What are You Cooking or Baking This Month

Marilyn_Sue

Yesterday I fixed a great big pan of baked pasta and a cherry pineapple dump cake and added the last of the marinated vegetable salad and sent it along to my youngest's home. Today I am going to be fixing soup beans, fried potatoes, cornbread, some smoked sausage and I made more of the marinated vegetable salad to send over. I have other menus planned for along the way. What are you fixing?

Sue

SaveComment71Like1
Comments (71)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OklaMoni

Most likely nothing... as I don't bake once it gets hot. So far, I only had the AC on once. If I would bake, I would surely have to turn it on. I just can't justify using the oven, if I need to turn on the Air Conditioner because of it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
satine100

Sue, you are such a good Mom. Want to adopt me? I love to hear about what you are cooking and sharing with your family. I bet you are a really good cook and enjoy doing it. Have a good day. ps Im not cooking or baking.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
two25acres

Trying a sourdough bread today. Let it rise all night, worked it up a bit a little while ago and it's resting/rising again. Fingers crossed.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
rockypointdog

I always have a "recipes to try" list going. I think this month I'm going to work on making soft pretzels. First recipe to try is the king arthur flour one.

fawnridge (Ricky)

Cookies, cookies, and more cookies. Best Colorado cookies in...Colorado.

CA Kate z9

A neighbor brought over a sack of oranges they picked fresh. I zested and then juiced them. Today I plan on making OceanSpray's recipe for Cranberry Bread which needs 3/4 cup juice and 1 Tbl. of zest.

DawnInCal

I am planning to make English muffins this week, probably on Thursday. I have some whey that is a byproduct of making yogurt and I want to try using it instead of water as the liquid in the dough. I am hoping it will give the muffins a nice sour dough like flavor.

I made oatmeal/raisin cookies last night.

Hubby made beef jerky in his smoker the other day - so good, I can't leave it alone!

happy2b…gw

I don't have any dinners in mind except the usual, but I have a few goodies in mind to bake. I bought a large bag of chocolate chips so maybe I will bake some chocolate chip cookies and bring them to the kids. I have some apples that I should use soon. Hubby likes cobbler. My family declared Glenda's no flour peanut butter cookies the best ever, so they are due for another batch.

DawnInCal

I printed Glenda's peanut butter cookie recipe a couple of years ago, but never got around to making them. I am going plan on making them soon, maybe next week after the oatmeal cookies are gone.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I bought a small beef roast so I will be cooking it with potatoes and onions probably tomorrow. Also rice to go with it. I have cukes and wonderful small tomatoes for a salad.

Kroger has been having their small tomatoes on the vine for 99c a package. They are slightly bigger than cherry tomatoes and they are so sweet and delicious. They don't have the firmer skins like many cherry tomatoes. I eat them as a snack.

Rusty

I finally decided to get acquainted with my Instant Pot, I bought it over a month ago, but just haven't been excited about it.

My first 'try' was brown rice, epic fail! Probably my fault, it was nothing but a gummy mushy mass. Oh well.. . . . .

Next was Chicken Giblets. Wow! Definitely the way to go with that! Gizzards were so-o-o-o tender! I did put too much broth in the pot, but that's okay. Also did more brown rice (on the stove) for the giblets.

Sunday I tried Chicken Cacciatore in the Instant Pot. Cooked it too long, the vegetables (except the mushrooms) all but disappeared. But it was very flavorful, and next time I'll know (hopefully)!

I think I'm going to like the Instant Pot, when I get accustomed to using it, but I doubt it will ever be the favorite the air fryer is, I use it almost daily.

Like Moni, I don't use my oven in the summer, but my air fryer works beautifully as a small oven, plenty big enough for just me. One of these days I'm going to try baking some cookies in it. Mix a regular batch of dough, and just bake a few at a time.

Anyone here tried that?

