SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlwithtools

Help! Can I install a used Miele Freezer F1811 SF/31 in this space?

girlwithtools
3 years ago

Hi everyone -- long time lurker. Sorry this will be long. My kitchen designer will not return my calls or emails and I just have a question about how Miele freezers fit into the built-in opening. Back story is that I suspect its because they are worried about a problem with my installation. I am not really sure. My husband said the cabinets were slid off the back of the truck -- so I need some replacement shelves and some repairs, which I'm willing to deal with. Anyways.... back to my question... because of current work environment/covid situation, I have held off on ordering the planned 30" all freezer column. I did order the Miele all fridge and a cheap upright freezer that we would rig on our covered deck if we can't get it to cool in the built-in spot for the planned Miele freezer. Trying to hold some cash right now until we are sure jobs are secure.

While searching for a set of used washer/dryers (my 20 yr old W1926 is really banging loudly and the reasonable pair guy thinks I'm nuts to keep fixing it) I found a used F1811 with the hinges where I need them that my store's Miele rep says was originally sold in July 2012. So this thing is with its second owner and rigged in a garage so its worn hard. A little rust on the front and filthy on the inside with obvious frozen drips of possibly game and ice cream. They are asking $550 and they have truck and trailer and ramps to help me get it here. If I could just get it functional for a couple years, I would be thrilled. New current model would be $8,499 plus about 8.5% tax. My kitchen would still be beautiful and functional with faded white plastic interior and a little rust on the front.

The problem is this weird /31 in the model number. I have measured the front of the machine and it is 31" wide. My cabinet opening is 30", which is what the specs for the new version of this freezer require. There is a frame/collar attached to the front of the machine that makes it be 31" wide. Is this an extra piece that I can throw away and just shove this thing into my cabinet opening? Sounds too easy. Or are there different install options that are planned for in advance that I just don't see on the Miele website? My concern is also that on the left side of my cabinet opening, I have a cabinet door that comes all the way to the edge. Does that seem correct? is this an error on installation and there should be a vertical 3/4" inch piece there for the freezer to set against?

I know the designer mentioned/asked about how the freezer sits way back when designing the kitchen and I told her whatever she thought was normal or best is fine for me. It was so long ago, I just can't remember how she described these things going in.

I am attaching picture of my cabinet opening; the used freezer rigged in the seller's garage; a close-up of the frame/collar that makes it 31" wide. If I install it with that collar, it goes over the doors of the thin cabinets to the left. If I ordered a brand new Miele, would that also be the case? I have studied the Miele install specs and it requires 30" wide opening. I don't see any other requirement of a blank 3/4" vertical all around. My carpenter who helped get the room ready for the KD to measure helped pour over the specs of everything with me. So many details hashed out I am super bummed if kitchen designer didn't plan this right. Maybe new Miele's fit just fine in this spot. KD was given the newer model number; then Miele changed models between time cabinets ordered and installed. This used freezer I found is from 2 generations ago perhaps??? I was hoping that among all generations, that a 30" miele could always be bought to replace an older 30" miele at the end of its life to fit the same spot in the kitchen.

Am I making sense? I'm afraid there are so many words here I am just babbling.

Please ask for clarifications or more pictures or whatever you need to help me.

My opening is 30" wide ; 84-1/4 tall and 25-3/4" deep. Extra pictures of the kitchen from farther back.

Comment (1)