SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

they didn't ask what size grout line and it looks too big to me

bridget helm
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

we are doing a master bath renovation. tore everything out down to the studs. I really like our contractor and his team, and he usually asks me before moving forward with anything major. I walked in last week and noticed the floor tile grout line was big. it may be "standard" but I was hoping for a much tighter grout line. I didn't specify but I didn't know they were installing tile that day until they were done. there's no grout yet, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything. yesterday I walked in at the end of the day and saw that they had started the 4x8 subway tile wainscoat and used spacers. they had completed the 3 walls that surround the wall and I don't like the size of that grout line either. I thought subway tiles came with there own spacing so always ended up with pretty tight grout lines. these grout lines are big. they are working on the rest of the bathroom now and I don't know if I should say anything or not. my husband thinks it's fine, but I think it's too big. we have subway tile wainscoat in our powder room and subway tile backsplashes in our laundry room and kitchen and the contractor saw these so why would he use a grout line bigger than those and why wouldn't he have asked. I suppose it's my fault too for not specifying but when I picked out my subway tile with his wife and we were trying to decide on grout color and going round and round, she said "you'll barely have a grout line anyway, so it really doesn't matter THAT much. David is going to make a tight grout line." but it's not tight at all :(

i'll post pics in a minute. hopefully i'm overreacting

what should I do?

(the purple is the waterproof backer—it’s not a paint choice ;)

nothing is painted yet

Comments (19)