Rusty

rob333 (zone 7a)

Does a summer drink count? I've been looking for the mango margarita recipe for me, and this is it.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/frozen-mango-margarita/

marilyn_c

I've been meaning to make cookies since December. I have so much outside work to do, by the time I get inside in the evenings, I am out of the notion to do anything extra. One of these days.....

bragu_DSM 5

got some cheap OVER ripe bananas ... mongo banana muffins and banana bread ...

ruthanna_gw

Our family’s favorite meal is soup or stew, salad and bread or rolls. It’s a carryover from when I was working and made soup or stews on the weekend to heat up later that week. This week’s was chicken-leek-barley soup. I baked a raisin cake and London bars for our evening teatime treats.

hallngarden

Today, chicken and dumplings; and peach cobbler, corn on the cob. Bought Elote from Trader Joe . Love it on corn.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Home burger, copied from my work lunch place. Chipotle mayo, pepperjack cheese, salsa roja, carmelized onions, serrano and habanero peppers, on a brioche bun. So much effort! I appreciate them even more. Miss you Hopdoddy

socks

Made tomato soup last night, ate half and left half on the counter to cool. Forgot it overnight on the counter, so tossed it this morning. Would probably have been ok, but I cannot afford to find out the hard way. Everyone's food looks so good.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Been making an olive oil flatbread with sesame seeds and fresh rosemary and oregano that's basically rich crackers, and so addictive I can't stop. 1 batch lasts me about 4 days, and then I make another batch. This has actually been going on for more than a month now ☺️

That and homestyle honey wheat bread baked in a well buttered pan so the crust is extra tender and yummy.

And oatmeal cookies with raisins, cinnamon, and walnuts.

I was very pleased to finally get some organic whole wheat flour the other day. Every store I shop has been out of it for weeks.

That raisin cake looks good. I have an extra pound of raisins hanging around...

hallngarden

Today is my country cooking. Dried butter beans and cornbread. Wish I had some fatback. Haven’t fried in years. I glance in grocery store and it’s quite expensive now. We had it at every meal growing up .

nancyofnc

Sweet tooth last three weeks -- pineapple upside down carrot cake, guava paste puff pastry turnovers, banana ice cream, buttermilk doughnuts, chocolate doughnuts, and today - chocolate cake with cherry pie filling center and Alton's improved Buttercream Frosting. All in all I have lost 13 pounds over the last 10 weeks of isolation. We used to go out to eat several times a week but only once in that time as a to go. We live pretty much isolated anyway here in the middle of the woods so our trips to the restaurants was really for human interaction, and I miss my weekly knitting group.

seagrass_gw

Nancyofnc - would you be willing to share the recipe for pineapple upside-down carrot cake? It sounds like two of my dream desserts combined!!

Rose Pekelnicky

Today I am making enchiladas for supper. A very easy and simple recipe I ran across online. I think my son will like them

seagrass_gw

I'm making salmon cakes and coleslaw for supper. Probably enough for us to have leftovers tomorrow.

kadefol

Hot and humid today, so salade niçoise for lunch. And fresh cherries for dessert. Not sure about dinner, maybe just some fruit and yogurt.

Peke

I love my Instant Pot. I make great pasta in it. Takes 1 min high pressure, then 5 min natural release. Rice is probably the same as pasta. Leave it too long, and it will turn to mush. Don't forget you can also use it like a crock pot. I made North African Chicken and Rice with mine this week.

I don't know if this counts, but we grilled salmon and made smoked fish tacos (Cook's Country recipe). I could eat it every day.

I also baked a pan of asparagus lasagna last night......it was the best thing I have eaten in a long time. I had my doubts, but it was wonderful. I only made a small pan with about 6 Lasagna sheets, so it was not nearly enough. My husband and I would have eaten the entire thing if I had made the whole recipe. Three times while eating, he said, "This is a keeper!". He usually says that only once or not at all. ; ).

