!!!!

circuspeanut- Hi neighbor! Your kitchen looks great with the copper counters.... but our space I think is much too small and open to the rest of the house to bear them well.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I like the maple, too. :-) My 2nd choice of what you were considering, especially because it offers the lightness you want. The perimeter choices, I think, are a no-lose situation. Let's see...Do you choose, beautiful, beautiful, or beautiful? :-)

A suggestion of what worked for me on deciding between 2 color schemes for my kitchen: Sit quietly, take a deep breath, clear your mind, then try to imagine walking into the kitchen in the morning, seeing each of those on the counters. Which is more the impact you want to see? Imagine it at night, all cleaned up, and also in the midst of your favorite cooking or baking project. Think of what you'll be looking at as you prepare a meal. I think that even if the exact stone doesn't show itself with this exercise, that your preference for light or dark, and greenish or whitish will become more obvious.

Best wishes.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh dear Staceyneil,

I realzie that the photo shop pics were of granite on the outside counters not wood. I skimmed by them so fast,
    focusing on your words more. I hope I did not come across as unsupportive. I can see this is painfully difficult. I can only imagine you must be very upset and overwhelmed over the choices. I think your kitchen is coming along really nicely. I hope that whatever you choose makes you
    happy.

~boxerpups

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem! You guys have really been great. What would I do without you?!?

OK... rhome410 is going to laugh and she has every right to say, "Told you so!"..... right now- in the evening light- walking into the kitchen and visualizing it all.... I am seeing white marble honed counters and a CHERRY island top. It feels pretty right to me!

We will see what DH says when he comes home. (I know he will like the marble idea. Yesterday he came home from a really hard day at work and surprised the heck out of me by saying, first thing, "what about marble counters?" Not only that he suggested something we hadn't discussed before, but that he actually initiated a conversation about it!!

Even 12 yo DD, who normally scoffs at anything I show her hat isn't very sleek, mod, and Euro (like the kitchen she grew up in) thinks marble sounds great. I picked up some cheap marble tile at HD just to help visualize, and found a dirty old chunk of cararra that was outside in the yard, and she likes the combo.

Anyway- I was reading some threads here and I read that you can get marble re-honed in place!! If that is true, it would certainly alleviate much of our concern about resale. If we can refinish the wood top and rehone the counters for less than $500 before putting the house on the market.... what's to lose? (And $1200 to be saved choosing marble vs a darker granite!) I will check tomorrow that this rehoning is available up here. And then, if DH agrees, I guess I am driving to Boston to look at slabs again this week!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Guess what? I just found my original, original, way-back-when inspiration pic. Guess what's on the counters? Marble.

I went to a local fabricator today and talked to him about it for a long time. I think we might go for it: honed cararra on the perimeter, and cherry plank on the island (and on the pantry/desk area.)

We will all just have to become a little neater in the kitchen and wipe up spills right away instead of the next morning......

inspiration kitchen from colection started soon after we moved in:

• repaintingagain
    14 years ago

Oh I completely emphasize with what you are going through! We are going through the same thing. I love your inspiration picture and wish we had nice light cherry cabinets. We moved into a home with dark cabinets and need to decide the perimeter counters, design an island and choose countertops for that! yikes! This thread has been very helpful already!