SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

I got my first estimate on my roof and other repairs.

3 years ago

I don't think they're too bad. They've done several roofs on my street and I talked to my next door neighbor yesterday about their roof. No problems. It's about 5 years old. The one beside them is 10 or 11 years old. They're wanting $9274 for a 1400 sq foot house, using GAF Timberline HDZ shingles. I think those are pretty good shingles from what little I know and read up on, on-line.

They're wanting $12000 to tear off my sunroom and build a new porch with a roof. Matching shingles, vinyl ceiling and either wood deck or poured concrete. I'm leaning towards concrete so I don't ever have to deal with it again. I'm also thinking of having them install roll up screens. I asked about wood for the ceiling but they said it would be high maintenance, which I can see, but it'd be really pretty.

$3350 for 6 replacement Anderson 400 series windows.

I know I should get more estimates but I don't think anything they quoted me is unreasonable. They also quoted other smaller repairs that I needed done and the seem okay. What do you think? I've never had anything done to my house before, other than repairing appliances. He did try and talk me into keeping the sunroom and saving money by repairing it. But the doors are really in bad shape and two corners have sunk and so the walls and doors don't close right. I just want it gone.

I'm thinking of going with them because they didn't try and get me to replace every window in my house. The kitchen window has been sheltered from the elements by the sunroom so it looks pretty good still and is on the back of the house so no one is going to see it but me.

Comments (19)