SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Harbor Breeze vs Hunter ceiling fans - replacement capacitors?

Peke
3 years ago

I have never bought Harbor Breeze fans, but I have bought Hunter. I have 6 identical Hunter ceiling fans, and all 6 had the capacitors go out. Some went out after the warranty expired, and some went out after 3 or 4 years. I know Hunter does not sell the parts, but Harbor Breeze does.

My questions:

1. Are Harbor Breeze fans equivalent to Hunter fans? Hunter fans don't seem to last that long now. Since I can buy capacitors at Lowe's for Harbor Breeze fans, I am leaning toward that brand. We have had ceiling fans for 45 years and never had to replace parts before. What is your opinion?

I took apart the Hunter fans, and I found the 2 capacitors (for run/start and speed). I know that the capacitors hold a charge so I took care of that so I would not be shocked. Now, I am looking for generic replacement capacitors. CBB61 is the style for both. 1 is a 2 wire (red & white) with 5 uF (not u, but no other symbol to use), 300 VAC 50/60 Hz, max temp +85° C. The other is a 5 wire with 5 uF, 5 uF, and 3.5 uF, 250 VAC 50/60Hz C +/-5%, max temp +85°C. (Wires are 2 gray, green, brown, and purple).

2. I have read that the uF numbers are MOST important, but I am having trouble matching the 300 VAC and 250 VAC. I don't know what VAC is, but I read that if the volts are smaller on the original capacitors, then I could use a new capacitor with larger volts, but not the other way around. Amazon lists some capacitors as for new tech ceiling fans....whatever that means.

I want to get the correct replacements, and I don't want to start a fire. Can anyone shed some light on which ones to buy IF I can't find identical capacitors? Thanks.

Comments (23)