I got my first estimate on my roof and other repairs.
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
My first trellis for tomatoes and other vegetables
Comments (26)@seysonn Was it strong enough? Actually, this thing was extremely solid! I will be doing the exact same setup as far as reinforcements, because for my perticular area it works. I do have a small suburban backyard which is fenced by 14 ft conifers, so they cut down on the wind quite a bit I suppose. Was it tall enough? It was just the right height for my Brandywines, but the cherries ended up going over, so I made a 'roof' between the rows to create some kind of an arch. This was my first run with these cherries, next year I will try to top them and grow them laterally instead. The CRW did not rust though, it is galvanized. @smithmal Thanks for the input, I need to build another trellis for next season (expanding the garden more!!), so I will keep it in mind when designing the next rig. Cheers!...See Morei got my vacuflow estimate. not happy...
Comments (21)Kate, I had a VacuFlo in my old house and wouldn't even consider another brand in the one we're building. That said, I fully intended to have the HAH option, which wasn't available when we built the last house. There are two FacuFlo vendors in my area. Both bid on our job. Neither has ever installed a HAH system and both were very iffy -- maybe I could say downright negative. I'm sure it's their lack of experience with it. One even admitted that. They did encourage the Vroom over the dustpan, and I decided to put them both places I'd planned dustpans, but sadly, gave up the HAH. We were told it would double the price. My biggest concern was that neither really knew what was involved on a first-hand basis. I do know that it requires a larger motor to retract the hose back into the wall. The first bid was almost double what we'd budgeted, based on our square footage. I panicked, seeing my CV flying out the window! The second one came in just a bit over budget, and we felt more comfortable with that installer, anyway. So I'm getting the system I wanted, less the HAH, which I regret, but it's not a disaster. I'm getting a hose and an accessory kit for each floor, so I won't have to lug them up and down. My main point is just to look around. If we'd just called the first place, I might not have a central system at all. Good luck!...See MoreGot my first estimate.
Comments (32)twix-Thanks. Those are good suggestions. There is a sale going right now where we would get $4000 off the price and could do 18 month zero interest. He said they come up here and there and we could watch for them. I'll have to ask about putting the measure money down to hold the price for sure! calumin - We don't have a HD close...about an hour or so away. We do have a Menards and I'll probably check there as well. The custom cabinet shop is actually within a mile of my current home, so I will certainly check with them. I need to check around and find an amish cabinet maker. I know there must be some around but I don't have a name yet. debra-Thanks for clarifying. momtofour- I would really love the extra storage for seasonal items. There are so many things that I would love to have but we lack the storage space right now. Nothing practical really, just pretty items for Thanksgiving dinner and such. I definitely need to find out about the trash! That's a great idea for dog food. We don't have a dog but are hoping to get one when we move. :) needinfo- I probably misused the term "warranty". I'm not as worried about the cabinets breaking or being defective as I am about one of our kids tearing something up accidentally. Then we would need a replacement door or something. Dh was just saying that a bigger company that's been around for a while would be more likely to still be around years from now and we would have access to replacement doors. Probably not a big deal but it was a thought we tossed out there since we have utilized that type of thing in our current home with cabinets that are 20 years old. As for the custom look fitting the space. I see what you are saying. I would like to compare apples to apples as much as possible but I agree that if the custom maker can do more of what we need then we should take that into consideration with their price. jakuvall - Thanks for the pic! gladys- For countertops I really like the solid surface type. At least I think I do. LOL Main reason being that the sink and counter are practically seamless so not as much chance for gunk to be places. andreak-Thank you. I'll have to look into the frameless/Euro you mentioned. I'm not sure of the differences. I was thinking about drawer depth as well. I know I need deeper for the pots/pans and the plates/bowls. Otherwise I'm not sure exactly. I'm going to make a copy of the layout and pencil in where I want things. I have done this partially before but I want to get more detailed. I appreciate all this feedback!...See MoreGot my first spider plant ever!!!
Comments (15)I use these large flexible buckets to collect the rainwater coming off of my roof. I used to use the stiff, rigid kind, but they always ended up cracking on me over time. The flexible ones hold up much better. I wait until it's been raining for quite a while. This gives it time to "flush" out any dirt, leaf litter, etc. from the air and off of my roof. I have the WeatherBug app on my phone, which lets me track the radar, so that I'll know if/when to expect the most rain. Just like I said earlier, it rained all day long, so my large buckets filled up fast. Looking at the radar, I could see that there was more rain coming my way, so I dumped them both out and let them fill back up again with much cleaner rain. After the storms passed, I went out and filled up several one gallon bottles. I use a small half-gallon watering can like this, which makes it easy to fill up the bottles...This also doesn't disturb the water all that much, which doesn't stir up any debris that may have settled down on the bottom of the buckets. For any debris that's floating on the surface, I'll just use a small container to scoop it out beforehand. Then I'll fill up as many gallon bottles as I can. I just store six bottles in each plastic crate. It's kind of a tight squeeze, but they fit. Then I'll stack up each crate and store them away in the corner of my garage until I need them. My garage gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, but the water stays nice and fresh. Just as long as the lids are closed nice and tight. Whenever I do use up any of the bottles, I'll leave the lids off and store them in the crates upside down. This lets any moisture evaporate away. Otherwise, little spots of black mold will start growing on the inside of them. I found that out the hard way, long ago, back when I first started storing up rainwater....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARFirst Things First: How to Prioritize Home Projects
What to do when you’re contemplating home improvements after a move and you don't know where to begin
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
EXTERIORSRoofing Materials: Slate Makes for Fireproof Roofs That Last
It stands up to weather and fire without losing its high-end look. But can your budget handle it?
Full Story
ROOFSRoof Materials: Get an Old-World Look With Clay Roof Tiles
The ancient roof material of choice remains the modern-day ideal for authentic Italian, Mediterranean and Spanish home styles
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESLiving Roofs Crown Green Design
Living roofs save energy, improve air, water, curb appeal — and the view from above doesn't hurt either
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Innovative Home Reunites Generations Under One Roof
Parents build a bright and sunny modern house where they can age in place alongside their 3 grown children and significant others
Full Story
ROOFSHow to Get Your Roof Fixed
Leaky roof? Missing shingles? Here are the basics for tackling that roof repair
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESGive Me a Wall, a Roof, or a House of Glass
Swoon over spaces warmed by sunlight — from one side, or many
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
jemdandy