I use an app called Recipe Keeper that will adjust recipes larger or smaller and download recipes off the internet. Best $5.00 I ever spent.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Got a batch of coconut cookies cooling (yes I cheated, I made cake mix cookies - hanging head in shame.) We are going to have Mexican Chicken Casserole for dinner. I might make some cheese & bean enchiladas to go along with it.

nancyofnc

seagrass_gw - Pinapple Upside Down Carrot Cake: use your favorite recipe to make carrot cake (I add coconut and pecans or walnuts). Put a few tablespoons of butter in a 9x13 pan in the oven while it is heating to 350F. I used @4T. When melted sprinkle a goodly amount of brown sugar over it (no need to stir) then lay out slices of canned pineapple rings - dot centers with pecan halves. Pour the cake batter over and bake like normal. As soon as you take it out of the oven cut it in half and invert a side while covering the other side with a square plate or something so that only one comes out onto a serving dish. Then invert the other one on the plate you covered it with. Use potholders! The melted brown sugar and butter will run down the pineapple and cake. One tip I heard a long time ago and just used it for this - brush the butter up around the sides of the pan and sprinkle with sugar before adding the brown sugar and pineapple on the bottom so the edges get crinkly crusty while the cake bakes. It was so delicious my picky DH ate two huge pieces.

DawnInCal

Ugh! I'm so annoyed with myself. I put all the ingredients in the bread machine to make the dough for my English muffins and I screwed up the settings. It appears that I will be having English muffin bread rather than English muffins. It'll be done baking in about 20 minutes. *sigh*

seagrass_gw

English muffin bread is good! We have a market here that actually sells it!!

seagrass_gw

nancyofnc - thank you so much. I can do this!!

sarahsocal

I hit the wall this week plus work has been crazy, thus we have a lot of takeout. But I did make shrimp last night:

Spicy Calabrian Shrimp

I was skeptical of the recipe when I saw it because it includes parm and I didn't think seafood and cheese were usually combined. But these are super easy and really good (had to get the Calabrian chile paste from Amazon). I have done them in both the oven and on the grill and definitely prefer the grill.

Last week was our 25th Anniversary so we splurged. Porterhouse on the day. Lobster tails the next and crabs legs the third. Not the same as our planned trip to Hawaii but it was good enough.

Damn COVID!!

georgysmom2

So far I've made two loaves of bread. One for a neighbor and one for a friend who in her travels Monday found Charmin T.P. and Bounty towels and was kind enough to pick them up for me. Grab them when you can.

DawnInCal

Returning to report that the English muffin bread is DELICIOUS! What a happy accident that turned out to be!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

You all are making me hungry!

Marilyn_Sue

I made hot chicken salad this week and today, I am fixing turkey breast, candied sweet potatoes, my kids always want this with turkey as well as mashed potatoes and gravy! I will add vegetables and that will go to my daughter's home. Will add more things if I have the time and energy. She is still recovering from her knee replacement surgery and slowly improving. My oldest daughter goes there daily to help out and watch Alyssa. We are busy.

Sue

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I have elk steaks marinading in the fridge that I have to grill tonight. It is grey and damp out with a damp wind coming off the lake. Rain or not...I grill.

Peke

Oh, yum! I have never eaten elk steaks before, but buffalo is wonderful. Making me hungry!

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

I have rhubarb and yet it's not hot outside, so I will be baking something with my rhubarb. Hopefully a quickbread.

I can no longer originate a post on Houzz, except on the phone app, which has its own set of headaches. So I can't ask anyone.

Nor does the search function work, so I will be thrown to the mercies of the general internet! Wish me luck!

caflowerluver

We finally had a cooling down of temperatures, was up in the 80-90's on and off for weeks. I hate heating up the house so haven't done any baking. Yesterday I picked some fresh lemons from our Meyer lemon tree and made lemon bars. I have been craving them for months.

Elizabeth

Did I hear something about mango margaritas? I am grilling flat iron steaks so I could toss another one on if you have a chilled pitcher of them? ☺

hallngarden

Today is homemade chicken pot pie. Dessert will be strawberry shortcake.

NOWAY2Biden

I made a BIG pot of seafood gumbo the other day. I roast a LOT of chicken in the oven. My house doesn't get hot when I use the oven. I'll make my weekly batch of red beans and sausage tomorrow. in the Instant Pot. Tonight will be something to do with chicken tenders.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Yesterday, we had silver dollar pancakes. We never eat pancakes. We loved them! Either we have remembered wrong or it was a good recipe. Today, we'll have balsamic garlic chicken breasts and garlic parmesan orzo that pat_t posted July 14, 2010. Still eating it, because it's good!

Peke

Sonic cheeseburgers and hot fudge shakes tonight....I know. I am cheating. I did bake brownies today though.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

We harvested a nice little pile of sugar snap peas so tonight we are having chicken/sspea/bell pepper & mushroom stirfry. And some frozen egg rolls so I can do them in the toaster oven and not heat up the house.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It's close to dinner time here and I 'll be having leftover bowtie pasta with marinara and meatballs, but not until later. Reading about so many yummy foods, my stomach is rumbling!

Kathsgrdn

Today I made one of my favorite Hello Fresh recipes. One pot Quinoa. It has quinoa, corn, canned tomatoes, black beans, jalapenos, garlic, stock, cumin, chili powder and is topped with feta cheese and sliced avocados. So good. I did end up with too many jalapenos though. I only use half of one and ordered some from Wal-mart for delivery today. I had to buy 1/4 lb. so now have way too many to use by myself. I'll take them to work tomorrow, someone will want them.

I did forget to tip the driver. I feel so bad. I didn't remember until about an hour ago and the tip button was no longer showing. I got busy putting away the groceries, feeding the dogs and then went out to water the garden before it got super hot. Then started making the above mentioned dish.

hallngarden

Today will be spaghetti. Love using my Hunts recipe from 1960. Everything including spaghetti cooks in the same pot. Fresh hot rolls, dessert will be simple; strawberry ice cream.

socks

Cowboy caviar. Lots of recipes online. Basically beans, corn, lime dressing, just about whatever else you think sounds good.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I have a slightly dried-out loaf of bread to use up, so I was going to make chocolate bread pudding. Good thing I looked to see if we have everything. There is maybe 1/4 cup of milk. And all the cream is gone. Guess the pudding will wait until tomorrow after we go to the store. Gonna toss the loaf back in the freezer for now to keep it from going moldy. Phooey.

phyllis__mn

Just took a couple of loaves of rye bread out of the oven...smells so darned good. I make it in the bread machine but bake it in the oven.

nicole___

I fried a couple of chicken breasts, mashed potatoes & gravy. Made a loaf of wheat bread with a dash of Rye flour in it. Buttermilk pancakes from scratch, for breakfast yesterday, with link sausage on the side.

georgysmom2

Tried a new recipe called Banana Bread Snack Cakes. I just wanted to try it because it only called for one banana....no eggs. I actually put in two banana because they were small and they were over ripe. Didn't care for it. Tasted rubbery to me although it had a good banana flavor. I was going to chuck it but I have a friend who has a real sweet tooth and can eat anything without gaining weight (great metabolism,) so I asked her if she wanted it. Most of my friends try to stay away from sweets and I'm the one who spent two days in the hospital (knee surgery) and gained 6 lbs.! Bad metabolism and don't tell me it was just water weight because it took months to lose the 6 lbs. If I'm going to eat something I shouldn't, it has to be super delicious. This was not! :-))))

hallngarden

Today was vegetable day. Green beans,potatoes, pickled beets, and oven fried okra.

Debby

I just popped some banana bread muffins in the oven. I have wanted to bake bread the old fashioned way for a few weeks, and may still do that either tonight or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow though, it's already going on 5:30 here. I usually use the bread machine, but miss baking it the hard way.

Marilyn_Sue

I am going to a cookout at my youngest daughter's in a bit. I made peach dumplings, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and apple salad to take.

Sue

Save    
hallngarden

Today was fried shrimp, oven fried potatoes, green salad, apple fritters

sheilajoyce_gw

I am baking peanut butter cookies trying to use up the 2 jars of PB that DH bought when there wasn't much to choose from in the stores. Don't like the brands, so they are becoming cookies to use them up.

Lucille

Made a soup with a combo of split peas and dal lentils cooked with pork hocks, served with hot biscuits.

two25acres

Made a sourdough sandwich bread in my new pullman loaf pan. Just ate our first sandwich of fried bologna and cucumbers with it. Even hubby liked it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
hallngarden

Wow, two25acres, beautiful loaf of bread. Bring us a bologna sandwich. Pregnant with first baby, 50 years ago, I craved bologna sandwiches all the time. It’s been a while since I have eaten bologna. Sounds great. Today I cooked dried pinto beans , will make chili when they are cooked.

Trailrunner D

two25acres Can you share your SD recipe? I love using my Pullman pan with the lid for SD. Your loaf is beautiful. Do you have a lid? It makes a great sandwich slice. TIA. c

two25acres

Mine did not come with a lid, there is one available but I'm not sure I need it. I've had to try several recipes and make some substitutions due to the size of the loaf. Basically it's 1.5 Cups of water, about 2 cups of starter, 1.5 tsp of sugar or honey, 1.5 tsp. salt and 1 Tbs of melted/salted butter. Mix together and add 5.5 -6.0 Cups of flour (I'm using King Arthur unbleached/all purpose right now). Let it mix/knead for 8 minutes. I take it out of the mixer onto a lightly floured counter and let it rest for a few minutes, makes it easier to work with. Then I simply shape into a rectangle wide as my pans length, roll it up and let it rise. My rise time has varied depending on the weather. Once it's slightly above the pans edge I slather it with melted butter, bake it at 400 for about 40 - 55 minutes. My oven is not the greatest and my cook time varies. I do turn the loaf several times as well. When done I slather it with butter. Let it completely cool before slicing. I'm making another one right now that I did add some rosemary essential oil to. Not even a drop of it though, I use a toothpick and dip it into the oil and use only whats on the end.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Apparently, I'm in a creative mood, and am having things I've never made before. Probably unimaginative for others. Had apple pie oatmeal for breakfast, basil pesto chicken salad sandwich for lunch and planning to try chicken enchiladas for dinner. I've never made any of those. Loved the first two, hoping for good luck on the third.

ETA: pretty close to what we wanted, but maybe too heavy on the chili for us

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

The inside contents I made up as I went along.

Trailrunner D

Thank you two25acres!

Annie Deighnaugh

I made another Irish Soda Bread. Last time I cut the cross too deep and the thing blew apart. This time I didn't cut it so deep, but then the bottom exploded. I'll get there eventually!

seagrass_gw

That's funny, Annie.

nancyofnc

Craving pizza and too old to go out to get some. Made Jeff Mauro's Chicago Deep Dish with a ton of mozzarella, turkey pepperoni, turkey breakfast sausage in little balls (stove top fried), sliced onions, black olives, lots of garlic, dried basil and oregano, and waaaay too much canned diced tomatoes, with Parmesan sprinkled heavily on top. I buttered a 9x13 pan and sprinkled Parmesan cheese for the crispy edges it makes. It rose dramatically, was gooey and delicious, but we did pick out the tomatoes. Instead of putting in the drained tomatoes I should have put in the liquid and used the tomatoes for something else. Now I have to figure out what to do with the Parmesan topped tomatoes we're left with. I love the recipe as it is thick, puffy and tasty though it takes 6 hours to let it rise according to the instructions. It did get doubled in size in 1 hour - next time....

hallngarden

We walked to dock and bought shrimp from a boat that just came in. Grilling potatoes, corn,and tomatoes. Ice cream for dessert.

seagrass_gw

When DH went grocery shopping last Friday, I had blueberries on the list. I like blueberries and sliced bananas in my breakfast cereal. They had 2 for 1 on sale. I can't eat them all before they get shriveled, so I'm going to add them to a nice Krusteaz cornbread mix I have and make blueberry cornbread muffins. I'm a non-baker but I can do this!!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Design: Baking Stations Make Cooking More Fun
Get inspired to cook (and simplify holiday prep) with a dedicated space for baking
Full Story
Room of the Day Fewer Walls Give This Family More Space to Cook, Bake and Craft
A designer works with Massachusetts homeowners to create an open floor plan for their dining room, kitchen and mudroom
Full Story
Kitchen Design 10 Cozy Kitchens to Inspire Fall Cooking, Baking and Dreaming
These inviting kitchens may give you the urge to bake — or to start dreaming up a cozy kitchen of your own
Full Story